Survey on two person in the cockpit rule

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Did the two person in the flight deck rule increase security ?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:20 am

Yes it did
20%
No it did not
66%
Not certain
14%

Total votes: 100

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Survey on two person in the cockpit rule

Post by Rockie »

The FAA still has the rule. What risk are you talking about? FA’s still come to the flight deck just as much as they always have. Pilots still go to the lav just as much as they always have. Flight attendants have not been banned from the flight deck for any other reason including as JS riders. The flight deck door is opened just as many times and for just as long as it always has.

What risk has been mitigated by ditching the rule?

Perhaps you could explain your point in simpler terms Jack for dummies like me.
---------- ADS -----------

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Rockie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:19 am The FAA still has the rule. What risk are you talking about? FA’s still come to the flight deck just as much as they always have. Pilots still go to the lav just as much as they always have. Flight attendants have not been banned from the flight deck for any other reason including as JS riders. The flight deck door is opened just as many times and for just as long as it always has.

What risk has been mitigated by ditching the rule?

Perhaps you could explain your point in simpler terms Jack for dummies like me.
I asked a simple question, you can’t seem to answer, so no, it seems I am unable to put this in simpler terms, for someone like you.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I did answer your question Jack. Your training didn’t gain you access to the flight deck, it gained you the seat behind the controls as a qualified pilot. FA training doesn’t gain them access to the flightdeck, it gains them their jumpseat as a qualified flight attendant. Neither your training or theirs has anything uniquely specific to do with the flightdeck door since both of you are able to go through it...right?

Answered another way, the time it takes for both you and an FA to gain access to the flightdeck is however long it takes for either of you to enter the code and someone on the inside to:

A) push the button, or
B) open it manually.

Let’s say 4 seconds - 6 if you’re slow. Kind of the point of this whole conversation, and neither A or B requires astronaut training to accomplish.

Once again, what risk is being mitigated by ditching the rule?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”