Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Post by garfield »

Lots? I would say about 33% of the population max will feel safe...
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 am Dont take my word for it. Read it directly in the UK government’s own website.

https://www.gov.uk/transition
The UK has left the EU
There is a transition period to settle certain matters but the EU not longer makes policy for the UK. The list of 14 countries the EU opened up to is not valid for the UK which drew up it own list, much longer than the EU’s but that does NOT include Canada.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -corridors

The UK has a problem similar to Canada’s. It is made up of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which all make their own policies. You will notice that the travel advisory above does not say the « UK » but « England ».....

It’s like if Trudeau opened Canada to travellers of certain countries but that these travellers, once in Canada, were barred from visiting the Maritimes, as I am now.......
I think the premier of Ontario said it best the other day.....spend locally and help your own economy. For those who are fairly secure.....Instead of spending three or four grand in France, how about spending half that much in your home province on something that you have wanted to do for years and the rest shopping and at restaurants. Now might be a good time to get that float rating you always thought about, or a new boat or some sort of recreation. In fact, for those that are financially secure, now is really the time to spend more than you normally would in this country to help things along. If you were thinking of a purchase previously, it might be best to do it now before the GST goes up as many predict it will.

Help our economy.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

digits_ wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 pm
Launchpad1 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Also, the consequences of getting sick in Italy are disastrous.
Exactly. There's an important point to consider too in that alot of travel insurance companies are not covering if you get ill from covid-19 while abroad.
Which, ironically, is what they should be doing if they want to keep selling travel insurance.
Yes. Because a $2,000 travel insurance premium will definitely cover the insurer's costs in paying for your ambulance, diagnostics, hospital care, meds, and potentially a medevac or, worst case, a repatriation flight in case your treatment is not successful. 8)

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 am Dont take my word for it. Read it directly in the UK government’s own website.

https://www.gov.uk/transition
The UK has left the EU
There is a transition period to settle certain matters but the EU not longer makes policy for the UK. The list of 14 countries the EU opened up to is not valid for the UK which drew up it own list, much longer than the EU’s but that does NOT include Canada.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -corridors

The UK has a problem similar to Canada’s. It is made up of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which all make their own policies. You will notice that the travel advisory above does not say the « UK » but « England ».....

It’s like if Trudeau opened Canada to travellers of certain countries but that these travellers, once in Canada, were barred from visiting the Maritimes, as I am now.......
I'm quite aware of what's going on in the UK. I live here.

I'm also quite aware of the travel corridors. Since the Canada-UK one could affect me quite directly.

Play with words all you want about policy or transition period, I was simply correcting your statement that the UK is no longer in the EU.

They are.

And many EU countries have been making their own policies about such things as border closures and mask wearing etc during Covid. Nothing special about the UK in that regard. The only exceptional thing about the UK is the fact they've handled the crisis even worse than pretty much every other country in the world, even the US and Brazil.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.49.50 PM.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.49.50 PM.JPG (101.84 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Um, no. Great Britain left the EU.

Per the BBC:
The UK stopped being a member of the European Union (EU) at 23:00 GMT on 31 January 2020.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

re. the UK and the EU. Every country will deal with this differently, and some countries will act like nothing has happened to the average person. Business rules are different, but to most people, they will go to France and Spain for holiday as before. Residency rules are different, but for a few weeks it is no different. This is my take on it anyways, and as with most things nowadays, everything is kind of up in the air - unless it isn't of course.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:02 pm I think the premier of Ontario said it best the other day.....spend locally and help your own economy. For those who are fairly secure.....Instead of spending three or four grand in France, how about spending half that much in your home province on something that you have wanted to do for years and the rest shopping and at restaurants. Now might be a good time to get that float rating you always thought about, or a new boat or some sort of recreation. In fact, for those that are financially secure, now is really the time to spend more than you normally would in this country to help things along. If you were thinking of a purchase previously, it might be best to do it now before the GST goes up as many predict it will.

Help our economy.
That's what I'm doing :) Doing a three week wilderness expedition in a couple of weeks (to be fair, it was planned long before Covid happened). I was originally looking at equipment and food vendors all over the world, but now, only the ones in Canada, and preferably Ontario.

It also feels pretty good giving a leg up to an outfitter or two in NWO. Too bad we can't justify a fly-in.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

photofly wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:43 pm Um, no. Great Britain left the EU.

Per the BBC:
The UK stopped being a member of the European Union (EU) at 23:00 GMT on 31 January 2020.
The country is neither Great nor United anymore.

Right now, all EU rules still apply. They may have left, but no deal is done. For all intents in purposes (Customs and Immigration, trade, travel, everything) they are still in the EU. That is the point I will try to make for the third time. The UK is very much bound to the EU during the transition period. As much as the Little Englanders hate it. Nothing has changed, the negotiations are ongoing. The real exit happens December 31 2020. There is a legal definition of leaving and then there is the physical practicality of it. Politicians like BoJo trumpet the former, the populace has to live with the latter.

And the Britannia Unchained psychos are failing spectacularly to negotiate any sort of agreement to replace EU rules. It will be a shitshow in December.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

The only exceptional thing about the UK is the fact they've handled the crisis even worse than pretty much every other country in the world, even the US and Brazil.
Ah come on now that's not exactly true is it.

This kind of hand wringing negativity is a big part of the reason I left the UK. Boris might not have done the best job (although remember he was in the hospital with it himself for awhile so maybe cut him some slack) but he did alot better than Trump and Bolsanaro!

Totally different topic but I personally hope that now the UK has left the EU it will regain some of it's inventive spirit and positivity that it used to have a long time ago.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The huge differences in how this particular disease is presenting in different countries might suggest that there are more than one variant of the Virus that escaped the laboratory where over 4000 zoonotic virus samples were stored. And yet they destroyed the first samples from infected people . Suspicious ?
Time will tell .

As for the cowardly backstabbing against the UK by some on this site . I take great pride in the huge contributions to the world those small islands have made to humanity. Feel free to contribute to make the world a better place . Do not let your bickering backstabbing prevent you from helping humanity :)

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I really have trouble with the concept of the UK not being a part of Europe. To the rest of the world it always has been, but to them, it isn't. Just Island mentality I suppose, and fear of things different - I know the arguments against the bureaucracy etc. It is certainly difficult to remain apart from your fellow citizens though, when there are so many jammed into a tiny space that is the British Isles (sorry Scotland and Wales), especially Down South. I wish they would get this thing sorted so I can go back on a nice long holiday.

Until somebody says different, the EU rules probably apply, so referring to them regarding UK travel is likely a prudent option. Why don't they just say "we are not in Europe anymore" and then go on as before? This is the realistic option anyhow.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Launchpad1 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Also, the consequences of getting sick in Italy are disastrous.
Exactly. There's an important point to consider too in that alot of travel insurance companies are not covering if you get ill from covid-19 while abroad.
Transat will include health insurance for Covid to their passengers.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”