Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Travel restrictions in EU vs Canada

Post by Eric Janson »

photofly wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:56 am I don't think people feel flying is unsafe. I think people feel being somewhere other than home is unsafe.
I disagree - flying as a passenger is the riskiest thing I do at the moment.

- No social distancing on the Airlines I've travelled on.
- No idea who I'm travelling with or what they've been exposed to.
- Until fairly recently masks not mandatory on board on some Airlines.
- The Health Declaration Form is a joke - is someone really going to answer "Yes" knowing that they will be unable to travel and/or enter the country?
- A lot of airports have taken zero precautions - not even a temperature scan on arrival.

Outside of this I can control where I go and social distance.
---------- ADS -----------

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:56 am
gustind wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:21 am
Compared to having a private lab at each major airport, these are the solutions to get us back to living a normal life where we don't have to stand 2m away from each other. Combine this with tracing technology and flying becomes pretty safe.
I don't think people feel flying is unsafe. I think people feel being somewhere other than home is unsafe.
Considering how many people leave home and go out for non-essential activities, I wouldn't consider that generalization as anywhere close to accurate. One need only look at the beaches on July 1.

For myself, I certainly go out a lot for non-essential activities like I suspect most of us have been doing to some extent. But.......I do try to avoid certain areas where I can be traced. Why.......If I go to a store and it turns out that one of the many workers there had Covid, there may be a note in the news for anyone who happened to be in that store to monitor for 14 days and get a test. No problem.

But....for my medical check the other day, if one of the employees or other patients had the virus during my visit, I will be traced and quarantined. Same thing but possibly worse if I am in row 22 of an Air Canada flight and someone in the far side of row 25 is discovered to have had Covid. I will be told I have to isolate for 14 days(note: exact detailed criteria for who has to isolate may be wrong but you get the general idea), and it very well may be in a city that is not my home city.

So I prefer to avoid being traceable. Even though I feel fairly safe.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’m happy to go to the store. There’s no way I’m going to Italy.

I would like my mother to visit, and she’s happy to travel. She just doesn’t want to sojourn in Canada.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:41 am I’m happy to go to the store. There’s no way I’m going to Italy.

I would like my mother to visit, and she’s happy to travel. She just doesn’t want to sojourn in Canada.
Italy has less cases of Covid than Canada. So why would you feel safer going to the store, than going to Italy?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

(Fewer.)

Because people (me included) prefer the known to the unknown. The store is familiar, therefore ‘safe’. Italy isn’t familiar, so it’s dangerous. Also, the consequences of getting sick in Italy are disastrous.

Travel isn’t going to pick up for a long long time, and health checks at the airport won’t help.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 pm (Fewer.)

Because people (me included) prefer the known to the unknown. The store is familiar, therefore ‘safe’. Italy isn’t familiar, so it’s dangerous. Also, the consequences of getting sick in Italy are disastrous.

Travel isn’t going to pick up for a long long time, and health checks at the airport won’t help.
Not everyone is like you. Lots will feel safe traveling, especially once the 2 week quarantine is removed. But, feel safe at home.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

truedude wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:04 pm Not everyone is like you. Lots will feel safe traveling, especially once the 2 week quarantine is removed. But, feel safe at home.
If you read my post above you'll see why travelling on an aircraft is the riskiest thing you can do right now imho.

I'm only comfortable on our own aircraft with the same group of crew members every time. That's a controlled environment.

How do you think this virus was spread in the first place?

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

truedude wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:04 pmNot everyone is like you. Lots will feel safe traveling
Some will. But do you think having a COVID-19 test at the airport will be the deciding factor for many? I doubt it.

You know as well as I do that the travel industry is screwed for a good few years. It’s not the airlines’ fault, but there’s nothing they can do about it.

Last edited by photofly on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Eric Janson wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:42 pm How do you think this virus was spread in the first place?
By sick people travelling, and infecting others during their stay at their destinations. Not by infecting people during travel.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Also, the consequences of getting sick in Italy are disastrous.
Exactly. There's an important point to consider too in that alot of travel insurance companies are not covering if you get ill from covid-19 while abroad.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Launchpad1 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Exactly. There's an important point to consider too in that alot of travel insurance companies are not covering if you get ill from covid-19 while abroad.
Which, ironically, is what they should be doing if they want to keep selling travel insurance.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fur1ough
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fur1ough »

photofly wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 pm (Fewer.)

Yeah I don't think as many people see things like you do, as you think.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:33 pm The UK which is no longer part of the EU published its own list of countries whose residents are exempt from Quarantine when arriving in the UK. This list does not include Canada, China or the United States....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -corridors

The UK is part of the EU until December 31, 2020.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Dont take my word for it. Read it directly in the UK government’s own website.

https://www.gov.uk/transition
The UK has left the EU
There is a transition period to settle certain matters but the EU not longer makes policy for the UK. The list of 14 countries the EU opened up to is not valid for the UK which drew up it own list, much longer than the EU’s but that does NOT include Canada.

The UK has a problem similar to Canada’s. It is made up of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which all make their own policies. You will notice that the travel advisory above does not say the « UK » but « England ».....

It’s like if Trudeau opened Canada to travellers of certain countries but that these travellers, once in Canada, were barred from visiting the Maritimes, as I am now.......

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

truedude wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:04 pm Lots will feel safe traveling, especially once the 2 week quarantine is removed.
And lots of people won't.

The question then becomes whether or not the decrease in demand will lower prices enough (hah!) to sufficiently entice those sitting on the fence.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Lots? I would say about 33% of the population max will feel safe...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 am Dont take my word for it. Read it directly in the UK government’s own website.

The UK has left the EU
There is a transition period to settle certain matters but the EU not longer makes policy for the UK. The list of 14 countries the EU opened up to is not valid for the UK which drew up it own list, much longer than the EU’s but that does NOT include Canada.

The UK has a problem similar to Canada’s. It is made up of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which all make their own policies. You will notice that the travel advisory above does not say the « UK » but « England ».....

It’s like if Trudeau opened Canada to travellers of certain countries but that these travellers, once in Canada, were barred from visiting the Maritimes, as I am now.......
I think the premier of Ontario said it best the other day.....spend locally and help your own economy. For those who are fairly secure.....Instead of spending three or four grand in France, how about spending half that much in your home province on something that you have wanted to do for years and the rest shopping and at restaurants. Now might be a good time to get that float rating you always thought about, or a new boat or some sort of recreation. In fact, for those that are financially secure, now is really the time to spend more than you normally would in this country to help things along. If you were thinking of a purchase previously, it might be best to do it now before the GST goes up as many predict it will.

Help our economy.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

digits_ wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 pm
Launchpad1 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Which, ironically, is what they should be doing if they want to keep selling travel insurance.
Yes. Because a $2,000 travel insurance premium will definitely cover the insurer's costs in paying for your ambulance, diagnostics, hospital care, meds, and potentially a medevac or, worst case, a repatriation flight in case your treatment is not successful. 8)

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 am Dont take my word for it. Read it directly in the UK government’s own website.

The UK has left the EU

I'm quite aware of what's going on in the UK. I live here.

I'm also quite aware of the travel corridors. Since the Canada-UK one could affect me quite directly.

Play with words all you want about policy or transition period, I was simply correcting your statement that the UK is no longer in the EU.

They are.

And many EU countries have been making their own policies about such things as border closures and mask wearing etc during Covid. Nothing special about the UK in that regard. The only exceptional thing about the UK is the fact they've handled the crisis even worse than pretty much every other country in the world, even the US and Brazil.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.49.50 PM.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.49.50 PM.JPG (101.84 KiB) Viewed 1502 times

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Um, no. Great Britain left the EU.

Per the BBC:
The UK stopped being a member of the European Union (EU) at 23:00 GMT on 31 January 2020.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”