Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Current domestic load factors

Post by trey kule »

Title says it all.
Anyone know what the loads are these days?
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
fur1ough
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Current domestic load factors

Post by fur1ough »

I'm currently getting loaded every day.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

trey kule wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 pm Anyone know what the loads are these days?
Surprisingly high at AC it seems, though that doesn’t tell the whole story. Load factors really only indicate how efficiently the airline has matched the fleet and schedule to demand.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

True that there is more than load levels, but it is a piece of the picture.
Can you be a bit more specific than “ surprisingly high” With some solid data.

“Surprisingly high” is a bit subjective depending on The level of your surprise bar.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Yhz-Yyt has been hammered since the opened the “Atlantic bubble” a week or so ago

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Personal experience: AC A330 YVR-YYZ...flight was full and some people on stby couldn’t jump in.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Air Canada is very good at yield-management. They will add or subtract capacity based on historical performance and projections which is only a rough guess, but the planes that are committed still get filled by adjusting fares and overbooking. The only exception are routes that have overcapacity due to equipment type and the local market.. but even that can be fixed by offering lower fares on connecting flights.

I’m not surprised at all that Air Canada continues to have high load factors.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

trey kule wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:54 am True that there is more than load levels, but it is a piece of the picture.
Can you be a bit more specific than “ surprisingly high” With some solid data.

“Surprisingly high” is a bit subjective depending on The level of your surprise bar.
I operate domestically at what seems to be a minimum of 75% (I haven’t been keeping data because I don’t care) and my commute is full enough to be dicey on standby every single time for the last month or so.

I have friends who are excited to be flying full airplanes again but it’s important to bear in mind that right now a single 220 could be covering what took a half dozen 321s to do a year ago.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

I’ve only been on a handful of flights (6) in the past 2 months. All were wide open. Anywhere from 7 pax to roughly 1/2 full. I’m sure domestic Lf is higher then anything else.

Pretty strange going through pre clear my first flight and I was the only person in security and customs.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

According to this website :

https://www.planespotters.net/

Air Canada has a fleet of 171 aircraft
Air Canada Rouge has a fleet of 19 aircraft
Jazz has a fleet of 115 aircraft
Air Canada Express has a fleet of 137 aircraft
There are a grand total of 442 aircraft flown by Air Canada or by other carriers but exclusively for Air Canada.

According to this site:
https://www.flightradar24.com

28 of those 442 aircraft are presently in the air. It is 10:18 Eastern time on a Tuesday Morning of the month of July.

I know that a few of those aircraft are flying cargo. But even if all the others are 100% full of premium paying passengers, the situation is still apocalyptic.

I hope that the Minister of Transport is done watching the Sopranos......

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The dearth of demand due COVID related anxiety and travel restrictions has lead to a dearth of flights, a dearth of passengers, and therefore a dearth of meaningful revenue.

This is well below previous ‘worst case’ financial forecasts for all of the CDN carriers.

Present trends continuing will lead to inevitable CCAA filings in order to void aircraft leases, commercial agreements, vendor agreements, and perhaps collective bargaining agreements.

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 am According to this website :

There are a grand total of 442 aircraft flown by Air Canada or by other carriers but exclusively for Air Canada.

According to this site:

28 of those 442 aircraft are presently in the air. It is 10:18 Eastern time on a Tuesday Morning of the month of July.

I know that a few of those aircraft are flying cargo. But even if all the others are 100% full of premium paying passengers, the situation is still apocalyptic.

The same website also indicates the actual number of aircraft that have not been parked.

AC 99 Active
Jazz 64 Active
Rouge 0 Active
Sky Regional ? Active

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

rudder wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:08 am The dearth of demand due COVID related anxiety and travel restrictions has lead to a dearth of flights, a dearth of passengers, and therefore a dearth of meaningful revenue.

This is well below previous ‘worst case’ financial forecasts for all of the CDN carriers.

Present trends continuing will lead to inevitable CCAA filings in order to void aircraft leases, commercial agreements, vendor agreements, and perhaps collective bargaining agreements.
CCAA may end up being inevitable the way things are going, or for that matter not going. The cascading effects of a CCAA filing will be a deja vu of 2003. Leasing companies are already in a world of hurt, I can't help but think this will be extremely difficult for Jazz as they are also through their Chorus division leasing aircraft to other airlines, some of which I believe are not paying their leases. I have an ominous feeling their commercial agreement with AC, aka CPA, will soon take a significant haircut, with or without a CCAA filing.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

U.S. Airlines Face End of Business Travel as They Knew It

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ey-knew-it

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

prop2jet wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

According to this site:

The same website also indicates the actual number of aircraft that have not been parked.

AC 99 Active
Jazz 64 Active
Rouge 0 Active
Sky Regional ? Active
It would be interesting to know what the actual utilization rate is on the current active aircraft? I don't imagine it's very high.

Wammer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wammer »

Splash wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am
prop2jet wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

According to this site:

AC 99 Active
Jazz 64 Active
Rouge 0 Active
Sky Regional ? Active
It would be interesting to know what the actual utilization rate is on the current active aircraft? I don't imagine it's very high.
Purely anecdotal, but I’ve been on three AC flights in the last 3ish weeks, YYC-YUL, YUL- YYC and YVR-YUL, and they’ve been over 90% full for sure.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

dhc# wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:41 am U.S. Airlines Face End of Business Travel as They Knew It

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ey-knew-it
I've heard this exact bullshit after the 2008 crisis. People will teleconference. Ppl will do this ppl will do that......

I call bullshit!

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

The vaccine is starting to look very promising. This crisis will end one day and people will return to flying back to 2019 levels in 2-3 years. Don’t listen to the doom and gloomers on media/website, they are there to get ad clicks on their website/channel.

Will there be economic hardship in the short term? Yes

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

fur1ough wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 pm I'm currently getting loaded every day.
I think that's a viable long term strategy moving forward. It's what I plan to do.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”