Bill Morneau resigns

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Bill Morneau resigns

Post by Old fella »

Localizer wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:59 pm So Harper prorogued parliament to avoid a confidence vote ... Trudeau prorogued parliament to shutdown committees that exposed his “not so sunny ways”.

One case is a political strategy .. the other shows how gutless he is.
Actually JT prorogation is a political strategy because it is a reset of Parliament , Speech from the Throne to outline the agenda going forward which is a Confidence Motion. Now JT isn’t commenting about the demands to resign but he is calling the opposition bluff to defeat him in a non- confidence motion and the CPC is going to need the support of the NDP/BQ and Greens + Independent MP(s) to do exactly that. Here is your chance , defeat JT and take your chance with the Electorate , the very group that has the final say who get the keys to the PM’s big office. Tis that simple - over and out.
---------- ADS -----------

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Actually JT prorogation is a political strategy because it is a reset of Parliament , Speech from the Throne to outline the agenda going forward which is a Confidence Motion. Now JT isn’t commenting about the demands to resign but he is calling the opposition bluff to defeat him in a non- confidence motion and the CPC is going to need the support of the NDP/BQ and Greens + Independent MP(s) to do exactly that. Here is your chance , defeat JT and take your chance with the Electorate , the very group that has the final say who get the keys to the PM’s big office. Tis that simple - over and out.
We both know this will not happen. The NDP can't afford an election so they won't rock the boat .. instead they'll support the government and claim victory over peanut concessions from JT. We are the pawns ..

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Prorogation has a number of reasons, as mentioned it is a method of calling the oppositions bluff around a confidence vote on the throne speech - and of late the opposition including Singh (NDP) have been intimating that they would vote against the government. There is, of course, time to change their tune prior to a vote...

The second reason is to shut down the MPs committees that are investigating Trudeau/Morneau and the WE scandal (WE-gate?), independent of the Ethics Commissioner's investigation.

Prorogation does not shut down the Ethics Commissioner's investigation, though; so there's still a very good chance that this won't "go away" as hoped by Trudeau and others.

One does have to wonder, if the party apparatchiks aren't agitating for a new leader of the Liberal Party - as they were apparently doing so when the polls showed a Liberal Minority was in the offing prior to the last election. Of course, the polls now are apparently showing "strong" support for Trudeau/Liberals; but the only poll that actually counts is the one at the ballot box...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Into my ‘70s now so have seen plenty on the political scene. Prorogation is nothing new and all Governments over the years regardless of stripe have do so for their own political advantage be it majority/minority situation. To single out any former or sitting PM and compare to what others did/didn’t is rather a silly argument :roll:

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Should I take a left seat job on a PC12 or right seat on a B777? Which will the airlines like better?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Neither, left seat on the 'ho.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Good point. I hear MPIC is king but what about the glass cockpit time?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:02 am Should I take a left seat job on a PC12 or right seat on a B777? Which will the airlines like better?
I heard airlines like tailwheel time over heavy jet.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I heard tail wheel flying is really hard and dangerous.

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am That’s true. And I’m one of the swing voters who decides who actually changes things in this country rather than blindly sticking to binary political BS.
I don't think you are. You sound like your mind is made up already.
iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am However, the Conservatives have to come up with something more than “Trudeau bad” to get my vote. They have been hijacked by the American style religious right and make their platforms on smear campaigns, wedge issues, and other forms of intelligence-insulting demagoguery.
I do agree with that, the opposition needs an actual platform.
iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am Trudeau still seems the lesser of two evils at this point until the conservatives can abandon their dying demographic and finally join the 20th century.

This is why I don't think you are a swing voter. In all honesty, what would it take for you to not vote for this guy?

When I hear/read a statement saying he's still the best, I'm reminded of Donald Trump saying, "You know what else they say about my people? The polls, they say I have the most loyal people. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s like incredible." It's not even questionable that Trudeau is the most corrupt Prime Minister we've ever had and now he wants to redesign Canada in his image, yet he still has supporters. Don't like the Conservatives? Vote NDP, Bloc (if you can), Green or Independent. There are options.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

As I stated earlier in this thread .. the NDP is making deals to support the Liberals.

Iflyforpie .. do you really believe the Tories resemble the Trump republicans? I would call the republicans a far right party (under Trump) and the Tories more center-right. There is a belief in Canada that the Conservatives are the party of the 1%, hardly, they do believe in Capitalism and the trickle down effect from it, a healthy business sector equals a healthy society. There is a lot of truth in that statement and I think the current US situation is proof.

My critique of the Liberals is simple .. yes they did some good things to help Canadians through the pandemic, CERB is good .. turning CERB into a livable wage, bad. CEWS to support workers and help industry was good, selective bailouts (leaving airlines high and dry) bad. Justin Trudeau, as a leader is a walking contradiction and a big reason I can’t get behind the party. IMO they’d be better off getting a new front man.

For those still flying .. remember no politics in the flight deck!

:P

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”