Porter Problems

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Porter Problems

Post by seriousflyer »

Porter will recover not because of low debt, debt is cheap and government will backstop a portion of business debt.
Porters main strength is they have small capacity and high efficient regional aircraft.
Thats all the market requires - Domestic travel with small segments and small capacity.
---------- ADS -----------

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

What makes me wonder is why Porter have not even tried to run a small operation during COVID. I can understand not operating to it’s 5 US destinations, even though Air Canada is, but there are 16 destinations in Canada that Porter serves. They could try to attempt a reduced service on some of those routes.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Eastern Canada has their own little travel bubble as well. So no US and no Canadian east coast. That's a huge portion of their route network. Now Montreal is having troubles. Can't make a lot of money doing YQT, YQG, YAM, YTS, YOW and YTZ.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Heard from an FA that the company reduced the benefits while increasing the rates?

Rumour is they’re trying to get around the retention bonus that was supposed to have been paid? I really hope the retention bonus part isn’t true. I’m sure a lot of people were holding from other pastures for that pay day.

I’d be fuming if I had to pay for my own massages.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

PT6onH20 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 am Heard from an FA that the company reduced the benefits while increasing the rates?

Rumour is they’re trying to get around the retention bonus that was supposed to have been paid? I really hope the retention bonus part isn’t true. I’m sure a lot of people were holding from other pastures for that pay day.

I’d be fuming if I had to pay for my own massages.
reduction in benefits yes, but the rates also went down substantially.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

By not being unionized can’t the company just hire everyone back at year 1 pay rates after 6 months of lay-off?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

fish4life wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:52 am By not being unionized can’t the company just hire everyone back at year 1 pay rates after 6 months of lay-off?
That would be constructive dismissal.

It might happen though if the pilots agreed to it to preserve their jobs.

I don’t see how being union or non-union changes anything. In fact a union looking to preserve membership would probably encourage it.........

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westje ... -1.5748468

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 am
fish4life wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:52 am By not being unionized can’t the company just hire everyone back at year 1 pay rates after 6 months of lay-off?

I don’t see how being union or non-union changes anything. In fact a union looking to preserve membership would probably encourage it.........

It would become a permanent lay-off at which point employees lose their rights after 6 months. At this point they can start to hire back everyone but since they’d all be new hires it would be at year 1 rates.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 am

Being in a union facilitates exactly the kind of discussions cited in the article that the WJ pilot group has had.

War_Snoopy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by War_Snoopy »

I work for Porter, but not as Pilot or FA. Some departments are union, but when talking to leadership back in March they said there wasn't anything they could do...this wasn't a case of bad management but a global pandemic. The notice was short, but never heard anyone complaining about it...all you had to do was read what was happening around the world.

Before this happened I had heard that pilots were being offered an LOA (and given references for other flying jobs) but this was due to the 737 MAX and AC and WJ not hiring so we had a bit of a glut of pilots. AFAIK, the majority of employees are on extended layoff.

In regards to the RAIC', back in March we were given the choice of hanging on to it, or turning it in to the company or Ports Toronto for safekeeping. About a week ago an email went out to those of us whose RAIC' had expired and needed to be renewed or worry about fines from TC (but just found out about an hour ago TC has extended it until 23 Dec). I haven't heard about people having to turn their RAIC' in, just dates set up for signing authority and renewal appointments.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”