Potential Airline Bailout

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Potential Airline Bailout

Post by Old fella »

ayseven wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:07 am Well, somebody mentioned him, so I continued on that. He certainly isn't the only numbskull out there though, which makes the political landscape so depressing.
Agreed. There’s always numb skulls in the political arena, goes way back from what I can remember starting from the Pearson years - was then , is now and always will be.
:drinkers:
---------- ADS -----------

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Why is this still a "potential airline bailout"??

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Airlines COVID-19 rescue negotiations at critical stage, sources say
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politi ... urces-say/

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FL320 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 pm Airlines COVID-19 rescue negotiations at critical stage, sources say
The Globe and Mail is not identifying the sources because they were not authorized to discuss the negotiations.
Not really a good sign :(

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

digits_ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:14 pm
FL320 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 pm Airlines COVID-19 rescue negotiations at critical stage, sources say
The Globe and Mail is not identifying the sources because they were not authorized to discuss the negotiations.

How so? I could be totally missing something here.. arent deals like this made in the back room then the details come out later once finalized ? Again, I could be missing something ...

I hope it goes through ... I don’t know how much longer this can go on for..

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

McKinley wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm

How so? I could be totally missing something here.. arent deals like this made in the back room then the details come out later once finalized ? Again, I could be missing something ...

Usually information leaks when one party is unhappy with how the talks are going, often in an attempt to put pressure on the other side.

It could be the government trying to prepare for a failure and blaming the airlines because "hey as published in the news, we were talking!", or it could be the airlines trying to get more money, as a failure would now generate more interest as well.

Secret leaks are seldom good.

Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

digits_ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:57 pm
McKinley wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Usually information leaks when one party is unhappy with how the talks are going, often in an attempt to put pressure on the other side.

It could be the government trying to prepare for a failure and blaming the airlines because "hey as published in the news, we were talking!", or it could be the airlines trying to get more money, as a failure would now generate more interest as well.

Secret leaks are seldom good.

Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

That makes sense actually... thanks for that. Don’t take this offensively .. but I hope you are wrong on this one. :p
I never thought I’d see this day... I’m hoping we can keep our careers.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Incompetence is our government’s strength. Especially when it comes to the public purse. How is it even possible we’re still waiting for these buffoons to wake up and do what needs to be done to help avoid a total collapse of our industry?
There are probably a few good reasons.
How about these, for starters?

https://spencerfernando.com/2018/11/13/ ... er-budget/

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/its-tim ... -warships/

But these aren’t his only incompetencies.

https://youtu.be/s9IOX1orS1M.

Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Gino Under wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 pm Incompetence is our government’s strength. Especially when it comes to the public purse. How is it even possible we’re still waiting for these buffoons to wake up and do what needs to be done to help avoid a total collapse of our industry?
There are probably a few good reasons.
How about these, for starters?

https://spencerfernando.com/2018/11/13/ ... er-budget/

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/its-tim ... -warships/

But these aren’t his only incompetencies.

https://youtu.be/s9IOX1orS1M.

Gino Under
That last YouTube clip made my day! I kept hoping he was going to hit his thumb...but it probably wouldn’t have hurt anyways.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Guess big question for me(and a good portion of the electorate )is what “ Outhouse O’Foole” would/could do any better than the current “sunny ways, blackface, pie in the sky” dude is attempting to do. I am all ears for well reasoned answers- the peanut gallery will be ignored though. :?

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Old fella wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 am Guess big question for me(and a good portion of the electorate )is what “ Outhouse O’Foole” would/could do any better than the current “sunny ways, blackface, pie in the sky” dude is attempting to do. I am all ears for well reasoned answers- the peanut gallery will be ignored though. :?
States peanut gallery will be ignored, but writes peanut gallery post :roll:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Air.Field wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 am
Old fella wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 am Guess big question for me(and a good portion of the electorate )is what “ Outhouse O’Foole” would/could do any better than the current “sunny ways, blackface, pie in the sky” dude is attempting to do. I am all ears for well reasoned answers- the peanut gallery will be ignored though. :?
If O'toole has a better plan I'll vote for it. What specifically is his better plan?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:59 am
If O'toole has a better plan I'll vote for it. What specifically is his better plan?
Exactly. If an opposition leader can demonstrate a better and credible alternative plan to cope with a specific situation, he/she would definitely get support.

What’s the plan, Erin O’Toole? Conservative morale is low as MPs await direction, sources say - thestar.com

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Trudeau doesn't have a plan, O'Toole doesn't have a plan. The government is still operating day by day and playing a losing game of catch up. I would not count on airline bailout's any time soon to shore up our battered industry. The government has put us in this position and made it quite clear you are on your own. We are a year into this thing and if you are still hoping for the Federal government to come riding in on a white horse you are just wasting your own time. If you are unemployed I truly am sorry for your loss but the reality is our industry has a steep hill to climb and I wager many jobs will not be coming back. We all like to laugh and joke about truck driving schools but If I end up with a pink slip in the future that's where I'm headed. I hope I'm wrong but I fear I am not, take care of yourselves.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Old fella wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:30 am
Rockie wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:59 am

Exactly. If an opposition leader can demonstrate a better and credible alternative plan to cope with a specific situation, he/she would definitely get support.

What’s the plan, Erin O’Toole? Conservative morale is low as MPs await direction, sources say - thestar.com
You liberal hacks are something else.

O’Toole was in the military, and is a lawyer.

Trudeau is a drama teacher.

You’re quoting the Toronto Star while the Financial Post flat out called Trudeau a despot.

If you’re not in the airline industry, I suggest you stay in the kiddie box, aka General Aviation. Debate about how to handle a 5kt crosswind.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

It isn’t my job to campaign for any party. But, I just want to make sure I understand your assertion.

You know that our current Prime Minister is destroying the country but you are okay with that because no one else could possibly do a better job? Is that what you are saying?

Why not try someone new just to see if they could be less damaging than what we currently have driving us towards no longer being a single nation through the policies of division? At this point, I’d take less damaging than this guy... which is a bar lying below the floor of the Marianas trench. There will be no Canada if he remains in office, and if you are okay with that, keep voting the way you are. It’s going to look lonely when you are living in upper and lower Canada but maybe that’s what you really want.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Mach1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:20 pm
It isn’t my job to campaign for any party. But, I just want to make sure I understand your assertion.

You know that our current Prime Minister is destroying the country but you are okay with that because no one else could possibly do a better job? Is that what you are saying?

Why not try someone new just to see if they could be less damaging than what we currently have driving us towards no longer being a single nation through the policies of division? At this point, I’d take less damaging than this guy... which is a bar lying below the floor of the Marianas trench. There will be no Canada if he remains in office, and if you are okay with that, keep voting the way you are. It’s going to look lonely when you are living in upper and lower Canada but maybe that’s what you really want.
Actually I can go back to the John Diefenbaker years( just barely) but certainly the Pearson years( which I do remember). The great flag debate, CCP and Medicare- it was said then as you implied now about destroying the country. Moving further ahead to the PQ and René Lévesque ‘76 and rolling into the early ‘80s with Constitutional debates- again the country was heading towards so called destruction. It got quite interesting in ‘95 but everyone moved on. Yes, JT got knocked off his “ sunny ways, pie in the sky , globe trotting silliness “ pedestal due to his well documented indiscretions and rightfully so. However to me all it means that he is down in the weeds with the rest of the PMs aka Dief, Pearson et al - nothing more, nothing less, he(JT) is no better or worse. Sorry but I have been around to long and seen/heard to much to be told any different.

Over and out.
:?

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

The difference is, regardless of the mistakes or ill-advised decisions that the Pearsons, Mulroneys, Clarks, Chrétiens and Harpers (...even the original Trudeau) made in the past, they at least had the best intentions of the country at heart. They were "Statesmen". Justin Trudeau is not.

This guy is an egotistical zero. He's an effing drama teacher and he can't even act like a professional.

https://youtu.be/delaffjU0g8

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:31 pm

You’re quoting the Toronto Star while the Financial Post flat out called Trudeau a despot.

If you’re not in the airline industry, I suggest you stay in the kiddie box, aka General Aviation. Debate about how to handle a 5kt crosswind.
Trudeau isn’t a drama teacher. He’s been a member of parliament since 2008 and the Prime Minister since 2015 now in his second term. So how about you finally get over this drama teacher nonsense?

O’toole’s background in the military does not in any universe automatically make him more qualified to be PM than the guy who actually is, but I’m willing to hear what he has to say.

What is O’toole’s plan vs the current governments?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:37 am
alkaseltzer wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:31 pm

Trudeau isn’t a drama teacher. He’s been a member of parliament since 2008 and the Prime Minister since 2015 now in his second term. So how about you finally get over this drama teacher nonsense?

O’toole’s background in the military does not in any universe automatically make him more qualified to be PM than the guy who actually is, but I’m willing to hear what he has to say.

What is O’toole’s plan vs the current governments?
Teaching is a very honourable/dedicated profession regardless the level and discipline and it is my hope some of the more illustrious posters on this site get over slagging another’s professional curriculum vitae regardless the person’s standing in life- PM and down. Wouldn’t those same posters get quite annoyed and vocal if their airline pilot profession was tagged as nothing but glorified, overpaid bus/subway driving.

Rockie: You asked the very same question(O’Toole) I have been attempting to do but no answers on that. I guess those vocal posters can’t answer that simple question :rolleyes:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”