New Protest to Save Canadian Aviation

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

New Protest to Save Canadian Aviation

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

UNIFOR is organizing a new protest on Friday, Oct 30 at 10 am.

One will take place At Terminal 1 in YYZ, Departure level, on the inner lane.

ALPA and CUPE (which includes Air Canada Flight Attendants) have called on their Union members to join both events.

There is a second protest at the same time in Montreal at Transport Minister Marc Garneau’s Riding office, At 4040 Ste-Catherine West in Westmount.

We ask all to join the protest in solidarity. All sectors, all trades of the Aviation and Aerospace sectors are welcome.

The Facebook Aviation Workers Group which we have created, which now has over 12,0000 members had called on all its members to attend.

Bring a mask, and respect social distancing.

https://www.unifor.org/en/whats-new/pre ... nd-support

https://www.facebook.com/events/924997904692460/

#SaveCanadianAviation

#BetterBorders

#TimeToTravel
---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New Protest to Save Canadian Aviation

Post by porcsord »

Bring a mask, and respect social distancing.

#TimeToTravel

Seems a little counter to each other. Are the people going to remain socially distant while they travel on the airplane. I assume the plan is to block the middle seat on all flights, and probably every second row to maintain 6' distance?

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Pigs will be observed flying alongside the aeroplanes.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

porcsord wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:11 pm Bring a mask, and respect social distancing.

#TimeToTravel

Seems a little counter to each other. Are the people going to remain socially distant while they travel on the airplane. I assume the plan is to block the middle seat on all flights, and probably every second row to maintain 6' distance?
With the airflow in an aircraft sitting next to a passenger is equivalent of 6' social distancing norms in an indoor setting. So no..since your risk of transmission onboard an aircraft is already much lower than most indoor places, there is no requirement to block anything to maintain social distancing. Billions of people worldwide have flown since the pandemic started and there have only been a very few cases of transmission.

ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washing ... utType=amp
A 7-hour flight has been linked to 59 coronavirus cases in Ireland, researchers say

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

ozone wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:38 pm https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washing ... utType=amp
A 7-hour flight has been linked to 59 coronavirus cases in Ireland, researchers say
Fantastic armchair journalism...all I read there was a bunch of gibberish with with zero factual evidence of where this information was gathered from...

Sorry, but without any sort of evidence linking who those researchers were, more info about the flight, etc, I will not believe any of that crap.

Here's a real article, from the US military

https://www.ustranscom.mil/cmd/panewsre ... 305CE7459D

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

T1 YYZ 10AM today
EE0D4BBF-0129-456C-9F5D-B57AA609D95B.jpeg
EE0D4BBF-0129-456C-9F5D-B57AA609D95B.jpeg (379.51 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

T1 YYZ 10AM today
Good turnout. Would probably benefit your cause if you leave the trump MAGA movement south of the border tho. We don’t need that garbage in Canada.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

ozone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 pm
T1 YYZ 10AM today
Good turnout. Would probably benefit your cause if you leave the trump MAGA movement south of the border tho. We don’t need that garbage in Canada.
I thought the same when I saw that

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

flyingcanuck wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:59 pm
ozone wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 pm
T1 YYZ 10AM today
I thought the same when I saw that
Agreed. Poor choice of an acronym.
At least EVERYONE was wearing a mask.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Sorry, MAGA - Make Aviation Great Again is a poor choice of acronym? I thought it was a clever play on it. I seriously doubt the intention was to promote that agenda to the south. Lighten up!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

There are a lot of sufferers of TDS-20 (Trump Derangement Syndrome 2020) on this forum, it's understandable.

Let’s Go Brandon
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Trudeau Derangement Syndrome is also prevalent. Even though he’s the reason why many in aviation are still paying bills instead of declaring personal bankruptcy.

Trump’s good ol’ buddy BJ just locked down the UK for an entire month. Stop pretending that the Federal Government can wave a magic wand and give you your jobs back.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
777Aviate
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 777Aviate »

Look at KLM. The Dutch government isnt releasing a 4 billion euro bailout bcuz unions cant agree on a wage freeze that will last until 2025 while they only negotiated for 2 years. Air France/KLM made a €1.7 Billion loss Q3 2020. Bailout unlikely to be effective in creating a smaller and operationally lean company when all this ends. Why cant we understand that we are a huge cost centers and the travel sector which has probably been hit the hardest will take years to recover. If we want our industry to survive we need to sacrifice our pay and our co workers. There is always gonna be another person who will want to fly a 787 for minimum wage.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

How do you save an industry that no longer has the demand it once had?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

I’m working 5 days a month on average. I don’t know why the public should give money to organizations with a workforce that has basically three times as many pilots as it needs. That’s a tough sell. I also don’t see how the public should give money to corporations that don’t have a plan for profitability.

I walked with a demonstration at YYZ in 2001 at when C3 went bust. One of the reasons the federal government gave for not giving money to C3 was that there was no plan for profitability.

I’m sure there are other means that provide for relief for airlines. I hope they work.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

ALPApolicy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 am I’m working 5 days a month on average. I don’t know why the public should give money to organizations with a workforce that has basically three times as many pilots as it needs. That’s a tough sell. I also don’t see how the public should give money to corporations that don’t have a plan for profitability.

I walked with a demonstration at YYZ in 2001 at when C3 went bust. One of the reasons the federal government gave for not giving money to C3 was that there was no plan for profitability.

I’m sure there are other means that provide for relief for airlines. I hope they work.
How can an airline get a chance to show a plan for profitability when they are forced to remain on the ground by the government?
As individuals we are imposed to stay at home but we at least we get the cews/cerb etc.., imagine how people would react if they didn’t get a compensation from the Gov...

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

FL320 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:46 am
ALPApolicy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 am I’m working 5 days a month on average. I don’t know why the public should give money to organizations with a workforce that has basically three times as many pilots as it needs. That’s a tough sell. I also don’t see how the public should give money to corporations that don’t have a plan for profitability.

How can an airline get a chance to show a plan for profitability when they are forced to remain on the ground by the government?
As individuals we are imposed to stay at home but we at least we get the cews/cerb etc.., imagine how people would react if they didn’t get a compensation from the Gov...
Is it the government preventing them from flying or is it the pandemic?

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

ALPApolicy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:58 pm
FL320 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:46 am

Is it the government preventing them from flying or is it the pandemic?
The Government with their radical decisions based on a pseudo scientific information that is non publicly available

777Aviate
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 777Aviate »

Look down south. Look across the pond. Bailouts + no quarantine restrictions did nothing to increase demand. Airlines worldwide are still burning millions per day. Do u expect governments to give billion dollar bailouts every quarter?

The airlines need to become operationally efficient by adjusting to the new economic landscape and billions in losses. We don't see airline executives protesting on the streets bcuz they are safe and the cost cutting that needs to happen will be us unfortunately. Easing restrictions or even a bailout cant stop the inevitable.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”