Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

Post Reply
McKinley
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by McKinley »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... on-travel/


I think the aviation industry has been put into a massive no-win situation with COVID.

With this being said, I don’t know how good of an idea this actually is. I can’t see this impressing the public or government.

I haven’t seen my son in close to a year because he’s in another province...
---------- ADS -----------
 
montado
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by montado »

Our government fails to do contact tracing so we fail to have any real data about the spread. I think the government doesn't want people to know how covid is really spreading. Going on vacation is low risk IMO.

If we did try to contact trace people would lie anyways. Someone will go to a party or a wedding, get covid and they will ask where you have been. Individual will deny going to any gatherings, and says they have onyl been at home and grocery shopping like we are supposed to. So they tick the box that you got covid at the grocery store.

Its absolutely ridiculous. People aren't getting the Rona at Rona. Travel doesn't significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO. Going to gatherings with those who work in LTC or healthcare does. I think people should be able to travel and love near normally. If the government would have tackled the big issues covid could be well contained. I don't think it could ever be eradicateed with a vaccine bit we could have directed our energy at the source rather than dumb blanket measures that are not effective.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by BTD »

montado wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am
Its absolutely ridiculous. People aren't getting the Rona at Rona. Travel doesn't significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO. Going to

While I have my opinions on this situation and I have posted them in different threads. It is important to provide the substantiation for a claim. It can’t simply be said that “travel doesn’t significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO”. You have stated right there that it is an opinion. There is no reason to believe an claim until its truth is demonstrated.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyingcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by flyingcanuck »

Its just a hit piece to make the airlines look bad.. yet again.

The perception although incorrect is that its the airlines fault for spreading the virus, this people blame them and would like them shut down. If tommorow a study came out and said restaurants were responsible for 80% of the spread, would those same people be angry when those restaurants use advertising (influencers) to try to get more buisness? No doubtful.

I'm getting tired of these hit pieces finding fault in anything AC or others do to try to keep afloat. Its ridiculous.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Heliian »

These people get free trips and then post about how awesome it is. They are merely shills and they want to keep shilling, that's their perogative. Bonus, they get to blog about their 14 day quarantine on return.

Since the flights and hotels are near empty it really only cost aircanada the bad publicity.

Bravo to ac for reaching out to the empty headed social media users though, they are just gullible enough to maybe buy a ticket.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Gino Under »

Again montado, I may be wrong but I don’t think you have the scientific credentials for many of us to attach much credibility to your Covid opinions. We’re all just as confused as you are over the guidance and recommendations were getting but don’t forget, less is more. We should try doing less normal activities to at least have a chance of surviving this pandemic. However each individual chooses to do that. It would be nice to see the infection and death numbers go significantly down. I can’t think of a single person who can justify endangering yours or my health however they choose to navigate this Covid pandemic.
Defending flights to the beach (anywhere for that matter) during a pandemic is asinine by any measure and it’s intellectually a weak argument.

Sorry. The scientific data doesn’t quite align with your opinions.

Gino Under
---------- ADS -----------
 
"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
montado
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by montado »

BTD wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm
montado wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am
Its absolutely ridiculous. People aren't getting the Rona at Rona. Travel doesn't significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO. Going to

While I have my opinions on this situation and I have posted them in different threads. It is important to provide the substantiation for a claim. It can’t simply be said that “travel doesn’t significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO”. You have stated right there that it is an opinion. There is no reason to believe an claim until its truth is demonstrated.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/ne ... -1.5111820

20 percent of covid cases are health care workers. If they go home to family, how many covid cases are family and friends can we add to this figure.

Its quite possible 50 percent of covid cases are HCWs, or cases linked directly to a HCW. Incredible no one really talks about this.

So what policy should we double down on that has nothing to do with stopping HCWs from spreading covid? Knowing the possibility above how dumb is it to have hospitals mixing cancer wards with covid under one roof. It's absolutely insane, and then I'm told I'm not the expert... Maybe travel is worse right?

How is some of this just not common sense.. How many of you here have ever in your life said you don't want to go to the doctors because you don't want to catch something else. This is not rocket science. While covid is not the flu it's likely to spread in very similar ways to the flu. The virus may live longer in surfacees or suspended in air, but the way it spreads is likely very similar. Think of a few years ago, what would have been risky activities to catch the flu? Close contact? Doc office? Kids bring it home from school?

Do you really rank air travel with handwashing a risky activity?

The big question is why does the government have something to hide. They aren't being transparent... So why not? Because just about every policy they have made has just about zero evidence to back it up.
---------- ADS -----------
 
montado
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by montado »

Gino Under wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:57 pm Again montado, I may be wrong but I don’t think you have the scientific credentials for many of us to attach much credibility to your Covid opinions. We’re all just as confused as you are over the guidance and recommendations were getting but don’t forget, less is more. We should try doing less normal activities to at least have a chance of surviving this pandemic. However each individual chooses to do that. It would be nice to see the infection and death numbers go significantly down. I can’t think of a single person who can justify endangering yours or my health however they choose to navigate this Covid pandemic.
Defending flights to the beach (anywhere for that matter) during a pandemic is asinine by any measure and it’s intellectually a weak argument.

Sorry. The scientific data doesn’t quite align with your opinions.

Gino Under
I'm not sure I follow. You say do less normal activities to have a chance to survive covid? Like can I go for a walk? Is this to normal?

I think you are infected by the media. The idea that we need to do less to survive this is absolutely ridiculous. If you want to see covid cases and deaths go down, you need to see how people are actually getting covid. Why do people act like covid is floating around everywhere... Like you might even catch it outside while walking lol.

I think once poeple accept the stupidity we have been doing as stupid, then we can get our heads straight. Problem I think is now government has no interest in doing the right things. They are just banking on the vaccine. So they will double down on dumb policies, vaccine will kick in and cases will ease up... And they they will praise each other for masks and closing small businesses and say look how well our policy is working. Lol.

Way more people are living without covid than with it. If they found creative ways to put covid in a bubble and allow the rest of us to live normal rather than tell everyone to pretend covid is everywhere to stay safe I think this could have been controlled way better.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Rockie »

Build the bubble and people will come. How did this world ever survive before you were born Montado?
---------- ADS -----------
 
montado
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by montado »

Rockie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:46 pm Build the bubble and people will come. How did this world ever survive before you were born Montado?
I don't know how anyone survived without snotty masks Rockie. Maybe you will wear it the rest of your life.

I do think offsite covid centres staffed by volunteer HCWs for high pay rotational work could have made a huge difference. But some people like to double down... You double down on masks but I can't understand it when cases today are higher than they have ever been. Infact we have not had any case count since mandated masks that show any correlation to being effective. We also have yet to see any published data from our government that shows it effective.

Mock me all you like. Reentering lockdown nearly a year into a pandemic shows a total @#$! up in policy. Maybe rather than reinforce what has not been working you should consider you were wrong about snotty masks.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by BTD »

montado wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:47 pm
BTD wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm
montado wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am
Its absolutely ridiculous. People aren't getting the Rona at Rona. Travel doesn't significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO. Going to

While I have my opinions on this situation and I have posted them in different threads. It is important to provide the substantiation for a claim. It can’t simply be said that “travel doesn’t significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO”. You have stated right there that it is an opinion. There is no reason to believe an claim until its truth is demonstrated.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/ne ... -1.5111820

20 percent of covid cases are health care workers. If they go home to family, how many covid cases are family and friends can we add to this figure.

Its quite possible 50 percent of covid cases are HCWs, or cases linked directly to a HCW. Incredible no one really talks about this.

So what policy should we double down on that has nothing to do with stopping HCWs from spreading covid? Knowing the possibility above how dumb is it to have hospitals mixing cancer wards with covid under one roof. It's absolutely insane, and then I'm told I'm not the expert... Maybe travel is worse right?

How is some of this just not common sense.. How many of you here have ever in your life said you don't want to go to the doctors because you don't want to catch something else. This is not rocket science. While covid is not the flu it's likely to spread in very similar ways to the flu. The virus may live longer in surfacees or suspended in air, but the way it spreads is likely very similar. Think of a few years ago, what would have been risky activities to catch the flu? Close contact? Doc office? Kids bring it home from school?

Do you really rank air travel with handwashing a risky activity?

The big question is why does the government have something to hide. They aren't being transparent... So why not? Because just about every policy they have made has just about zero evidence to back it up.
Great, you have provided a link to an article that doesn’t address your claim. At least, not the claim I took issue with. That is getting close to a straw man argument. And I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying I cannot accept the claim until it is demonstrated to be reasonable/true through evidence.

Your claim was “ Travel doesn't significantly increase your odds of getting covid IMO”. I only suggest that that assertion needs to be backed by evidence. You didn’t provide any. It doesn’t matter what I think, or what you think, it only matters what good data/evidence shows. And as soon as that evidence is presented I will revise my position.

You would likely find in my other posts relating to this topic I lean towards the position that this is/has blown way out of proportion (that isn’t to say it is nothing). I also included references to studies/data to back that position up, because if I didn’t, I would expect people to dismiss it no matter how enthusiastic I was about it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Rockie »

montado wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:39 pm [quote=Rockie post_id=<a href="tel:1139648">1139648</a> time=<a href="tel:1609980414">1609980414</a> user_id=5632]
Build the bubble and people will come. How did this world ever survive before you were born Montado?
I don't know how anyone survived without snotty masks Rockie. Maybe you will wear it the rest of your life.

I do think offsite covid centres staffed by volunteer HCWs for high pay rotational work could have made a huge difference. But some people like to double down... You double down on masks but I can't understand it when cases today are higher than they have ever been. Infact we have not had any case count since mandated masks that show any correlation to being effective. We also have yet to see any published data from our government that shows it effective.

Mock me all you like. Reentering lockdown nearly a year into a pandemic shows a total @#$! up in policy. Maybe rather than reinforce what has not been working you should consider you were wrong about snotty masks.
[/quote]

Have you considered how infinitely worse the situation could have been if people didn’t wear masks?

Of course not.

Government says wear masks. Case count is still going up ergo masks don’t work. It couldn’t possibly be due to other factors could it? Just masks.

You’re easy to mock because you beg for it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
alkaseltzer
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by alkaseltzer »

Trudeau is failing in his own vaccine rollout, and wants to punish other industries to save face. He doesn't attack public transit, because his voters rely on it. People who are most likely going to travel right now, probably aren't die-hard liberals. Period. At best, they disagree with his travel policies. The tin-foil hat people are burrowed up in their home/cave.

Every time I drive by some of the "at-risk" areas in a metropolitan area, I notice how many people are waiting for the bus. So no rapid testing to get on public transit vs flying on a plane? I suppose some morons would try to argue that the ventilation system on a bus is comparable to that of a modern day jetliner :lol:

We have thousands, and I mean, thousands of flight attendants that are furloughed and first aid qualified. Westjet, Air Canada, Transat, Sunwing, etc....couldn't you use them to help in the vaccine rollout? And have a RN or MD supervise this? Or would this be against one of his union lobbyists? You could have a Jazz or Encore crew, fly up to the middle-of-nowhere in their Q400, land, set up a tent and administer vaccines....much faster than negotiating short term rentals for buildings.

At least we know, Trudeau cannot quite "get through" to the people listening to "influencers"....other political parties, take note! Influencers will be the essential campaign tool for the next federal election.

Failed leadership by Garneau and Trudeau. They don't represent liberal ideals, they're just hungry for power. They shouldn't attack travel; this parallels attacking immigrants/refugees that haven't been vaccinated against the "normal laundry list" of vaccines. They know where to solicit the votes for their next campaign.

Leave our airlines alone, they're doing a better job at adhering to measures, compared to festering long term care homes.
---------- ADS -----------
 
GRK2
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:04 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by GRK2 »

First Aid Qualified. Does not allow one to administer vaccinations. Sorry.
---------- ADS -----------
 
fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by fish4life »

Gino Under wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:57 pm Again montado, I may be wrong but I don’t think you have the scientific credentials for many of us to attach much credibility to your Covid opinions. We’re all just as confused as you are over the guidance and recommendations were getting but don’t forget, less is more. We should try doing less normal activities to at least have a chance of surviving this pandemic. However each individual chooses to do that. It would be nice to see the infection and death numbers go significantly down. I can’t think of a single person who can justify endangering yours or my health however they choose to navigate this Covid pandemic.
Defending flights to the beach (anywhere for that matter) during a pandemic is asinine by any measure and it’s intellectually a weak argument.

Sorry. The scientific data doesn’t quite align with your opinions.

Gino Under
Justification for travel is you only have “X” years in this earth so why waste one of those locked up at home?
If travel was soooo bad you would think that a hospital ceo/ covid advisor and doctor would not travel, oh wait he went to the Dominican.

The idea of not travelling made sense when we were trying to keep the virus out but now that covid is all over it doesn’t make sense to not travel.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Rockie »

fish4life wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 am Justification for travel is you only have “X” years in this earth so why waste one of those locked up at home?
Just spitballing here, but maybe it's because there's a worldwide pandemic that's killed 1.9 million people so far, is accelerating, and has health care facilities around the globe on the brink of collapse. Just guessing really...I could be wrong.
---------- ADS -----------
 
montado
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by montado »

Rockie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:57 am
fish4life wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 am Justification for travel is you only have “X” years in this earth so why waste one of those locked up at home?
Just spitballing here, but maybe it's because there's a worldwide pandemic that's killed 1.9 million people so far, is accelerating, and has health care facilities around the globe on the brink of collapse. Just guessing really...I could be wrong.
Why is it so many of our politicians don't understand this and travel anyways? What I don't understand is of travel is high risk and a real issue then why haven't they just shut down airlines all together? Do you think if we shut down airlines for two weeks we would see a reduction in cases?

We were told if we wore masks for two weeks we would have this under control, then it was close restaurants, then gyms, then ski hills and schools. Hard to quantify the impact of all these measures to know how well they have worked, but as a whole they have failed because we keep talking about more measures being needed. So maybe this has saved some lives but it's still not good enough. What do you think Rockie, shut down the airlines and we will see the results we need to keep things under control? Is that even a rational thought? I mean Where's the data on cases and where they come from. Why is it a big secret. If they publish the data maybe it would be so obvious where the real issues are?

Didn't you say yourself on another thread you don't support testing for covid for inbound passengers? if you think covid is a higher risk for travelers why would you not support that kind of policy?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by Rockie »

montado wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 am Why is it so many of our politicians don't understand this and travel anyways?
That's a very good question and I am 100% with you on that one.
montado wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 am What I don't understand is of travel is high risk and a real issue then why haven't they just shut down airlines all together?
Because airlines are transportation infrastructure that for one thing get vaccines where they're supposed to go.
montado wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 am Do you think if we shut down airlines for two weeks we would see a reduction in cases?
Doubtful. Stupid behavior can be carried out anywhere.
montado wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 am Didn't you say yourself on another thread you don't support testing for covid for inbound passengers?
No I didn't. I said requiring a test 72 hours before boarding a flight back to Canada was a ridiculous policy that served only to kill international travel while not doing anything for public health. I also said (which you either didn't read or chose to ignore) that we need a testing and follow up regimen when people arrive in Canada that protects public health but safely opens the door to international travel. They are doing tests on that right now but with a uselessly long window until they take it beyond the testing stage and actually implement something.
---------- ADS -----------
 
alkaseltzer
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by alkaseltzer »

GRK2 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 am First Aid Qualified. Does not allow one to administer vaccinations. Sorry.
This kind of mentality is why health care in Canada sucks. I'm sure you'd want someone with a degree in health care to give you a prick.

The NHS in UK has hired hundreds of furloughed FA's to help in their vaccination efforts. Not much different than administering an Epi-Pen. It's a vaccine, not a blood transfusion. And have an RN or MD on standby in the event of an allergic/adverse reaction.
---------- ADS -----------
 
fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Air Canada Hires Influencers Promoting Travel Amid Non-Essential travel Ban

Post by fish4life »

Rockie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:57 am
fish4life wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 am Justification for travel is you only have “X” years in this earth so why waste one of those locked up at home?
Just spitballing here, but maybe it's because there's a worldwide pandemic that's killed 1.9 million people so far, is accelerating, and has health care facilities around the globe on the brink of collapse. Just guessing really...I could be wrong.
Quick google search says cancer kills 10 million people a year, by comparison covid isn’t that bad.

I’m not saying travel and go to a huge rave party but if you travel responsibly and do all the precautions you do at home like mask wearing and avoiding large gatherings where is the danger?
Travel was pushed as this evil thing early in the pandemic to try and contain it, once covid had spread across the world it became illogical to not travel.

Once again if you are 40 and you are going to live until 80 (slightly above average) 1 year is 2.5% of your life left so why waste it isolating in a house when you could enjoy it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”