Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Very appropriate letter to the editor

Post by WestJet Puke »

....from yesterday's National Post.

Kudos to Captain Small, and good luck to our industry.

Letters to the editor: 'Dear Prime Minister, your inaction won't be forgotten,' writes campaign plane pilot
National Post readers weigh in on the issues of the day, including the devastation of Canada's aviation industry, the 'cancelling' of Jessica Mulroney, and the departure of our governor general

Author of the article:
National Post
Publishing date:
Jan 26, 2021 • 22 hours ago • 4 minute read
Justin Trudeau exits his election campaign plane at the Vancouver airport in a file photo from Oct. 12, 2019. PHOTO BY STEPHANE MAHE/REUTERS

‘I trusted you with the future of our country’
Dear Prime Minister,

You may not remember me, but we spent a great deal of time together during the past election. For the first two weeks of your campaign, I was the captain on the 737 that flew you around the country. I sincerely enjoyed getting to know you during that time. We had some great conversations and shared a few good laughs between flights. I remember feeling that we were in good hands, convinced that you were the right person to lead our government. Just as you trusted me and my co-pilot to fly you from one campaign stop to another, I trusted you with the future of our country. I voted for you on Oct. 21, 2019.

The pandemic struck four months later. At your request, pilots, flight attendants and ground agents worked tirelessly and without protection to bring Canadians home safely. Almost a year into this crisis and you and your government have left us stranded. Month after month, you have chosen to disregard our cries for help, to ignore our anguish and our despair. Today, tens of thousands of aviation workers across the country are jobless, completely hopeless. We are honest citizens, highly trained hardworking people who have contributed significantly to our society and economy throughout our careers. We do not deserve to be treated like this.

Certainties are a rarity today. I don’t know if I’ll still have a job a month from now. I don’t know if my employer will be able to survive. I don’t know how many of my colleagues will have lost their homes and their retirement savings at the end of this. But I do know one thing, your inaction won’t be forgotten.

Capt. Bradley Small, Saint-Sauveur, Que.

Capt. Bradley Small poses with Justin Trudeau during the 2019 federal election campaign. Small piloted Trudeau’s campaign plane during the first two weeks of the election. The prime minister has let the aviation industry down, Capt. Small writes. PHOTO BY COURTESY BRADLEY SMALL
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Very appropriate letter to the editor

Post by pelmet »

WestJet Puke wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:16 pm I remember feeling that we were in good hands, convinced that you were the right person to lead our government. Just as you trusted me and my co-pilot to fly you from one campaign stop to another, I trusted you with the future of our country. I voted for you on Oct. 21, 2019.
Another guy in a carbon emitting job that voted for the man that said he would go after carbon emitting areas of the economy and hung out with the 16 year old determined to kill aviation who takes a boat back and forth to Europe.

What is it about people that whine and complain after voting themselves out of a career.

Maybe you now know how Albertans feel. Except they were smart enough to know what Trudeau is all about.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:57 pm What is it about people that whine and complain after voting themselves out of a career.
That's your takeaway from this? Whining???

Jesus Christ.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:57 pm
Another guy in a carbon emitting job that voted for the man that said he would go after carbon emitting areas of the economy and hung out with the 16 year old determined to kill aviation who takes a boat back and forth to Europe.

What is it about people that whine and complain after voting themselves out of a career.

Maybe you now know how Albertans feel. Except they were smart enough to know what Trudeau is all about.
Yep.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

DanWEC wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:37 pm
pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:57 pm What is it about people that whine and complain after voting themselves out of a career.
That's your takeaway from this? Whining???

Jesus Christ.
Actually, complete stupidity. You actually voted for a party determined to kill your industry, and then you seem to have some sort of problem when it happens? Why would any airline pilot have voted for Trudeau. There must be some others on this forum. What was your thought process on this?

Here is the Liberal promise....

"Fighting And Preparing For Climate Change
Canadians know that climate change is real, and in the last four years, science has made it even more clear that the future of the planet is at risk. Young people understand this – that’s why they are marching in the streets, demanding action. We can’t afford to go back to the Harper years when the Conservatives did nothing about climate change. We need to take our lead from young people and step up our fight against climate change. And we need to do it now."

"The choices Canadians make every day – from the renovations we make on our homes to the kinds of cars we drive – have a real and meaningful impact on the environment we share. We will make it easier and more affordable for people and businesses to make choices that leave a cleaner world for our children and grandchildren."
https://liberal.ca/our-platform/

Trudeau is helping the environment by getting rid of these thousands of airline jobs as he was voted in to do by people like this AT pilot. As the Dems are saying in the U.S., your lost jobs will be replaced by new green jobs. Shouldn't this person be happy at his new career opportunities where he will no longer have a real and meaningful negative impact on the environment we share? He voted for it. He may have another chance in the spring though to re-consider his vote.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

So, he regrets his vote as many of us have. He is being active on social media, has written an excellent letter that is gaining traction on mainstream media, and is trying to fight for awareness for our industry's plight. As a fellow TS pilot, I've also been doing my best to do the same. Aren't we all in the same boat here?

So, crab in the bucket, what have you done recently for our unified group besides complaining and criticizing others who are actually trying to make a difference?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 pm
Actually, complete stupidity. You actually voted for a party determined to kill your industry, and then you seem to have some sort of problem when it happens? Why would any airline pilot have voted for Trudeau. There must be some others on this forum. What was your thought process on this?

Here is the Liberal promise....

"Fighting And Preparing For Climate Change
Canadians know that climate change is real, and in the last four years, science has made it even more clear that the future of the planet is at risk. Young people understand this – that’s why they are marching in the streets, demanding action. We can’t afford to go back to the Harper years when the Conservatives did nothing about climate change. We need to take our lead from young people and step up our fight against climate change. And we need to do it now."

"The choices Canadians make every day – from the renovations we make on our homes to the kinds of cars we drive – have a real and meaningful impact on the environment we share. We will make it easier and more affordable for people and businesses to make choices that leave a cleaner world for our children and grandchildren."
https://liberal.ca/our-platform/

Trudeau is helping the environment by getting rid of these thousands of airline jobs as he was voted in to do by people like this AT pilot. As the Dems are saying in the U.S., your lost jobs will be replaced by new green jobs. Shouldn't this person be happy at his new career opportunities where he will no longer have a real and meaningful negative impact on the environment we share? He voted for it. He may have another chance in the spring though to re-consider his vote.
Still more of the same right wing politically driven illogic that fighting climate change means all our jobs disappear and that left wing politicians goal is to end civilization and drive us all back to the Stone Age. Your little pea brain simply cannot imagine a clean energy high technology world where people are employed and can still go places. People like you don’t have to help keep this planet liveable for human beings Pelmet, but frankly STFU and stop impeding the effort.

And what does that have to do with the pandemic situation and the reason for the letter in the first place?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

DanWEC wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:44 pm
So, crab in the bucket, what have you done recently for our unified group besides complaining and criticizing others who are actually trying to make a difference?
I voted for the party who would have provided support for you career. It was so obvious for so long. That, and that alone was the one thing that could have made all the difference. A bit late to be asking for money now with much of it going(and soon to be mostly gone)to predictable policies like supporting teens at 2000/month after proving they worked 3 hours per week.

I plan to vote the same again. As you can see from Rockie’s response, you might want to have a little discussion with him rather than directing your anger at me.

And to be honest with you, it wouldn’t surprise me if their are others in our boat who will still vote for Justin or similar parties again for their own whatever reason.

Perhaps a new saying.....You get what you vote for.

Last edited by pelmet on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Interesting position from the Globe Editorial Board. I can’t link it because it is behind a paywall, however any Globe digital subscribers(like me) would find it worth the read. I suspect there would be widespread support amongst the general population outside of aviation- which is understandable.

With new COVID-19 variants arriving, it’s time for Ottawa to clamp down on travel

THE EDITORIAL BOARD
THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED JANUARY 26, 2021

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Pelmet, you've entirely missing the point. I don't care in the slightest who you voted for. Bradley thought we were in good hands, and he changed his mind. I have an excellent Liberal MP and he knows I've changed my mind.

If you voted Liberal, would you walk into the pilot's lounge at AC in 2012 and point fingers and laugh at them after PC's Harper and Lisa Raitt legislated them back to work? After they beat the piss out of you, you'd realize a lot of minds changed that year too.

Aviation in Canada had been doing fantastic until the pandemic, and that's where the administration's management has fallen apart.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with ideology, the point is, all you're doing is standing on the sidelines in the peanut gallery complaining about people who are actively trying to make a difference in our industry, and I'm going to call you out for that. Either do something or stay quiet.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:25 am Pelmet, you've entirely missing the point. I don't care in the slightest who you voted for. Bradley thought we were in good hands, and he changed his mind. I have an excellent Liberal MP and he knows I've changed my mind.
If you think your MP is excellent and gave a representative view, then I suspect that little is going to change and we can all expect to eventually be chasing new green jobs. Perhaps if you get the minimum subsidy to barely survive for a while longer in stagnation, you will go running back with your vote again this spring.
DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:25 am If you voted Liberal, would you walk into the pilot's lounge at AC in 2012 and point fingers and laugh at them after PC's Harper and Lisa Raitt legislated them back to work? After they beat the piss out of you, you'd realize a lot of minds changed that year too.

Aviation in Canada had been doing fantastic until the pandemic, and that's where the administration's management has fallen apart.
There is a big difference between being legislated back to your career and it being targeted for replacement. Harper never had a target of literally destroying the industry. Trudeau and you excellent MP do. Aviation in Canada was doing excellent in spite of the various Liberals who have been raising aviation fuel taxes, carbon taxes, and no doubt there will be more.

A thousand pipeworkers are now out of a job in Alberta. It won't change oil flow to the US but will ensure it continues to go by train instead. Expect similar measures from your excellent MP's. Which is exactly what they want and have always wanted. I suggest that the people actively making a difference in this industry are the ones who vote politicians in that say prior to the vote that they will target this industry for replacement. Who can say honestly say that this was not obvious.

Last edited by pelmet on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Your reading comprehension is beyond reproach.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

So when the writ drops in a couple month's and Trudeau is looking for a plane and crew to chauffer his campaign around it will be crickets right guys?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

2112 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:47 am So when the writ drops in a couple month's and Trudeau is looking for a plane and crew to chauffer his campaign around it will be crickets right guys?
Man I hope so!! Maybe Via would be a good option.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:28 am Harper never had a target of literally destroying the industry. Trudeau and you excellent MP do.
You are batshit crazy Pelmet, there's not a doubt in my mind you actually believe that crap with every cell in your body.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

That would be amazing if every crew declined flying the PM around for his campaign. Multi-company pilot solidarity finally telling the ruling class that enough is enough and to hop on a bus.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:36 am Your reading comprehension is beyond reproach.
+1

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:52 am
pelmet wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:28 am Harper never had a target of literally destroying the industry. Trudeau and you excellent MP do.
You are batshit crazy Pelmet, there's not a doubt in my mind you actually believe that crap with every cell in your body.
Rockie wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:52 am
Lets let others decide who is batshit crazy and then decide why they voted for Trudeau when they work at an airline....

"“Last Friday, we saw historic demonstrations for climate action around the world,” Trudeau said in Burnaby, referring to the global climate strike actions taking place all this week. “We are living in a pivotal, breathtaking moment … people are waking up. And it’s because young people, led by 16-year-old Greta Thunberg, are driving the conversation.”

Also, your environment minister....

https://twitter.com/cathmckenna/status/ ... 37?lang=en

https://twitter.com/cathmckenna/status/ ... 36?lang=en

Why are so many so gullible? They actually vote for this and then complain about what they vote for.

And right here on this forum, you are fooled by the likes of Rockie and Old fella.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Pelmet, are you having utterly different conversations in your head?

This thread started with an excellent letter from a pilot denouncing Trudeau and doing his part to bring attention to our cause.
Nobody here is defending the Liberals, but you jumped in out of nowhere and went straight on some hyper-political, self-important rant, somehow attacking the very person who is trying to fight for the industry.

We're all on the same side here, but your divisive, counter-productive rhetoric is fucking confusing. I'm not trying to personally attack you, but seriously, if you can't be supportive, at least get out of the way and don't pointlessly drag others down while we're all in the same boat.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:18 pm Pelmet, are you having utterly different conversations in your head?

This thread started with an excellent letter from a pilot denouncing Trudeau and doing his part to bring attention to our cause.
Nobody here is defending the Liberals, but you jumped in and went straight on some hyper-political, self-important rant, somehow attacking the very person who is trying to fight for the industry.

We're all on the same side here, but your divisive, counter-productive rhetoric is fucking confusing. I'm not trying to personally attack you, but seriously, if you can't be supportive, at least get out of the way and don't pointlessly drag others down while we're all in the same boat.
I understand your point and the overall goal of the letter.

But perhaps understand the confusion one can have when a party says indirectly that they want to end the careers of so many people in a field, that so many of those people vote for it and then get upset about it.

Sadly, I suspect there is not much money left as it is being allocated for green projects, billions of dollars. And much of the business traffic may be permanently gone meaning necessary downsizing even without the green energy policies.

With that, I will get out of the way and say good luck to all.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”