Ottawa has agreed to financial relief package for Air Canada, sources say

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Ottawa has agreed to financial relief package for Air Canada, sources say

Post by rudder »

altiplano wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 am Perhaps, but I wouldn't be certain of it.

I think Freeland was reading from a script there, and I think words are carefully chosen.

I paraphrase because I can't find the exact quote online, but it was explicitly two different things in the statement: "AC will be required to resume AC regional service to one group of 13 airports where service was suspended, and seek to enter into interline agreements to provide service to another group of 7 airports where service was cancelled."

Meanwhile the ACPA scope chair is flying a 100 hour month on VO...
The ‘cancelled service’ stations involved stations where Jazz staffed and managed ground operations. Usually Jazz counter staff and subcontracted ramp staff. AC likely do not want to return to staffing these stations using Jazz. Ergo, interline with no code share.

Also remains to be determined what the fate is of the 19 Express Dash 8-300’s. The ‘resumed service’ stations might be better served by the 50 seater than the Q400’s so some of the Dash 8’s might see their presence extended beyond 2021. Good news for Jazz and Jazz staff that were made inactive.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

rudder wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:01 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 am Perhaps, but I wouldn't be certain of it.

I think Freeland was reading from a script there, and I think words are carefully chosen.

I paraphrase because I can't find the exact quote online, but it was explicitly two different things in the statement: "AC will be required to resume AC regional service to one group of 13 airports where service was suspended, and seek to enter into interline agreements to provide service to another group of 7 airports where service was cancelled."

The ‘cancelled service’ stations involved stations where Jazz staffed and managed ground operations. Usually Jazz counter staff and subcontracted ramp staff. AC likely do not want to return to staffing these stations using Jazz. Ergo, interline with no code share.

Also remains to be determined what the fate is of the 19 Express Dash 8-300’s. The ‘resumed service’ stations might be better served by the 50 seater than the Q400’s so some of the Dash 8’s might see their presence extended beyond 2021. Good news for Jazz and Jazz staff that were made inactive.
I think you agree, this may not be CPA flying.

If it is outside the allowable CPA domestic flying, it's still scoped if AC is involved with it.

Percey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Percey »

Looks like a plan is in the works to resume service to previous Jazz stations “sans” Jazz...

https://www.lesailesduquebec.com/pascan ... bHn-iNPMN8

I was hoping Rudder’s suggestion of the 300’s potentially sticking around would come true- perhaps not...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Percey wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:34 am Looks like a plan is in the works to resume service to previous Jazz stations “sans” Jazz...

https://www.lesailesduquebec.com/pascan ... bHn-iNPMN8

I was hoping Rudder’s suggestion of the 300’s potentially sticking around would come true- perhaps not...
AC will try to enter in to ‘interline agreements’ for stations that it does not want to staff (using Jazz).

The ACPA scope language does not permit domestic codeshare on aircraft larger than 23 seats unless it is with a CPA carrier.

The ‘resumption of service’ list that AC provided likely delineates stations that will become interline serviced vs codeshare (CPA).

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Interline agreements to smaller outstations has ZERO negative consequences for AC pilots or AC.

It will only help to grow the network, and feed people to larger hubs were AC mainline aircraft fly out of. I personally could care less about anything under 50 seats anymore. That ship has sailed and it's not coming back. The more smaller towns we can get access too through codeshare/interline agreements the better.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You should care.

How many ex-Jazz CPA routes do you think it would be okay to outsource to a 3rd party?

Where do you think the Jazz aircraft will start flying to instead?

Is your position that as long as they serve it with under 50 seats you don't care how many routes or how often they fly?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

simply_no_one wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:55 pm Interline agreements to smaller outstations has ZERO negative consequences for AC pilots or AC.

It will only help to grow the network, and feed people to larger hubs were AC mainline aircraft fly out of. I personally could care less about anything under 50 seats anymore. That ship has sailed and it's not coming back. The more smaller towns we can get access too through codeshare/interline agreements the better.
So the job that Jazz does as a CPA.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

altiplano wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 am
Ah yes, one of our "concerned" pilots.

Ironic that he is the Scope Chair now.... what could possibly go wrong?

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

yycflyguy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 am
Ah yes, one of our "concerned" pilots.

Ironic that he is the Scope Chair now.... what could possibly go wrong?
What is the fleet type and base for him?

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

I'm trying to understand something here, so those of you more informed and more intelligent than I am, please clarify:

- Air Canada terminates their CPA with Sky Regional
- Jazz pilots have the Sky Regional pilots "shoved above them" in seniority while hundreds of their colleagues are on layoffs. Their union is happy because they got the 25 Embraers. "Extra 25 planes" while 19 Dash 8s are being retired. They say to their pilots "Don't worry, we have secured regional flying"
- Less than a month after, half the routes that were flown by Jazz will now be flown by Provincial Airlines(?) and whoever else decides to go in there.

It seems to me Jazz and their pilots got screwed here. Did they have a vote on this? (The pilots). I can't recall reading any of that here.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

The only routes that Jazz “lost” are seven destinations. They are all the smallest airports that the Dash-400 is too large(due to runway length etc or pax loads are thin) and since the plan is to remove the smaller dash-300, the routes were not viable. Since the government is forcing AC to somehow serve those routes, the only option is interline. It is not PAL(PAL is interlining for Encore). Rumor has it that’s it’s PASCAN with Saab 340 since 6 of those seven destinations are in northeastern Quebec

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

hithere wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:28 pm The only routes that Jazz “lost” are seven destinations. They are all the smallest airports that the Dash-400 is too large(due to runway length etc or pax loads are thin) and since the plan is to remove the smaller dash-300, the routes were not viable. Since the government is forcing AC to somehow serve those routes, the only option is interline. It is not PAL(PAL is interlining for Encore). Rumor has it that’s it’s PASCAN with Saab 340 since 6 of those seven destinations are in northeastern Quebec
Why do you think that AC will stop at 7? Once its proven that this will save AC money and its viable they will work hard to get away from having all their eggs in one basket (Jazz). The only reason I don't like it is because we already have the dashes and the crews for it.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

flyingcanuck wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:10 am
hithere wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:28 pm The only routes that Jazz “lost” are seven destinations. They are all the smallest airports that the Dash-400 is too large(due to runway length etc or pax loads are thin) and since the plan is to remove the smaller dash-300, the routes were not viable. Since the government is forcing AC to somehow serve those routes, the only option is interline. It is not PAL(PAL is interlining for Encore). Rumor has it that’s it’s PASCAN with Saab 340 since 6 of those seven destinations are in northeastern Quebec
Why do you think that AC will stop at 7? Once its proven that this will save AC money and its viable they will work hard to get away from having all their eggs in one basket (Jazz). The only reason I don't like it is because we already have the dashes and the crews for it.
Sad but lot of those dashes will end up as chip wagons and pop cans out along Highway 17 and 11 once parted out by the Chorus chop shop in North Bay.

Gravity always wins
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Every route sent to Jazz is money saved for AC. The whole reason they set things up this way is to save on salaries. It may make for more jobs, but it makes for lower pay than it might otherwise. So I think if I were at the top of the food chain, at The Show, I would not like that very much.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”