Living in Barrie, Working at YYZ

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RandyLahey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Living in Barrie, Working at YYZ

Post by RandyLahey »

I’ve been commuting for over 10 years and here is my two cents. You need to conduct two kinds of calculations; financial and emotional. The first is obvious, your gas monthly spending is going higher, so you have to determine if that’s a valuable extra spending given a lower house rate in Term 4. The second is a more important calculation that often gets ignored or forgotten about. You’re losing approx 2 hours of your time, whenever you commute back and forth. That’s valuable time that could’ve been spent with your loved ones. Personally, I’d rather live in a smaller house and spend more time with my family than commute longer, live in a bigger house and be resentful about it for the rest of my career. If you’re doing any sort of short commuting now and you feel like it’s causing you any kind of resentment, then having a longer commute and living in bigger cheaper house isn’t going to help. Like some have mentioned here, you could work it out (in the long run) in a way where you’re only commuting very few times a month, in that case it may be worth it. Good luck!
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

RandyLahey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:33 am I’ve been commuting for over 10 years and here is my two cents. You need to conduct two kinds of calculations; financial and emotional. The first is obvious, your gas monthly spending is going higher, so you have to determine if that’s a valuable extra spending given a lower house rate in Term 4. The second is a more important calculation that often gets ignored or forgotten about. You’re losing approx 2 hours of your time, whenever you commute back and forth. That’s valuable time that could’ve been spent with your loved ones. Personally, I’d rather live in a smaller house and spend more time with my family than commute longer, live in a bigger house and be resentful about it for the rest of my career. If you’re doing any sort of short commuting now and you feel like it’s causing you any kind of resentment, then having a longer commute and living in bigger cheaper house isn’t going to help. Like some have mentioned here, you could work it out (in the long run) in a way where you’re only commuting very few times a month, in that case it may be worth it. Good luck!
Very valid points. In the end you have to weight different factors that are important to you. I live in the country and for me that’s way more important than the extra time in a vehicle. But for others that extra time is a deal breaker. In the end you have to determine what’s most important for you.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

jpilot77 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:15 pm
RandyLahey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:33 am I’ve been commuting for over 10 years and here is my two cents. You need to conduct two kinds of calculations; financial and emotional. The first is obvious, your gas monthly spending is going higher, so you have to determine if that’s a valuable extra spending given a lower house rate in Term 4. The second is a more important calculation that often gets ignored or forgotten about. You’re losing approx 2 hours of your time, whenever you commute back and forth. That’s valuable time that could’ve been spent with your loved ones. Personally, I’d rather live in a smaller house and spend more time with my family than commute longer, live in a bigger house and be resentful about it for the rest of my career. If you’re doing any sort of short commuting now and you feel like it’s causing you any kind of resentment, then having a longer commute and living in bigger cheaper house isn’t going to help. Like some have mentioned here, you could work it out (in the long run) in a way where you’re only commuting very few times a month, in that case it may be worth it. Good luck!
Very valid points. In the end you have to weight different factors that are important to you. I live in the country and for me that’s way more important than the extra time in a vehicle. But for others that extra time is a deal breaker. In the end you have to determine what’s most important for you.
My best friend is Audiable... 90% of the time I listen to audio books and it makes the time go by really quick and quite enjoyable. Often I found myself arriving at YYZ after a few hours drive and I wish I had more time to see "what happens next". I'm not always in the mood to listen to books or if the traffic is heavy and I need to concentrate I turn it off or have some idiotic Euro trash techno going. (That also helps me stay awake on the return home, after a long 4 day pairing).

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”