Harmony throwing in the towel?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

Flightlevels
Rank 7
Rank 7

Harmony throwing in the towel?

Post by Flightlevels »

Apparently stopping the new YYC-YVR flights with the RJ and purchasing the presold seats on Westjet. I have noticed you can book in the spring of 2007 though. I suspect voyageur will get a nice chunk of change from a breach of contract. Anyone else know much about this?
---------- ADS -----------

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

I suspect voyageur will get a nice chunk of change from a breach of contract.
How long was the contract for?

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

I wonder if KR still has some arrangement with them. :lol:

EyeOh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by EyeOh »

Not a suprise. Loads couldnt keep a King Air going.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

too bad....i flew on that run a few times. service was great and the price was right.

YVR Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YVR Dude »

as far as I know, there was no breach of contract as the contract was for only a few months with an option to extend...the RJ was an experiment to see what the loads would be like...and they did find out!

Cheers 8)

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Hmmm...pretty expensive testing of the waters... anyone with half a clue about the industry could have told em that it was a money losing proposition.

YVRflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRflyer »

No breach of contract. The contract was not renewed / extended. As far as I know YYC was added as a 3 month test on request from Asian Interline and Code share partners for connecting passengers.

turbofishkiller
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by turbofishkiller »

YVR Dude wrote:...the RJ was an experiment to see what the loads would be like...and they did find out!

Cheers 8)
Actually the RJ was a short term contract to cover code share agreements with China Eastern and Cathay to carry PAX from china to Calgary so that the asian carriers could sell seats to that destination.

Nightflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nightflight »

Heard that an RJ will be going to the dark continent this spring.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

Harmony is returning 1 757 to its lessor at the end of March.. rumor has it another will be as well.

Stay tuned.

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

How many do they have?

RB211
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RB211 »

CanadaEH wrote:Harmony is returning 1 757 to its lessor at the end of March.. rumor has it another will be as well.

Stay tuned.
They are currently negotiating with the leasing company to retain the 757 whose lease concludes the end of March. That is the only one of the 4 that may be returned.

As you say, stay tuned.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

As you say, stay tuned.
Standing by. :D

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

I see the WestJet vultures are circling.

2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

Ya Harmony going under would benefit them soo much. :roll: The two airlines have nothing in common.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

I see the WestJet vultures are circling.
Why is it whenever a comment is made about another airline people resort to stupid comments like yours? I've heard from two sources within Harmony that have said one aircraft is being returned to its lessor at the end of March. I'm not jumping for joy - I'm simply sharing what I've been told... like the information or not.

BTW - some airlines stand out like a sore thumb to claim the title of "the next airline to fold" (a la Jetsgo); others jump out and surprise you (a la Canjet). This is an industry with a hell of a lot of obstacles to overcome whether you're 1 aircraft or 1000 and sometimes certain things jump out at you and make you go hmmmm........... something like Harmony dropping an aircraft is one of those, sorry to say. You can shoot the messenger all you want but this messenger has had nothing but good things to say about HMY and wishes nothing more than for Harmony to continue keeping some of his friends employed.

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

from yyznews.com-
Harmony Has applied for Fiji and Australia ---has applied to the CTA for permission to operate a scheduled international passenger service between points in Canada and Australia and Fiji. The applications specifically mention code- sharing only. The CTA has granted the necessary licenses and Harmony is now free to negotiate a code-share arrangement with other airlines to serve these points.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Harmony's 757's (1 or more) are getting scooped up my Zoom this year...just heard like an hour ago...maybe bullshit but I don't think so.

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

Harmony Has applied for Fiji and Australia ---has applied to the CTA for permission to operate a scheduled international passenger service between points in Canada and Australia and Fiji. The applications specifically mention code- sharing only. The CTA has granted the necessary licenses and Harmony is now free to negotiate a code-share arrangement with other airlines to serve these points.
Code-sharing agreement is in place with Hawaiian.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Harmony throwing in the towel?

Post by bmc »

Flightlevels wrote:Apparently stopping the new YYC-YVR flights with the RJ and purchasing the presold seats on Westjet. I have noticed you can book in the spring of 2007 though. I suspect voyageur will get a nice chunk of change from a breach of contract. Anyone else know much about this?
What was the escape clause in the contract?

bmc

RB211
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Harmony throwing in the towel?

Post by RB211 »

bmc wrote:
Flightlevels wrote:Apparently stopping the new YYC-YVR flights with the RJ and purchasing the presold seats on Westjet. I have noticed you can book in the spring of 2007 though. I suspect voyageur will get a nice chunk of change from a breach of contract. Anyone else know much about this?
What was the escape clause in the contract?
As was mentioned previously, the contract was for the summer schedule only. The flights ended when the contract ended. It was put in place to honour some inter-line arrangements with Asian carriers.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”