This is not good for the industry and its coming our way..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

This is not good for the industry and its coming our way..

Post by Rebel »

Tuesday July 13, 2004
JetBlue Cuts Fares By Up To 50 Percent

July 13, 2004 JetBlue Airways on Tuesday
said it will cut prices by as much as half on 1 million seats this fall, becoming the latest low-cost carrier to slash fares in recent days.

Southwest Airlines, AirTran Airways and ATA recently announced heavily discounted fares for fall flights, starting an unusually early round of price cuts in an industry that has been struggling to keep profits alive.

Fare sales are common in the period between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, traditionally one of the weakest seasons for US airlines.

But price cuts are usually announced later in the year and are typically led by the major carriers.

New York-based JetBlue said it is offering one-way fares of USD$29 to USD$99 if tickets are bought by July 29.Dallas-based Southwest last week slashed its prices by as much as 65 percent, offering USD$39 to USD$99 fares on late summer and early fall flights.

AirTran also announced a 30 percent price cut on all its fares.Larger carriers, such as Delta Air Lines, Continental Airlines and American Airlines, have already dropped fares to match Southwest's discounts.(Reuters
---------- ADS -----------

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Rebel,

To say that what some twits in the good old US of A are doing and to say its coming our way is anything but true or practical. Considering how slim the bottom line is right now with so many carriers and the extremes in fuel prices, Canadian carriers simply do not have the competition or resources to even consider such a move. That's not to say that traveling Canadians would be jumping up and down to have something like that happen here. The U.S and Canadian markets and bussiness plans are too different...........that's only my two cents.

Going to be interesting to see what comes off this in the U.S, Hope they have well padded bank accounts.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

EasyJet sells tickets for $1.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

slowstream

Traditionally what happens in the US repeats it-self here six months later. As cyyz has pointed out JetsGo is already selling fares for $1.

The intention of the headline was to give a head’s-up for the possibility of what is occurring elsewhere, occurring in Canada..

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Rebel

I know what your saying and I have seen it for many many years myself and not just limited to aviation but I am having a very hard time swallowing this one. I'll be the first to admit that I could be wrong but doing something so flipping stupid and reckless is I hope beyound acceptable limits for Canada. To try and do this type of business plan for any prolonged period of time will be disasterous for many.

That's my 2 cents and time will tell :roll:

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

slowstream

I agree but unfortunately the entrepreneur’s behind the LCC’s have put themselves on a path to self destruction whose consequences will be felt by all. I understand that there are books explaining or trying to explain the thinking of entrepreneur’s when they appear to self-destruct.

IMHO the entrepreneur’s in aviation have certainly contributed to aviation’s down fall and the pain is not over for those employed in the industry.

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Rebel

What??? the pain is not over? why burst my bubble Rebel ?LOL :lol:

My world a person is allowed to take stupid people out back and put them out of their misery and save us the frustration :lol: .

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Your a little late

Post by The Hammer »

Southwest announced 50% cuts to fares like a week and a half ago with all the majors responding likewise :D

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”