Harmony Pulls Pin on Sked Flying

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

User avatar
Airband
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:57 am

Harmony Pulls Pin on Sked Flying

Post by Airband »

Harmony Airways Ends Scheduled Flight Service

Tue. Mar. 27 2007
Canadian Press

VANCOUVER -- Harmony Airways is ending its scheduled flight service and restructuring into what owner David Ho calls a going concern.

The airline's flights to Toronto will end March 30 and its other scheduled flights will end April 9.

The airline, which has three planes, will provide full refunds to anyone already booked to travel to and from Toronto after March 30 or any other destination after April 9.

Ho says increasing operating costs, overcapacity in the market and aggressive price competition from larger carriers prompted the move.

Harmony will now look at other possible business models, including charters.

The airline will give layoff notices to most of its 350 staff.

Since it launched four years ago, Harmony's destinations have included Honolulu, Maui, Las Vegas, New York, Palm Springs, San Francisco and Toronto.

Harmony had plans to start scheduled flights to China but that never happened.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:38 pm
Location: If I knew that I wouldn't be lost

Post by Jet Dog »

looks like the nay-sayers were right on this one.. hopefully no pilots are affected, and they keep their current fleet for the charters, but I think unlikely not
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
flyin' fish
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Halifax

Post by flyin' fish »

Yet another airline can't make it. To everybody at HMY, hope you guys can keep your jobs. If not, I feel for you, it ain't easy.
---------- ADS -----------
  
ooooo, you guys are even lazier than me!

User avatar
flyin' fish
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Halifax

Post by flyin' fish »

strange, no responses.
---------- ADS -----------
  
ooooo, you guys are even lazier than me!

Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:38 pm
Location: If I knew that I wouldn't be lost

Post by Jet Dog »

probably cause theres a dozen other threads through out this fourm board
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
green bastard
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:30 pm

Post by green bastard »

Sorry folks at Harmony, it really sucks. I know some of you have been through this before, at least once. Many of us have also been through this. Working for eccentric millionaires like DH, KR ML has little future. At least when you work for a publicly traded company you at least know when times are good or when times are bad and you can see it coming.
Good luck to you and your families,

GB
---------- ADS -----------
  

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:33 am

Post by pika »

C3 was public. Still didn't see it coming.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:11 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

Jet Dog wrote:.. hopefully no pilots are affected
Mind if I use that as a tag line?
---------- ADS -----------
  

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 am

Post by J31 »

pika wrote:C3 was public. Still didn't see it coming.
Surly you jest…….C3000 was in a slow slide starting in the summer of 2001. September 11 did incredible damage and depleted any cash reserves they had. The “Bone Head” comment about running out of money by Christmas all but sealed their fate. November 7 was very painful for us involved but I think the writing was on the wall for a while. It was not an unexpected, sudden shutdown of the likes of CJ & HMY.
CJ & HMY are still going while C3000 evaporated very quickly.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Post by Rockie »

J31 wrote:
pika wrote:C3 was public. Still didn't see it coming.
Surly you jest…….C3000 was in a slow slide starting in the summer of 2001. September 11 did incredible damage and depleted any cash reserves they had. The “Bone Head” comment about running out of money by Christmas all but sealed their fate. November 7 was very painful for us involved but I think the writing was on the wall for a while. It was not an unexpected, sudden shutdown of the likes of CJ & HMY.
CJ & HMY are still going while C3000 evaporated very quickly.
I think what he might mean is that for the first twelve years of its life, C3 was an extremely well run company that was profitable every single year. It had a measured business plan that would ensure they didn't reach too far, too quickly. Then spring 2001 came and they bought Royal and CJ and we were all scratching our heads. We had twelve years of solid business leadership and I guess it was very difficult to believe that they could lose their sanity so completely and quickly like that. We still had a certain amount of trust in them that if they said buying Royal was good, then maybe it was. The corporate management at C3 sustained that fallacy by not diverting from the plunge over the cliff at all over their remaining months of life until it was far, far too late. They committed suicide while maintaining a happy face right to the end. C3's past solid history, and the breathtaking pace at which they threw it all away took me and a lot of people by surprise, and so maybe we didn't believe the signs that were there until it was too late.
---------- ADS -----------
  

EI-EIO
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Post by EI-EIO »

wasn't there talk of a Zoom-HMY merger? Or did Zoom decide to concentrate on launching Zoom UK?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:38 pm
Location: If I knew that I wouldn't be lost

Post by Jet Dog »

HMY and CJ should merge seeing how they're both in the same boat
---------- ADS -----------
  

YVRflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:51 pm

Post by YVRflyer »

Zoom is for sale. I guess that's were the rumour was coming from as Harmony had a look into it. Heard Westjet had a look at Zoom too and decided not to buy it.
---------- ADS -----------
  

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:33 am

Post by pika »

At least when you work for a publicly traded company you at least know when times are good or when times are bad and you can see it coming.
My point was that nothing on the books would indicate a shutdown.
---------- ADS -----------
  

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1074
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 am

Post by J31 »

Rockie wrote: I think what he might mean is that for the first twelve years of its life, C3 was an extremely well run company that was profitable every single year. It had a measured business plan that would ensure they didn't reach too far, too quickly. Then spring 2001 came and they bought Royal and CJ and we were all scratching our heads. We had twelve years of solid business leadership and I guess it was very difficult to believe that they could lose their sanity so completely and quickly like that. We still had a certain amount of trust in them that if they said buying Royal was good, then maybe it was. The corporate management at C3 sustained that fallacy by not diverting from the plunge over the cliff at all over their remaining months of life until it was far, far too late. They committed suicide while maintaining a happy face right to the end. C3's past solid history, and the breathtaking pace at which they threw it all away took me and a lot of people by surprise, and so maybe we didn't believe the signs that were there until it was too late.
Yes you are right…a very good company went down the tubes very fast. :cry:
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Stoptheworld
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:18 pm

Post by Stoptheworld »

Rockie,

Excellent and insightful post. For a while it looked like C3 could really step into the void. Unfortunately, Sept 11th happened. Then C3 took a real political gamble in appealing for help to the most incompetent Transport Minister this country has ever had.

I don't know all the facts on that Royal takeover but there were lots of rumors about some real impropriety on the part of the industries greatest friend; ML.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Stop the World - I Wanna Get Off

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Post by Rockie »

[quote="Stoptheworld"I don't know all the facts on that Royal takeover but there were lots of rumors about some real impropriety on the part of the industries greatest friend; ML.[/quote]

While it is a fact ML is one of the lowest of the low and everybody and his dog knows he's a shameless crook, the corporate management at C3 knew that too when they got into bed with him. They knew ML cooked the books and still they bought it. So I don't blame ML. I blame C3's management.
---------- ADS -----------
  

wrc
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: YYC

Post by wrc »

I think you're dead on Rockie.
---------- ADS -----------
  

sky1
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Post by sky1 »

I m sorry but I must say something about the last post. M L is the only reason that I lost my home . And my wife. Had to start all over again. Still paying for it. He will pay when he meets his Maker. For all of us who are suffering now.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Post by Rockie »

sky1 wrote:I m sorry but I must say something about the last post. M L is the only reason that I lost my home . And my wife. Had to start all over again. Still paying for it. He will pay when he meets his Maker. For all of us who are suffering now.
I will join you in a toast to that Sky!
---------- ADS -----------
  

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3240
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:58 am

Post by ScudRunner »

C3 didnt see it coming?

I was a mear ramp rat at YVR and saw that coming a mile away.
---------- ADS -----------
  

YVR Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 am

Post by YVR Dude »

This will be my second airline and third company to fail in aviation...sometimes I wonder if it is at all worth it! :( Once again dusting off the resume, and sending out the cover letters, and letters of interest.
The only good thing this time around vs Canada 3000 is that we have some notice, and the industry is doing waaay better than it was after 11 sep 01.

But I have to tell you all...this bites! Big time! I'm tired of working my way up seniority lists just to be slammed back down to the bottom of another list :roll: ...Making friends and then losing them...Having a great lifestyle, then losing that!
The best thing? As always, its the people..we had a solid bunch of really good guys and gals to work with and wouldn't give that up for nothing..as I quote a saying.." Life is not about the Destination… it is all about the JOURNEY" I have to say this...What a journey it has been! It has been an honour to work with the people that I have and I wish them all the luck and good will as they move out around the industry looking for the good life, they certainly deserve it! :prayer:

Garth Brooks wrote in one of his songs.."I could have missed the pain, but I would have missed the dance!"

Two very good quotes that seem to have just a little bit more meaning than before...Just remember to hold your head high, dance like nobody is watching, and sing like no one can hear you! We gave it our best and if not for some senior decisions, might still be here today.. :rolleyes:

I bid you adieu and hopefully soon, back in the friendly skies! :smt039

Cheers everyone!

YVR Dude 8)
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
flyin' fish
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Halifax

Post by flyin' fish »

YVR dude, take that 757 PPC and head overseas. When CJ shut down, it was the kick in the ass I need to start pursuing something better.
Trust me, this is a blessing in disguise when you really see what's out there.

Good Luck!
---------- ADS -----------
  
ooooo, you guys are even lazier than me!

User avatar
neophyte
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Post by neophyte »

Surely WJ, AC and Jazz would love to snap up some experience Harmony drivers. I am almost certain that CJ drivers got "front of the line" treatment at Jazz when it all but dissolved.

Regardless, good luck to all effected company wide.

Neo
---------- ADS -----------
  

WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:48 am
Location: in front of my computer.

Post by WJ700 »

YVR Dude wrote:This will be my second airline and third company to fail in aviation...sometimes I wonder if it is at all worth it! :( Once again dusting off the resume, and sending out the cover letters, and letters of interest.
The only good thing this time around vs Canada 3000 is that we have some notice, and the industry is doing waaay better than it was after 11 sep 01.

But I have to tell you all...this bites! Big time! I'm tired of working my way up seniority lists just to be slammed back down to the bottom of another list :roll: ...Making friends and then losing them...Having a great lifestyle, then losing that!
The best thing? As always, its the people..we had a solid bunch of really good guys and gals to work with and wouldn't give that up for nothing..as I quote a saying.." Life is not about the Destination… it is all about the JOURNEY" I have to say this...What a journey it has been! It has been an honour to work with the people that I have and I wish them all the luck and good will as they move out around the industry looking for the good life, they certainly deserve it! :prayer:

Garth Brooks wrote in one of his songs.."I could have missed the pain, but I would have missed the dance!"

Two very good quotes that seem to have just a little bit more meaning than before...Just remember to hold your head high, dance like nobody is watching, and sing like no one can hear you! We gave it our best and if not for some senior decisions, might still be here today.. :rolleyes:

I bid you adieu and hopefully soon, back in the friendly skies! :smt039

Cheers everyone!

YVR Dude 8)
It sucks, I've been there too. However, WestJet has a package available, specific for Harmony pilots... just like they had for interested Canjet pilots. You can live in YVR, gain a lot of seniority in the next few years; and make more $ in the end.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”