Harmony Pulls Pin on Sked Flying

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Oops. Thanks Rye. I must be confusing them with Sunwing. I thought someone else said they were also. Anyway, pretty good experience in that camp. Shouldn't be waisted.
---------- ADS -----------

Flightlevels
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Flightlevels »

I have to ask why WJ or anyone would open the door immediately? Todays companies have to ensure they are getting the right individual first. The technicle attributes are a bonus. I certainly don't fault WJ or anyone else taking the time to choose the cream from Harmony. Question for the Harmony guys...who would consider it a backwards step coming to WJ? and why or why not. This is so typical of when a company closes. I have seen it so many times now with jetsgo, canjet, c3 etc. the time in getting a job can't pass fast enough. The reality is it will take time and patience. I do understand livelyhoods are affected. I personally think it is great that WJ sent Gina out. She gave you the facts and an information package, what did you expect to hear? just curious. BTW pilothiring@westjet.com is a direct link to DP, not a generic email and all emails will be answered by him with that link.

Last edited by Flightlevels on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flightlevels
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Flightlevels »

RB211 wrote:
Flightlevels wrote: WJ is having a hiring fair as we speak for all employees of Harmony. The HR dept went out yesterday. The pilot hiring guy here sent a package over to them as well. How's that for westjettitude. Did the other guys set up a hiring fair yet? you seem to be well informed. Not. I just spoke with DP in hiring and nobody spoke to him from Harmony....he should know if anyone. I think your misinformed RB, give him a call yourself and find out the facts.Open door here.
I am more informed than you appear to be. I was there and you were not. I know what the Harmony pilots were told and it wasn't an open door. It was definitively a message that there is no preference given to Harmony pilots. So the question is, why bother coming to YVR?

I don't have a problem with WJ not wanting to accelerate the process. I just don't think it was necessary to raise hopes by having a so called 'job fair'.

AC has offered to fast track the process for any interested Harmony pilots and Parc is in YVR on Wednesday. I'll take those real offers over your 'Westjetitude' any day.
Fair enough, enjoy those offers. The open door I was referring to is to come in or openly talk with DP one on one,(only in one or two days a week) not an open door to a job. WJ came to YVR with information. Pilots specifically got the handout. That is more than the average joe. If WJ raised the expectation of a pilot job on day one of the fair then whoever said that was misinformed. Gina is the ONLY HR person that deals with pilot hiring under Dave and Scott. Those are the ONLY people aside from the other PST members anyone should listen to for accurate information.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Flightlevels wrote:I have to ask why WJ or anyone would open the door immediately? Todays companies have to ensure they are getting the right individual first. The technicle attributes are a bonus. I certainly don't fault WJ or anyone else taking the time to choose the cream from Harmony. Question for the Harmony guys...who would consider it a backwards step coming to WJ? and why or why not. ...
I certainly wouldn't expect WJ or anyone to just open the door to anyone from Harmony. The experience/qualifications give the employer the first indication of 'fit' and the desire to interview. Then it is a chance for employer and applicant to find out if the opportunity is mutually acceptable.

I think whether going to WJ or AC is seen as a backwards step would depend on the position held at HQ. It depends on what defines backwards: rank/position, pay, realtive seniority etc. It's a bit of a snakes and ladders game: climb the ladder then land on a snake and slide backwards. The next roll of the dice could find you further along. Who knows?

That is the nature of this crazy business though. Whether or not it is a step back isn't so much the issue as how an one deals with it.

WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

Bottom line, in my opinion. The Harmony Pilots will end up at the top of WestJet's selection list no matter what. It's computerized, it has to happen. I don't know what AC happens to do, but I can only assume a Harmony pilot would float to the top of their selction list. So its up to the Harmony pilot to decide what they want, and sell them self to either carrier
. Either way, good luck to them, it's a great time to be shopping for a job in the Candian market ,however, in Canada, it's just never a great market to have a job in.

neophyte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neophyte »

Amen WJ!

Although unfortunate, a lot of us would jump at the opportunity of an "open door" at WJ.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”