Fuel Surcharge???

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Fuel Surcharge???

Post by Panama Jack »

A few days ago I went to my favorite airline office to buy my ticket, which had become a little more expensive in the last few weeks. Not that the fare had changed. No. The airline had enacted a "fuel surcharge." In fact, in reading the paper, most airlines had enacted "fuel surcharges."

What exactly is this "fuel surcharge?" Yes, I am well aware that the price of oil has gone up and is at historic highs. Yes, I am also aware that this has made the cost of flying more expensive. However, the cost of fuel is just one additional cost of doing business. Why not just readjust your fares and be done with it rather than B.S.'ing customers? The next time an employee group gets a raise, will the airline tag a "airline collective agreement surcharge?" Or when insurance rates go up, like they did after 9/11 a "insurance surcharge?" How about when there is a mad cow scare and the price of beef goes up, will the airlines serving meals charge a "beef surcharge?"

Flying has never been cheaper, and the profit margins are slim as is. IMHO, airlines should dig their embarassment of trying to charge enough to make a reasonable profit while providing a good service. The longer I am in the aviation industry, the less I understand the logic.
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Hear, Hear...Since when has anybody paid attention to common sense in this industry.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

PJ, I agree entirely with what you said.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”