YVR SECURITY MINIONS

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MacDoo
Rank 1
Rank 1

YVR SECURITY MINIONS

Post by MacDoo »

I fly with a Canadian airline and find that the YVR security folks are enforcing what seems to be their own homemade rules. I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Specifically, on one occasion when I was deadheading, they took away my shampoo, and yesterday while deadheading they took away my shaving cream. On both occasions, I had a Crew tag on my bag, and offered to show ID. I haven't had any occurences such as this with other North American airports.

Comments?
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I believe TC circular 120? deals with deadheading crews, if anybody has a copy post it , mine is tucked into my crew bag to have them examine when they try to ride me followed with a call to the regional catsa director.

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

you have to be traveling in uniform when dead heading if you want to be exempt from the 100ml bs...

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

negative, this circular specifically states that uni is not required

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

The problem with this whole thing is that there is no clear cut standard for the whole country. TC establishes the minimum guidelines and thereafter each airport authority adds their 2 cents. Anyone who has been through London (YXU) will know what I am talking about.

If you want to avoid the hassle, go through in uniform and then put on a golf shirt once you are on the other side.

flyin' fish
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyin' fish »

Pearson is fun like that before non-yyz employees couldn't use the bypass doors.
Mondays, jacket stays on, ID is checked
Tuesdays, shoes come off and ID is not checked
Wednesdays, jackets come off, shoes come off and you get grief about that 125ml bottle of mouthwash
Thursdays, laptop can stay in, shoes off, jacket on and ID is not checked
Fridays, the rubber glove comes out
You get the picture. YQM I found the worst. Deadheading in uniform and everything gets checks. Shoes off, jacket off, luggage searched, patted down and the laptop gets that explosive check.
I find each airport puts it's own madates in, but each employee love that little patch on their shoulder and love to use it.
Wonder if they'll ever take away my crash axe and jet fuel?

ooooo, you guys are even lazier than me!
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

rigpiggy wrote:negative, this circular specifically states that uni is not required
try to tell that to security... i've had the same problems in YEG

Drinking outside the box.
prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Better get your hands on the "amended" circular. Wear your uniform or conform to the limitation on liquids and gels.

backon3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by backon3 »

Most of these people are just a warm body that can dial a phone number if someone were to pass by. You get what you pay for.. ie grandmas, etc. Especially in YYZ. I love how they are all "sargents" by rank.

boeingguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by boeingguy »

rigpiggy wrote:I believe TC circular 120? deals with deadheading crews, if anybody has a copy post it , mine is tucked into my crew bag to have them examine when they try to ride me followed with a call to the regional catsa director.
rigpiggy: can you provide a link for this circular? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I picked mine up from flight ops and photocopied one for my bag next time in I'll try to scan for this place someone explain how to upload as I am an IDtenT with computers

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

USE OF BY-PASS DOORS BY
DEADHEADING CREW MEMBERS

This notice is to advise that deadheading
crew members who are acting in the
course of their employment pursuant to the
Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, i.e.
who are required to fly to a destination to act
as a crew member on another flight, may use
the by-pass doors to access their flight.
Note : Deadheading crew members may be
wearing either company uniform or civilian
attire. However, when they are not wearing
company uniform, they are subject to the
liquids, gels and aerosols restrictions.

Martin Tamme
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Martin Tamme »

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

pilotbzh wrote:USE OF BY-PASS DOORS BY
DEADHEADING CREW MEMBERS

Where is this in the circular. Everybody print this and carry it with you

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

For some...even after 17 years of going through the security gates as a crew member...I still get the "pull over " nod. In uniform or in a pair of jeans and sandals.

Live with it. it's life. On a side note, I get more hassled when I'm the only 'darker' one of the bunch waiting to go through security. Until they stumble onto my red pass and excuse themselves.

One time, as my pants and boxers were wrapped around my ankles and the security guy was elbow 'deep' looking for what I suspect was Jesus in my 'special' place he advised me to put the red card on the next time I go through security. I replied, "and what...give up this one on one interaction???...I don't think so"

Bottom line I don't pose with the red card, when I'm not working a flight. I don't advertise that I'm in the biz as flight crew when traveling as a passenger. But what I do do is throw the red card into the tray along with my change when I empty my pockets. That seems to help the process from pulling out ALL my junk in my "nap-sack" for flight bag for secondary screening/inspection.

Try it, let us know if it works a bit better.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: YVR SECURITY MINIONS

Post by genetic jack hammer »

MacDoo wrote:I fly with a Canadian airline and find that the YVR security folks are enforcing what seems to be their own homemade rules. I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Specifically, on one occasion when I was deadheading, they took away my shampoo, and yesterday while deadheading they took away my shaving cream. On both occasions, I had a Crew tag on my bag, and offered to show ID. I haven't had any occurences such as this with other North American airports.

Comments?
Are you kidding me? Have you seen the folks working at CATSA? They desparately need as much shampoo as they can get...not to mention mouthwash.

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Martin: The bulletin you posted has been superceded by 120A/M dated 2007-07-18. Better get a new copy! :D

Martin Tamme
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Martin Tamme »

Yes, you are right. Just noticed that the new Bulletin released a few days ago states:

Sorry for that. It's hard to keep up when they keep changing their minds every other day.

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

That's right folks! We now have this fancy biometric ID to make sure it is us in the picture. However, your shampoo is much more dangerous when you aren't wearing your uniform!

At least we are now allowed to open our own bypass door in YYZ...right up there with the Timmies employees! :lol:

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
GearBay Overheat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GearBay Overheat »

Just a word of caution....probably not a good idea to post Transport Canada security Bulletins on the internet.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”