US Jumpseaters

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

djgeea
Rank 0
Rank 0

US Jumpseaters

Post by djgeea »

I am an American pilot flying for Chautauqua Airlines based out of Buffalo. I am wondering if anybody knows anything about jumpseating. I understand that I can't sit in the jumpseat. I have tried several times with a 50% rate of success. Leaving out of Canada seems to be impossible. I have always been successful out of the US into Canada. Does anybody know a better way to get on the flight out of Canada? The gate agents always stop me and don't allow me to physically meet the PIC to say hello. They say that Chautauqua is not on the list, but my union jumpseat co-ordinator says that we are. I'm confused and wondering if anybody knows anything definitive.
---------- ADS -----------

Sprung
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: US Jumpseaters

Post by Sprung »

Chautauqua Airlines is on Jazz's J/S list.

You have to list yourself on the flight by calling 800-413-1113 (option 7). The agent will create a PNR and give you a locator number.

As long as there is room on the flight, and the crew has an F/D coupon, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

The easiest way around the agent is to make sure you are at the gate early enough to see the crew getting on and just say hi. (although I'm sure you already know that... lol) The vast majority of us enjoy meeting pilots from other airlines and will make sure that if there is an empty seat you will be in it. The agents don't always tell us if there are people trying to get on and with some of our flights being weight restricted, will just assume that we won't be able to take them. If we know, we can usually do a pax breakdown and make some more room to get you on.

Buzz Lightyear
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Buzz Lightyear »

Can you guys tell me why so many US airlines, and some of them pretty small at that, are on Jazz jumpseat list, while Canadian airlines like Air Inuit or Air Creebec are not?!

I don't know who decides who is good enough to jumpseat on Jazz but I find it frustrating that we fly each others passengers and are not "trusted" to jumpseat.

B.

Born to fly, forced to work
NorthSky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NorthSky »

Maybe the unions involved are facilitating in some cases?

seafeye
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by seafeye »

Here in the US it takes some time but you can get your company listed on the Jumpseating agreement by writing to the Director of Ops of the company, CC to the Chief Pilot and the Union.
Takes a little time but it can be done with a little letter writing.

For the third friggin time....Flt 124 at 24oh!
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Buzz Lightyear wrote:Can you guys tell me why so many US airlines, and some of them pretty small at that, are on Jazz jumpseat list, while Canadian airlines like Air Inuit or Air Creebec are not?! B.
Why you ask?

Chautaqua was one of the few original companies good enough to guys at Jazz to allow Jazz pilots to jumpseat (in the cabin) when Jazz management said NO! to reciprocal jumpseating. They were willing to give Jazz guys the jumpseat even when we could not reciprocate with the understanding and hope that one day we would be able to. Jazz people own a lot to the colleagues at Chautaqua and a few other US airlines for that.

Fortunately, Jazz management changed their stance and now reciprocal jumpseating is allowed. Not happy with your situation? Talk to your management, get a jumpseat coordinator appointed and let your company get the authority to sign a reciprocal agreement with other airlines. That is how it works!

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”