Jazz announces service to Nunavut

Post by Cold and Dark »

---------- ADS -----------

onspeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jazz announces service to Nunavut

Post by onspeed »

How long before WJ is on this run as well?

magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

hmm. I wonder how this will affect the other nortern operators such as first air and candian north air inuit...etc

also how/why did they decide to just now start flying up there did they need to get rights, or is it free for all

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

I'm a little surprised that Jazz would do this. I think we were expecting AC and WJ. Now it's just a matter of time I'm sure.

As to how it will affect the other northern airlines, time will tell. This aspect of this news release has been flogged on the other thread regarding YZF service.

Cheers,

ETTW

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Where's FICU and his outrage? :roll:

Drinking outside the box.
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Four1oh wrote:Where's FICU and his outrage? :roll:
Lets see....one way fare on AC Jazz to YFB $659. Not really the same as WJ going into YZF at $75 one way!!!

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

whiteguy wrote:
Lets see....one way fare on AC Jazz to YFB $659. Not really the same as WJ going into YZF at $75 one way!!!
And? AC is driving down the cost of a ticket, doesn't that make them the bad guy here? So let me get this straight, it's ok for AC to offer a lower fare that still keeps them profitable, regardless of the northern carrier's break even price, but when WJ does it, they're evil? :lol:

Drinking outside the box.
The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

I e-mailed my friend who travels north every second year to do some trekking across the Arctic. Here was his response:

Excellent.

I look back at my flying to the north with First Air. $3,200 to Resolute (return), $1,800 to Pangnirtung (return). On all 3 trips to the north First Air either lost something or never delivered. On our way to Ellesmere all of our camping gear (sent via Air Cargo over a month before) did not arrive.

This should be good for Air Canada. I must admit the meals were excellent on First Air but you sure are paying for it!

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

So the current northern airline seat sale airfare is $699/one way.

Jazz arrives and offers an intro of $659/one way.

A drop of less than 10% on the fare, and a fare that should allow profitability even while selling more than a few seats at that rate.

How does this compare to WJ and their current promotions?

YQT-Punta Cana for $29

YEG-PSP/LAX/Cabo San Lucas for $69

London, ON to Orlando for $49

YWG to Mazatlan for $49

Are you sure that M. Leblanc is not running the show at WJ?

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

It seems like there's too much capacity as it is on the Ottawa-Iqaluit route. First Air and Canadian North and now Jazz? We'll see how it goes!

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I'm touched that you keep me in your thoughts 41oh.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Four1oh wrote:
whiteguy wrote:
And? AC is driving down the cost of a ticket, doesn't that make them the bad guy here? So let me get this straight, it's ok for AC to offer a lower fare that still keeps them profitable, regardless of the northern carrier's break even price, but when WJ does it, they're evil? :lol:
You said it yourself. "its ok for AC to offer a lower fare that still keeps them profitable". If AC was doing this to WJ they'd be on the competition bureau hot line!

the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the original tony »

Either the hotline, or announce their own service starting Mar 27 '10
10 mins earlier than AC and $1 cheaper, but you have to do your research for that, if you know what i mean.............

Tony

WetJet
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WetJet »

At least with the 705 there should be room for the extra bags and gear that people will undoubtedly bring...

Last edited by WetJet on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

The Raven wrote:I e-mailed my friend who travels north every second year to do some trekking across the Arctic. Here was his response:

Excellent.

I look back at my flying to the north with First Air. $3,200 to Resolute (return), $1,800 to Pangnirtung (return). On all 3 trips to the north First Air either lost something or never delivered. On our way to Ellesmere all of our camping gear (sent via Air Cargo over a month before) did not arrive.

This should be good for Air Canada. I must admit the meals were excellent on First Air but you sure are paying for it!
Here's the thing. Your friend might well get a better price with JAZZ to YFB but I have no idea how his bags are gonna get there in the back of a 705. I'd love to be a fly on the ceiling at YUL and YOW AC ticket counter when Joe Pudloo and the rest of the North shows up with his 2 FULL hockey bags and 2 55 pound action packers to got to YFB in a CRJ705. :lol:

To boot, JAZZ ain't gonna north from YFB so they don't have the infrastructure to put the polish on your friends trip. We have the infrastructure, experience, and equipment to do the job that JAZZ and WJ don't feel the need to do. I'm sorry to say but YRB is an expensive place to operate out of as are all of the communites up there, hence the dramatic ticket prices.

But as I said above, this topic has been beaten to death in the YZF thread. Time will tell.

Cheers,

ETTW

PS I'm sorry your friends trips were fouled up because of missing baggage. That's a rotten deal.

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Just wait till it hit's -41 haw haw

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

ettw wrote:
The Raven wrote:I e-mailed my friend who travels north every second year to do some trekking across the Arctic. Here was his response:

Excellent.

Here's the thing. Your friend might well get a better price with JAZZ to YFB but I have no idea how his bags are gonna get there in the back of a 705. I'd love to be a fly on the ceiling at YUL and YOW AC ticket counter when Joe Pudloo and the rest of the North shows up with his 2 FULL hockey bags and 2 55 pound action packers to got to YFB in a CRJ705. :lol:

To boot, JAZZ ain't gonna north from YFB so they don't have the infrastructure to put the polish on your friends trip. We have the infrastructure, experience, and equipment to do the job that JAZZ and WJ don't feel the need to do. I'm sorry to say but YRB is an expensive place to operate out of as are all of the communites up there, hence the dramatic ticket prices.

But as I said above, this topic has been beaten to death in the YZF thread. Time will tell.

Cheers,

ETTW

PS I'm sorry your friends trips were fouled up because of missing baggage. That's a rotten deal.

Don't be too fast to pat yourself on the back regarding baggage ETTW. As my friend mentioned in his e-mail, on each of the trips he made, First Air either lost some of his luggage or in one case they never delivered it at all.

As a matter of fact, he told me that when he goes on these adventure tours to the Arctic, First Air requires him to send his gear at least a month in advance. They do so, because they can't guarantee which flight it will get on. On his trip to Ellesmere Island, he shipped his gear a month ahead and was told by First Air that it was waiting for him when he gets to YFB. Upon arrival in YFB he finds out from First Air that his gear is still in Ottawa and they can't tell him when it will be shipped north. These high Arctic adventure tours cost him $20,000 each time he goes. It sort of pi$$es him off when he gets to his destination and he finds out First Air can't find the space to ship his equipment when they've had a month to do so.

Anyway, I am sure Jazz will have it's challenges in this environment. But you have to admit, a bit of competition can't hurt.

The Raven

Last edited by The Raven on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

ya I guess some competition would be a good thing considering 7F charges almost 2k for a round trip from ottawa to Iqaluit. $2000..are you kidding me!!!!!! one could fly from vancouver to almost anywhere in asia for less than that. unbelievable how others haven't picked up on these routes . its only a 2.5 hour flight , why so much?

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

Kruk: I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't ventured too far outside of the major cosmopolitan areas of this country in your aviation career/leisure flying. How copy?

onspeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onspeed »

Raven,

That's a bad deal on the baggage. First Air used to have that problem, now with the 767 online the 737 doesn't carry food mail so his bags should be making it north on time. Although as ETTW pointed out, if you thought 7F was bad with baggage ... Just wait till the RJ shows up, would the resolute parka even fit in the overhead bins?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”