sky regional leasing 5 q400s from jazz? news article error?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

airmech07
Rank 2
Rank 2

sky regional leasing 5 q400s from jazz? news article error?

Post by airmech07 »

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-ne ... ter-29106/
Sky Regional To Pressure Porter
By: Gregory Polek

March 29, 2011
Regional Airlines, Air Transport and Cargo

An Air Canada affiliate plans to launch operations from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport on May 1, posing the first competition from the controversial downtown island airfield for incumbent regional carrier Porter Airlines since it launched operations in 2006.

Air Canada said last month that a new regional affiliate–Sky Regional Airlines–would operate up to 15 daily return flights between downtown Toronto and Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport using five Bombardier Q400 turboprops leased from Air Canada subsidiary Jazz Air.

Commonly known as Toronto Island Airport, the downtown facility has stood at the center of controversy ever since City Center Aviation–a company controlled by Porter Airlines founder Robert Deluce–evicted Air Canada from the island airport in 2006. Along with Continental Airlines, Air Canada–after a series of court battles–grudgingly accepted a minority share of new slots allocated last year by the Toronto Port Authority and declared its intention to return to Toronto Island in February. However, complex leasehold

are they leasing them from jazz or is this an error?
---------- ADS -----------

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: sky regional leasing 5 q400s from jazz? news article err

Post by teacher »

Since we havn't taken delivery of any Q400s I have a hard time believing we could lease any out. Didn't they belong to a company named Lynx or something? Unless Jazz bought them and is now leasing them.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Since we havn't taken delivery of any Q400s I have a hard time believing we could lease any out. Didn't they belong to a company named Lynx or something? Unless Jazz bought them and is now leasing them.

airmech07
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airmech07 »

teacher wrote:Since we havn't taken delivery of any Q400s I have a hard time believing we could lease any out. Didn't they belong to a company named Lynx or something? Unless Jazz bought them and is now leasing them.
its possible i remember at work a while back they said we were getting some used ones..but i never heard anything in a memo about us leasing anything

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

If this is the case than I will be looking for empolyment elsewhere as it shows where are managements head truely is.

However, I also find it hard to believe considering that sky has had there aircraft in the AC colours since what November now.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

They are former LYNX aircraft (Frontier Express) that are subleased to SKY from Air Canada (or one of its subsidiaries). Chorus/Jazz is no longer an AC subsidiary.

TheSuit
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheSuit »

Why would Jazz sublease aircraft to a direct competitor instead of doing the flying? Whoever fact checked for this article needs to up their googling.

CANAM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CANAM »

Who owns Jazz's airframes? Air Canada may hold the title and then lease them to Jazz. This is the arrangement that ExpressJet has with Continental Airlines. Even if this isn't the case, I think it's clear that AC wants the same regional setup at in the US. That is, several regionals constantly negotiating for flying, which will result in lower costs for AC. Check out CommutAir's payscale and imagine the cost savings for AC. Just my guess, but as the CPA comes up for renewal, look for AC to put out a bid for Dash8 and CRJ flying to any 704/705 operators in Canada. I think it's very possible that in the near future, airlines like Air Tindi, Thunder Airlines, Provincial, ect. will be part of AC's regional affiliates operating as Air Canada Express. This is the M.O. in the US and represents major savings for AC. And at the end of the day, operating in an industry with extremely small margins of profit, it's all about savings.

Attachments
pay_commutair2006.gif
pay_commutair2006.gif (26.13 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Yup and it's sad and pathetic on multiple levels.

avagator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avagator »

I know Jazz is purchasing the Q400 themselves. As for the other aircraft I think some are leased and others are owned mostly by Jazz. I don't know that AC leases any aircraft... Perhaps some of the older RJ's. I would rather see Air Canada having to find a new way of saving pennies then pitting regionals against eachother. Good money, a great scedule, a pension, medical plan. There is a lot to loose in Canadian aviation if Jazz starts downsizing.
Speaking of ways to save money... Why do F/O's make 40 grad a year when secretaries at YVR are making 60. Why does the non profit YVR purchase other airports and continually build terminal buildings. Why don't the airlines refuse to pay the ridiculous landing fees. Whats about all the taxes airlines pay for gasoline ect ect. There would be ample savings to do away with a couple of percent of taxes.
I don't want to see any airline in canada reduce its workforce. I would hate to see captains making 60 grand a year when they should be making 120 just to save Air Canada money.
I don't think they are doing so poorly to ruin my livelyhood.

airmech07
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airmech07 »

Most of the aircraft that air canada owns with jazz are being returned. The q400s are solely owned by Jazz not anyone else.

STOLskunkworks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by STOLskunkworks »

Back to the original question.

The Toronto Island service Q400 aircraft are ex Frontier (Lynx Aviation) Aircraft.

They were leased by Air Canada I have heard for 10 years. They have then been subleased to Sky Regional Airlines aka "Air Canada Express" for 5 years, which is now also a registered trade name for them. (I imagine with Air Canada consent)

So no Jazz involvement at all.

As for the the other posts... Jazz is a great airline. However I think Air Canada should not be blasted for trying to get some competition going in the regional market. This is a move made out of necessity they have to do something to stay competitive.
If any of you want work done well your are going to go with the company that can do a good job for the lowest cost, thats just business.

As much as it may hurt for pilots this is a strictly business move aimed at remaining profitable. Because if they can't compete with the likes of Porter and Westjet or Colgan on the transborder routes then the flying dries up and you can bet that wont be good for Jazz either.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

Does Jazz eventually plan on replacing their older fleet (RJ's etc) with Q400's? If so by when? The RJ's are way too small...and uncomfortable.

yyz monkey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by yyz monkey »

They'll be flying Q400s by June.

The Theory of Flight - Because even after 100 years, we're still not sure it works!
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The 50 seat RJ's are awful to ride in. I think they start going back a few a time at the end of the year. 10 have already gone.

Let’s Go Brandon
ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

Yeah they are not the most comfy. I know you save a bit of time in them...but I'd personally rather have a nicer seat in the 400

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”