New Cathay Pacific Deal

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New Cathay Pacific Deal

Post by Speedalive »

wirez wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 am The pay has not improved. Your time as SO will likely be longer now that they’re crewing long haul flights with two SOs. HKPA is still $10000 or so, which will not even get you a village house in Tung Chung. The deal is okay if you’re a young pilot with 250hours, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone with a bit of experience. I’m flying in the region, so feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
I am one of those 250 hour pilots (well almost), but I feel like it would be good idea to have a little PIC time in a smaller 704/705 plane before hopping into the front seat of an A350. Would you be better off just going to AC/WS after, say, 3-4 years at a regional then? A lot of people I've talked to make Cathay seem like an amazing place to be and I've long considered it to be my ultimate career goal, but after reading this post and the endless posts on PPRUNE, I'm not so sure anymore. More than 4 years on their SO pay sounds rough. I had a look on a local real estate website and what you get for $10000-15000 HKD/month is kind of sad. Not to mention everything in general seems much more expensive. It does sound marginally better than being based in Vancouver on Jazz year 1 pay though and once you get to the FO payscale it doesn't seem so bad.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”