Porter almost grounded

Post by av8ts »

---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Porter almost grounded

Post by photofly »

Three passenger airlines — Porter, First Nations Transportation and Buffalo Airways Ltd. — also were issued notices of suspension, the statistics show.
Might have guessed who one of the others would be!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
aroundthewing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aroundthewing »

Will be interesting to see if this story appears in the CBC or G&M tomorrow. Any bets?? :wink:

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Wasn't Buffalo's issue documented on Ice Pilots? A vacant Flight Attendant Manager position, which they filled by schooling a rampie on how to pass the test/interview?

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Charter companies Execaire, Skyservice and Arctic Sunset also faced notices of suspension, but avoided being grounded by presenting adequate corrective action plans in response to their notices of suspension.

Five government-approved aircraft maintenance companies also presented adequate corrective plans to avoid certificate suspensions. They are: Goderich Aircraft Inc., Rapid Aircraft Repair Inc., Sky Harbour Aircraft, Springer Aerospace and AVEOS Performance.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/safety+compl ... z1b65LUADj

YQLRookie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YQLRookie »

This is quite the news! While I don't know the full situation of First Nations Transportation, they didn't seem to be a very modern company, as I saw a DC-3 and C46 rotting away at Gimli Aiport over the summer (ie. deflated tires, stuff like that). As for Porter, what could they possibly have done to get this brought onto themselves?

Tiny Tyke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiny Tyke »

AVEOS is on the list. Isn't that Air Canada...?????

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It was a paperwork issue.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

As for Porter, apparently TC had some sort of problem with our SMS manual four years ago. The required changes have long since been made and approved by TC.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

4 years ago this reporter might have had a story.

ILS26_Steep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ILS26_Steep »

Valhalla wrote:As for Porter, apparently TC had some sort of problem with our SMS manual four years ago. The required changes have long since been made and approved by TC.
An Porter's SMS system is still crap. The investigation process and implementation of a report is slow and a joke. They try to get the CP or OP on his time free from not doing his regularly scheduled in office/flying duties to go out and investigate.
I told them before. They got to get one guy to sit and specifically get paid to do strictly SMS report investigations, interviews with involved individuals and then come up with a plan of action to be presented at there regularly scheduled morning meetings were all management is in the same room and can approve of a new memo or notice or whatever. This they still haven't done yet!

Maybe someone in the office will read this and steal my idea! Which is ok cause its better than what they got!

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Porter's maintenance manual didn't align itself with the SMS. Big news folks. :roll:
(Reuters) - Porter Airlines said on Tuesday that no imminent safety issues were involved in an incident some four years ago when it received a warning from Transport Canada inspectors charged with implementing new air safety rules.
Rather, the incident involved a previously approved maintenance manual that the small, regional airline was required to bring more into line with the federal body's newly minted safety management system (SMS), Porter Chief Executive Robert Deluce said.

The issue arose "in the early stages of our development, at a time when we were struggling to understand the implication of SMS. Today SMS is much better understood," Deluce told Reuters.

He said Porter was the first scheduled airline in Canada required to be fully SMS-compliant as its launch coincided with the unveiling of the new rules. Much bigger rivals, Air Canada ACb.TO and WestJet Airlines (WJA.TO: Quote), were given two to three years to phase in the rules, he said.

Postmedia group, which owns the National Post newspaper, reported on Monday that Porter had in the past faced the threat of being grounded for failing to comply with Transport Canada's air safety rules. It did not give details of what the issue involved had been or when it had occurred.

Closely held Porter, which was launched nearly five years ago, flies to short-haul destinations in Eastern Canada and the United States from the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, which is located just minutes from the city's center.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

ILS26_Steep wrote:
Valhalla wrote:As for Porter, apparently TC had some sort of problem with our SMS manual four years ago. The required changes have long since been made and approved by TC.
An Porter's SMS system is still crap. The investigation process and implementation of a report is slow and a joke. They try to get the CP or OP on his time free from not doing his regularly scheduled in office/flying duties to go out and investigate.
I told them before. They got to get one guy to sit and specifically get paid to do strictly SMS report investigations, interviews with involved individuals and then come up with a plan of action to be presented at there regularly scheduled morning meetings were all management is in the same room and can approve of a new memo or notice or whatever. This they still haven't done yet!

Maybe someone in the office will read this and steal my idea! Which is ok cause its better than what they got!
Hey ILS26_Steep, does your currently employer - that other Q400 operator at the island - listen to your wonderful ideas?

ILS26_Steep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ILS26_Steep »

You Betcha!

stupido
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stupido »

ILS26_Steep wrote:You Betcha!
Hey D.boy......God helps us all!!!!! :goodman:

aroundthewing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aroundthewing »

aroundthewing wrote:Will be interesting to see if this story appears in the CBC or G&M tomorrow. Any bets?? :wink:
LOL...nobody wanted to lose money!! :D

atlanticflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atlanticflyer »

stupido wrote:
Hey Valhalla and Stupido, why dont you guys relax.....I'm D.B.H and I'm NOT ILS 26 Steep.....man oh man!
(P.S Thanks for automatically assuming that was me... :x )

And stupido, I think youre the one who may need help...

Later Boys

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

atlanticflyer wrote:
stupido wrote:
Hey Valhalla and Stupido, why dont you guys relax.....I'm D.B.H and I'm NOT ILS 26 Steep.....man oh man!
(P.S Thanks for automatically assuming that was me... :x )

And stupido, I think youre the one who may need help...

Later Boys
:lol:

You know, not to perpetuate this thread, but Westjet was grounded during their first year of operations for two weeks. This kind of enforcement by Transport may be argued both ways, but at the end of the day Westjet has proved themselves quite capable - as Porter has too.

Journalists are older versions of highschool gossipmakers, out to prop themselves up by talking about something they know nothing about.

As for the SMS system we have Steep, at least every single SMS is viewable by everyone in our company - from day one; and while a correction toward low risk occurrences may take longer than high risk (as it would similar to hospital triage) we all have the ability to become aware and plan accordingly.

CCR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CCR »

WestJet has never been grounded by TC.

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

CCR wrote:WestJet has never been grounded by TC.
You are correct sir, my humble apologies:

Westjet voluntarily grounded their fleet upon the threat that TC would ground the airline if not in compliance within 15 days...

My example wasn't meant to single out Westjet; it was to demonstrate TC's history of impending suspensions!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”