licence and medical when interviewing

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

licence and medical when interviewing

Post by BE20 Driver »

I had a conversation with a buddy recently. When a company asks you to bring your license and medical to an interview, what are they looking for?

It's my understanding that they can't call transport and do a search for accidents, incidents, violations, suspensions etc. - that is considered a privacy issue. I assume they are just checking to see that you have one but I have been to an AC interview, and I believe they take a photocopy which makes me wonder why.

Anyone with some hiring experience have any insight into this one?
---------- ADS -----------

ivtec
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: licence and medical when interviewing

Post by ivtec »

Edit

Last edited by ivtec on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

That's more or less what I was saying. He figured it was to make some sort of background check and I don't think you can do that sort of thing in Canada.

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

Transport will not release any information on accidents to a prospective employer. Firstly they don't track them and second it is a privacy issue. An employer can request a criminal background check from several sources, it will show information in the system.
Having been involved in hiring pilots I would like to see that you have the licence you said you have and also the medical to ensure you are employable. Nothing sinister involved at all.

old fart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by old fart »

Wasn't there a pilot at WestJet pilot who had faked his ATPL? Much harder to do now with the new Licence booklet.
When a company asks for licence and medical, they just want to make sure you have both and they are valid. TC will not release any personal information to a company. They will only release it to the individual. For example, if you need a letter for a potential employer validating that you have no accidents or incidents, or even validity of any documents, or exam results - the letter is only given to the pilot - never to a company. It is then the pilot who can now provide the letter to the employer.

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

Nothing sinister.. and regards to a photocopy of said licence/medical, most companies do this for the HR files.. I'm at Jazz, and everything is photocopied to HR: passport renewals, medicals (sent by the Dr. in my case), RAIC card renewals, training GRS/PPC renewals, etc. Everything is on file so that they know I am valid at all times.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Employers can ask that as a condition of employment, you sign an authorization for them to review your TC files.

old fart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by old fart »

They can ask for authorization to view your file. You can sign an authorization, but TC will not release any information to them. TC will only release information directly to the individual. This information would normally be in the form of a letter. Certain overseas carriers request "no accident, no incident" letters or confirmation of medical validity, type ratings, licence and even exam marks. This letter is only given to the pilot, not a potential employer or even current employer.
Your information is confidential unless you request it or if TC needs to use it for a valid purpose such as accident or incident investigation or if TC is considering hiring you, then they do have access to your information.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”