Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

MikeLima
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sky Regional and Embraer jobs

Post by MikeLima »

Hi folks

Any idea how Sky Regional will crew the Embraers considering that most of the E-175 pilots from Air Canada will remain in the company? Also, how is this going to affect the pilot job market particularly in YUL?
Thanks

MikeLima
---------- ADS -----------

Flap_Operator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sky Regional and Embraer jobs

Post by Flap_Operator »

MikeLima wrote:Hi folks

Any idea how Sky Regional will crew the Embraers considering that most of the E-175 pilots from Air Canada will remain in the company? Also, how is this going to affect the pilot job market particularly in YUL?
Thanks

MikeLima
Well they will definately have a few AC pilots go over at first and fly for the new guys' line indoc. Once they got the line indocs done I can imagine that companie like Pascan in Quebec and 704 operators in Ontario like Georgian will probably loose some guys for Skyregional. Maybe a few guys at skyregional who have been there since the beggining might be looking to upgrade, so that would be openings on the Q400 also.
I'm curious to know how many crews they will need per E-175. 2.5 - 4? so it all depends... that would mean anywhere between 35-60 pilots. They wont be short of resumés im pretty sure :P ... It will definately create some movement at the lower levels. Its a good thing.

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by altiplano »

Its a good thing.
Out to lunch.

Flap_Operator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flap_Operator »

altiplano wrote:
Its a good thing.
Out to lunch.
Well for the lower levels...supply and demand.... If the small carriers want to keep their guys from going to skyregional, they'll have to throw them something.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Well they won't have to throw very much at them, there are plenty of 704 jobs paying 60,000 plus for left seat. There was an ad not long ago for Saab 340 captain 75,000/yr. Now Scab regional is going to pay 70,000 for 75 pax jet Captain, absolutely disgusting....
Problem is, there will a line up of Pilots willing to do it.

indieadventurer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by indieadventurer »

mbav8r wrote:Well they won't have to throw very much at them, there are plenty of 704 jobs paying 60,000 plus for left seat. There was an ad not long ago for Saab 340 captain 75,000/yr. Now Scab regional is going to pay 70,000 for 75 pax jet Captain, absolutely disgusting....
Problem is, there will a line up of Pilots willing to do it.
+1

I would love to see this stopped dead in its tracks now by ALL pilots (captains and fos) agreeing to refuse to fly a 75 pax jet at 70k and 35k, respectively (if that's what it really is). If we don't do it now, when?

But I know how this'll unfold.... :(

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Well everyone knows who let Sky regional in the open....

That same group should fight this all the way....but I highly doubt it will happen.

Last edited by Mig29 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Down the drain..

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

It really wasn't that long ago that guys were paying to fly jets (JETSGO)...

TheStig
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TheStig »

Flap_Operator wrote:
MikeLima wrote:Hi folks

Thanks

MikeLima
Well they will definately have a few AC pilots go over at first and fly for the new guys' line indoc. Once they got the line indocs done I can imagine that companie like Pascan in Quebec and 704 operators in Ontario like Georgian will probably loose some guys for Skyregional. Maybe a few guys at skyregional who have been there since the beggining might be looking to upgrade, so that would be openings on the Q400 also.
I'm curious to know how many crews they will need per E-175. 2.5 - 4? so it all depends... that would mean anywhere between 35-60 pilots. They wont be short of resumés im pretty sure :P ... It will definately create some movement at the lower levels. Its a good thing.
Only somebody currently at SR or an investor would consider this to be a good thing. The term 'Scab Regional' is completely unfair and doesn't do us (pilots) any good. ACPA should look to represent SR's pilots.

For what its worth here are some numbers, there are currently almost 650 pilots on the EMJ at AC with 60 aircraft, that's 10.8 pilots per aircraft or over 5 crews per.

All that is happening here is the removal of 160 mainline jobs being filled by pilots who will fly the aircraft for less money, benefits and pension. It's easy to see why the share price is up roughly 50% since the contract was imposed on Air Canada's pilots.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Just to play devil's advocate, the first year Jazz captain wage is $78/hr and AC is, at least, until recently, paying first year FO's $35k/yr.

The problem with this industry isn't the wages: it's the fact that a new company can start up and pay everyone at first year rates. Because of the huge disparity/progression in wages in the airlines, new airlines enjoy a huge advantage.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Flap_Operator wrote:
altiplano wrote:
Its a good thing.
Out to lunch.
Well for the lower levels...supply and demand.... If the small carriers want to keep their guys from going to skyregional, they'll have to throw them something.
Short sighted, and out to a 4 martini lunch.

Having said that, there's nothing that can be done about it. There will always be people lined up at the door to fly en EMJ, even if they have to pay for it. That's why I never wanted to be part of the big airline business. It has become an absolute snake pit where there is no intrinsic value put on employee skills, experience, or loyalty.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

yeah but Jazz has a payscale that increases 8)

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

10 years from now we will be talking about a new company taking SkyRegionals EMB 175 business, and how they are about bunch of scabs etc.

Aviation is cyclical, the pilots that jump ship, will have a good ride for awhile then the costs at Sky will be too high to bid a price AC is willing to pay. At that point a new company will come onto the scene doing some regional flying for AC and we start all over again.

I fully expect that within five years their will be at least 4 maybe 5 companies doing the Tier II "regional" flying for Air Canada maybe WestJet Encore will be one of them.

Flap_Operator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flap_Operator »

Bede wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, the first year Jazz captain wage is $78/hr and AC is, at least, until recently, paying first year FO's $35k/yr.

The problem with this industry isn't the wages: it's the fact that a new company can start up and pay everyone at first year rates. Because of the huge disparity/progression in wages in the airlines, new airlines enjoy a huge advantage.
Agreed
proper wrote:yeah but Jazz has a payscale that increases 8)
Give SR time to get settled and i'm sure they'll have a payscale in no time!

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Oh they'll have a pay scale but where will it start, where will it top out? What will there benefits be? How much will they pay in per diems? What kind of scheduling rules will they have? I'm sure the answer will be no where near what we have at Jazz. Of course this gives us a big bulls eye on our back in this business which is kinda said that one cannot enjoy a half decent life before it gets taken away and given to the lowest bidder at half the price.

V1VRV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1VRV2 »

Teacher !

Isn't it what Jazz did when they took the RJ's from AC bid to do it at a lower cost !! So don't complain when all of a sudden you have competition.
Aviation in Canada is a cut throat business pretty much the same as everywhere else in the world its greedy Management looking for the highest return for the least expense. That's why most Airlines have a disgruntled work force and usually a fat management pay package until they go bankrupt.

Its up to us the Aircrews to look after ourselves, demand higher pay for more complex equipment no one will do it for us. We need to stick together and or shut up and deal with it.

That's why I left the job market in Canada and went overseas, too much crap here. Anyways good luck to all who end up flying for a feeder airline as the Mainline degrades their pay and working conditions you all pay for it , it might seem your getting a promotion to fly an EMB 170 or whatever but someday you may be on the B scale at AC think about it before you accept or worse pay to work there.

Good luck to all
The root cause is the employer knows we all enjoy our job , and uses it against us !! what a spot to be in.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Because the pilots at Jazz had a choice as to where those airplanes went. Don't forget it was AC that initially stole the CRJs from Nova and altered the course of several companies when they bought and merged the regionals but that's a story for another thread.

Regardless our WACON at Jazz far out weighs the one at SKY and in some areas it's better than mainline.

I'm no stranger to capitalism just stating the obvious in my previous post.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

The step forward now is to fix/mitigate the situation, rather then beat our heads in the wall and cry about it.

ACPA should be sending their people over there, since it was the one who gave the "green light" to Calin R. to establish a non-unionized airline on their own turf. If the reason was to retaliate for Jazz's Thomas Cook operation of a "mighty" fleet of six 757's then I do wonder who short sighted can we be as pilots.

But as I said, no point blaming anyone at this point....hope for the best that things will improve and be more positive in 2013.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

Can someone pls post pilot pay/block hours etc per month for the dash Q? My brother is trying to gather some info for applying and just wants to do his homework.

Thanks

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”