Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: Sulako, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

sammyhusk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pilot layovers

Post by sammyhusk »

Dear Flight Crews:
What do you look for when it comes to choosing a place to stay when your base city is not your home city? How much would you be willing to pay per night? What kind of comforts do you look for? I ask because I have a house veey close to the Ottawa airport that I am thinking of renting out to flight crews.
---------- ADS -----------

Disco Stu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pilot layovers

Post by Disco Stu »

sammyhusk wrote:Dear Flight Crews:
What do you look for when it comes to choosing a place to stay when your base city is not your home city? How much would you be willing to pay per night? What kind of comforts do you look for? I ask because I have a house veey close to the Ottawa airport that I am thinking of renting out to flight crews.
You might rent it to commuters, if there even is anyone that commutes to YOW.

When airlines look for layover accommodations they look for HOTELS.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Sounds like what you are trying to do is rent to crew members individually, who are based in the local area. This, in industry parlance, is known as a "Crash Pad."

Not surprisingly, what tenant looks for is probably opposite of what the landlord wants to do. Here is what I would like to see (somewhat tongue in cheek):

1) Dirt cheap accomidation- not more than a couple hundred dollars a month.
2) My own room.
3) Jacuzzi and Sauna on the premises.
4) Ample fridge space for my own chow and a fully-equipped kitchen.
5) Wifi.
6) Walking distance (even in winter) to the airport.
7) A nice selection of restaurants and watering holes also within walking distance.
8) Parks and gyms close by.
9) Occasional maid service to clean up the mess that nobody claims.
10) Satellite TV.

Having said that, I many crash pads tend to cram as many beds into a room as they can; one I saw reminded me of the barracks at Air Cadets Summer Camp. The benefit of this is that it makes the rent price really low to the individual pilot, but the number of renters makes the income to the landlord quite high compared to what such a unit would usually go for. All of them which I have visited or lived at were owned by airline pilots; the benefit is that they can keep a close eye on what the market price is and advertise internally.

morningwood
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by morningwood »

sammyhusk, please post or pm me the details of the house.
I may know someone who is interested.
Thank you

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”