Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Sky Regional Pilot Contract

Post by Bede »

Here it is.

The Good:
1) Seniority is based on experience. I actually really like this system and think all airlines should do this. I'm against the seniority system because it affects labour mobility and ties employees to their employers who can abuse them because they know employees won't leave.
2) $40 if you don't need your hotel.

The Bad:
1) No day off guarantee?? WTF No Schduling rules?
2) No payscale with time
3) Residence requirements - obviously so they can call you in on a day off. I assume this means you have no freedom if you want to go somewhere on your days off.
4) You need to own a computer and cell phone

The Ugly:
1) Pay is bad, but gets worse. You don't get all your hourly pay until the end of the year. If you quit, you don't get the balance. I'm pretty sure this is illegal.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
SKY REGIONAL - TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT OCT 2012 copy.pdf
(616.53 KiB) Downloaded 2416 times
NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sky Regional Pilot Contract

Post by NAT2 »

Best of luck to them.

Last edited by NAT2 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

Bede, I think you may have to look at it again.

Minimum Guarantee
In addition to annual base salary, a Pilot who is available for the whole year shall be paid for a minimum of
680 Flight Credits per year. Any shortfall shall be made up by the Company at year end. A Pilot who leaves
the Company during the course of the year shall not be entitled to any shortfall.

The way I read that, if you leave during the year with less than 680 flight credits, they won't pay you the the difference or shortfall. If you stay the entire year, they guarantee a minimum of 680 flight credits. It doesn't say they you have to wait a year to get your flight credit pay.

Still a sucky deal though.

Dilbert Pickles
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dilbert Pickles »

Heard they're considering hiring foreign pilots because they can't find applicants here...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

The sad part is, I could actually see this happening. With such piss poor conditions, who in their right mind would work there? I believe their original start up date was for Jan 1st, but because of poor response to pilot hiring has been pushed until March. They're desperately calling pilots asking them to reconsider, but are not offering anything more...
These plugs are going to thrive on pilots who are probably experiencing tough economic times with a company layoff or bankruptcy. Who have mortgages to pay and hungry families to feed. Lets hope they stay where they deserve- on the ground!

DP

sluggo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sluggo »

Bede wrote:Here it is.

The Good:
1) Seniority is based on experience. I actually really like this system and think all airlines should do this. I'm against the seniority system because it affects labour mobility and ties employees to their employers who can abuse them because they know employees won't leave.
2) $40 if you don't need your hotel.

The Bad:
1) No day off guarantee?? WTF No Schduling rules?
2) No payscale with time
3) Residence requirements - obviously so they can call you in on a day off. I assume this means you have no freedom if you want to go somewhere on your days off.
4) You need to own a computer and cell phone

The Ugly:
1) Pay is bad, but gets worse. You don't get all your hourly pay until the end of the year. If you quit, you don't get the balance. I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

From what I have heard there are still things to be ironed out before the airline can enjoy success. It's pretty apparent that it has the better part of the road ahead of itself to mature. As is, what the guys actually get at the end of the day is better than the way the agreement reads. The TOE seems to describe a "worst case". I know of a couple of captains who near double the amount of their base-pay. For clarity on your points, Bede:

Bad?

- Days off - 10 guaranteed/ mo, although you are at home more than this with very few overnights to date

- Scheduling - They are apparently getting a system similar to FLICA in the new year

- Payscale - ... TBA? Don't know.

- Days off - The only time they can nab you for work is on a standby or while on reserve. You can go anywhere in the world you want on days off on AC/STAR alliance/ZED fare passes.

- Computer/cell phone - It does require you to have these but most people need these anyway. If a company includes this in the TOE then you should be able to include these costs when you file your taxes?

Ugly?

- The pay is currently lower than average. Yup.

- You get your hourly pay and any extra credits at the end of each month.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Cap't Tripps,

I read it a bunch of times and can't quite figure it out 100%. On second reading, I think it's not quite as bad, but still pathetic. Let's say you work 50 hrs/month (the only reason the min credit is so low is so they can work you as little as they want). As a captain, you're making $3817/mo. After 10 months of work you quit. Min credit would be 567 hours (680/12*10), but you've only flown 500 hours. You should be getting $1541 (567-500*23). Instead you get nothing. Clever retention bonus.

It seems like a strange compensation strategy. Usually, if company's want to avoid a union drive, they pay reasonably well (WJ, Honda, Toyota). If they don't mind a union, they low ball at the beginning and consider a union the cost of doing business. The way it looks, they don't mind a union drive starting day 1.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

sluggo,

I'm glad things are better than the contract, but those things should be in the contract. Sure they guarantee 10 days off/month now, but they left that stuff out for a reason- so they can unilaterally change it.

Seems too bush league for me. I had contracts like that when I started flying, but I was flying a Navajo North of 60.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Should be like that everywhere! The number one problem with our industry an why we as a profession will never move forward until this changes.

Although come to think of it that portion of their contract is probably to entice retired AC folks to come over and keep a good schedule ;)

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

Don't you have to pay for part of your parking pass at the airport as well...?

T.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

sluggo wrote:I know of a couple of captains who near double the amount of their base-pay.
This always amuses me. People flying their asses off, picking up as much opentime/overtime as they can, and thereby "doubling" their pay does not equal good pay. This equals sacrifice of QOL for some extra bucks. Looking at it any other way is a misinterpretation of reality.
sluggo wrote: For clarity on your points, Bede:

Bad?

- Days off - 10 guaranteed/ mo, although you are at home more than this with very few overnights to date
Worse than any US regional operating equivalent equipment.
sluggo wrote: - Scheduling - They are apparently getting a system similar to FLICA in the new year
Really has almost zero effect on QOL. Flica is only as useful as the parameters the company enters into it. With no clear scheduling language I cannot see why Flica or no Flica is even worth mentioning.
sluggo wrote: - Payscale - ... TBA? Don't know.
Edited. I misunderstood the language. It will be very interesting to see what it becomes. By the way, when exactly do you guys expect the pay scales to be announced?
sluggo wrote: - Days off - The only time they can nab you for work is on a standby or while on reserve. You can go anywhere in the world you want on days off on AC/STAR alliance/ZED fare passes.
I see no language prohibiting junior-manning. Hopefully you won't learn what that is.

AC travel bennies and Zeds sound great, but wait to see your priority...
sluggo wrote: - Computer/cell phone - It does require you to have these but most people need these anyway. If a company includes this in the TOE then you should be able to include these costs when you file your taxes?
If they require you to have these items, then they should be at least partially compensating you for them.
sluggo wrote: Ugly?

- The pay is currently lower than average. Yup.

- You get your hourly pay and any extra credits at the end of each month.
Yes. Ugly. Jazz should prepare to be raped because there is no way they will be able to outbid Sky when their service agreement comes up.

Very sad indicators for the industry going forward.

Last edited by Takeoff OK on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

teacher wrote:
Should be like that everywhere! The number one problem with our industry an why we as a profession will never move forward until this changes.

Although come to think of it that portion of their contract is probably to entice retired AC folks to come over and keep a good schedule ;)
I would agree with you if everyone else had the same seniority policy. They don't, so all this does is screw people who don't play the company's game. I suspect you're correct as to enticing AC folks, and this should be the first item eliminated in Sky's future unionized contract talks.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I hope Encore has taken notice and will pay better than Sky Regional. Otherwise they will also have a problem attracting suitable candidates.

snowball
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowball »

The pilots who agree to that TOE should hang their heads in shame. Seriously. Please don't even respond with a defense if you are and employee. There is no reasonable argument to accept those conditions.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

flyer 1492 wrote:I hope Encore has taken notice and will pay better than Sky Regional. Otherwise they will also have a problem attracting suitable candidates.
The problem isn't really the pay, it's the entire package. First year of Jazz is only slightly better, it's just that with Jazz, you get much more ie pension, etc.

WJE pay will sadly be similar to SR, but again, it's there there will be plenty of extra's to make the pay short term and and palatable ie ESP, flow through, etc. WJE won't have a problem finding high time guys at all. One rumour I heard is that once has been WJE up and running, for a bit WJ will take 100% of the guys from WJE. It will be the only way to the mainline- the way it should be IMHO.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Bede wrote: One rumour I heard is that once has been WJE up and running, for a bit WJ will take 100% of the guys from WJE. It will be the only way to the mainline- the way it should be IMHO.
Really Bede? You think %100 of mainline employees should come from WJE? So someone who is awesome, would be the perfect fit at mainline but has a great job will have to quit that job and take something similar to SR in order to get on at mainline? Come on, that doesn't make sense. You did say WJE was going to be similar pay scale to SR right?

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

And just how does WJE build a cadre of experience to get the new airline up running when guys will bail on WJE for the mainline ? Encore will be like a revolving door for pilots, similar to what happened 10-15 years ago at the Air Canada commuters.

What is the incentive for experienced pilots to join WJE other than the chance to get on with WJ asap ? Hopefully the total package will be closer to Jazz than to SR :roll:

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

"go for career"
- hmmmm was looking for the sodomized smilee... can't find one....seems fitting.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Bede wrote:The Good:
teacher wrote: Should be like that everywhere! The number one problem with our industry an why we as a profession will never move forward until this changes.

Not trying to pick a fight, just having a (civil) discussion here. Bede, you used to work for Jazz if I remember? Teacher, you work there still, right?

ALPA gives those two books about history of ALPA to its new hires? I know that it's not as sexy as browsing through Sports Illustrated or FHM magazine :wink: , but have you read the stories that airline pilots in early 1930s and 40s had to put up with if they didn't have a seniority based system. And you want to go back to that stone age?

Disclaimer: I totally agree and understand how some people ruin it for other, but it's a much smaller evil then if we went to the company's preferred seniority based system.

As for the rest of their contract, I truly hope Encore will be a better example. I truly hope...

sstocker31
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sstocker31 »

Man....this industry is going to hell in a handbasket

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

sstocker31 wrote:Man....this industry is going to hell in a handbasket
Yep, so what are we going to do about it? Oh just a minute, we will justify to everyone how we keep degrading this industry. IE Sky Regional. Oh but we have to put food on the table. Sorry but Borek will put your food on the table and then some.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”