Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Why Sunwing's and Canjet's FLVC are illegal

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

CD wrote:Gilles...

Just an observation, but you have now edited your initial post in this thread 16 times:
Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 am, edited 16 times in total.
By constantly changing what you had originally written, it makes it difficult to know which of the subsequent responses from other members related to which version of your post. While I recognize that sometimes we all have to go back and modify something that we have written (spelling, grammar, etc.), there is no way for new readers to know what your intial post said or to have confidence that the changes you have subsequently made haven't changed the sense of the original post.

If you do make additional changes, could you please describe what those changes were?

Merci !
o

I wrote this on the fly in my hotel room in Toronto before a flight without proofreading. Then I am a francophone and English is a second language. Probably a dozen of the edits were grammar and typo related. The only real edit was the new beginning that explains the foreign pilot issue and that someone suggest I add to explain the general context. The original post began where at the paragraph that begins "While I was researching......"

Other than adding that contextual introduction for the benefit of readers that have not been following this issue from the beginning. Everything below the original beginning is as it was.
---------- ADS -----------

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

And I suspect that once again the wolf pack is going to invest a lot of effort I to trying to discredit my person rather than try to argue my message based on the interpretation of the CARs. They have no other option. The CARs have no other possible interpretation that I am aware of.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

All these clowns deserve to be grounded as of this morning.....
Gilles, again thank you, I read the above statement a few times and I interpret it two ways. One a general statement and two, they got what they deserve. Has something happened that hasn't hit the news rooms yet?

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Gilles what I am saying is this. Your confusing foreign pilots coming to Canada to stay (licence conversion) and those coming for a short period (licence validation) Your original premise is wrong.

RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

The intent of a rule is worthless. It is the interpretation that would be upheld in court. So with 421.07(j) the door is wide open for whatever excuses they want to use to have FLVCs issued. I am not a lawyer, but the way I read is 705.106 is that it allows pilots with foreign licenses to fly without an FLVC in special cases like training when new types are introduced to Canada and there ade no qualified Canadian pilots available. Once your license is validated, aren't you then effectively in possession of a Canadian CPL or ATPL for the period stipulated on the validation?

Transport Canada's mandate is safety and not how many skilled or unskilled workers come to Canada seasonally or permanently. Have you had an aviation lawyer interpret the regs you are questioning?
Is this an aviation safety issue or an HR/immigration issue? I commend your efforts but don't think taking the approach that what TC is doing is illegal will get you very far. Why? To much grey. Sadly your best hope might to push for changes to the rules if you insist on pursuing TC, and if successful you are looking at 5-7 years.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Transport Canada's mandate is safety and not how many skilled or unskilled workers come to Canada seasonally or permanently.
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

. . wrote:
Transport Canada's mandate is safety and not how many skilled or unskilled workers come to Canada seasonally or permanently.
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045

My question to you yet again , from the F35 thread.

Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with you is unfit to work in this industry? The first thing to come out of you in a defence is hours flown . As if it's some sort of undignified blasphemy to question anything you present. I personally cannot challenge you via hours nor do I claim to know more about certain things. As a matter of fact, I think it would be fun to have my ass handed to me by you during a lesson. I'm sure I could learn something. But besides all that...

When can someone ever disagree with you on virtually everything and remain credible?
I guess the answer is, they can't.

RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

. . wrote:
I knew that would be your reaction before I even finished typing it .. I wrote that it is their mandate. I did not say whether I think it is being upheld or not. It is not TC's job to determine who are entitled to work in Canada or not. It is not TC's job to tell Sunwing and Canjet they have to many foreign pilots flying for them. You would have to put forth evidence that it is an unsafe practice for TC to get involved. That would be a tough sell as I would argue that European Licensing Standards are at the very least equivalent to the ones we have in Canada.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

RogerCheckCopy wrote:
. . wrote:
I knew that would be your reaction before I even finished typing it .. I wrote that it is their mandate. I did not say whether I think it is being upheld or not. It is not TC's job to determine who are entitled to work in Canada or not. It is not TC's job to tell Sunwing and Canjet they have to many foreign pilots flying for them. You would have to put forth evidence that it is an unsafe practice for TC to get involved. That would be a tough sell as I would argue that European Licensing Standards are at the very least equivalent to the ones we have in Canada.
Transport's role is to uphold the CARs. Whatever they are.

RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

[/quote]

I knew that would be your reaction before I even finished typing it .. I wrote that it is their mandate. I did not say whether I think it is being upheld or not. It is not TC's job to determine who are entitled to work in Canada or not. It is not TC's job to tell Sunwing and Canjet they have to many foreign pilots flying for them. You would have to put forth evidence that it is an unsafe practice for TC to get involved. That would be a tough sell as I would argue that European Licensing Standards are at the very least equivalent to the ones we have in Canada.[/quote]

Transport's role is to uphold the CARs. Whatever they are.[/quote]

True. The general idea behind the CARs is safer air travel for the Canadian public even if not all rules can be directly related to it. I don't like the idea of hundreds of foreign pilots here every winter any more than the next guy. I am just stating MY opinion, which is that it would be tough for TC to say no to issue FLVCs when someone presents their case and application under 421.07(j). Just like TC needs a valid reason to suspend a document, they need a valid reason not to issue one.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

My reason for posting the rolling laughing similes was simple.

Transports mandate is to avoid any possible accountability at any level, the main objective is to end up with an excellent pension after they retire and then double dip in the industry using their former background as collateral.

The CAR's were written so complex with so many subsections that not even lawyers can interpret them .....they were written to be flexible.

However I could be wrong that is for sure.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

. . wrote:My reason for posting the rolling laughing similes was simple.

Transports mandate is to avoid any possible accountability at any level, the main objective is to end up with an excellent pension after they retire and then double dip in the industry using their former background as collateral.

The CAR's were written so complex with so many subsections that not even lawyers can interpret them .....they were written to be flexible.

However I could be wrong that is for sure.

Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with you is unfit to work in this industry? The first thing to come out of you in a defence is hours flown . As if it's some sort of undignified blasphemy to question anything you present. I personally cannot challenge you via hours nor do I claim to know more about certain things. As a matter of fact, I think it would be fun to have my ass handed to me by you during a lesson. I'm sure I could learn something. But besides all that...

When can someone ever disagree with you on virtually everything and remain credible?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Some people who have posted comments here do not understand the issue or have not read the original post entirely. I know its long. So for these people here is the short version.

I will number my arguments for clarity. The CARs are in quotes.

1)
Pilot Qualifications

705.106 (1) Subject to subsection (3), no air operator shall permit a person to act and no person shall act as the pilot-in-command, second-in-command or cruise relief pilot of an aircraft unless the person

(a) holds the licence, ratings and endorsements required by Part IV;
To fly as pilots for a 705 operator, you need to have a licence, ratings and endorsements required by Part IV.

2)
Foreign licensed pilots do not hold a license, rating or endorsement required in Part IV. So in effect this clause says that foreign pilots are not allowed to fly for 705 operators.

in 1) above it said that this was subject to subsection (3). Here it is:
(3) An air operator may permit a person to act and a person may act as the pilot-in-command or second-in-command of an aircraft where the person does not meet the requirements of subsection (1), if

(a) the aircraft is operated on a training, ferry or positioning flight; or

(b) the air operator

(i) is authorized to do so in its air operator certificate, and

(ii) complies with the Commercial Air Service Standards.
4)
This subsection allows people not qualified according to Part IV, ie foreign licensed pilots, to fly training flights, ferry flights or positioning flights.

OR

If the operator is so authorized in his operator certificate, the pilots who do not have licenses, ratings and endorsements as required in Part IV can do other things that are written in the standard. So we must move on the the standard to find out what that is.

5)
725.106 Pilot Qualifications
725.106 (6) Use of a Person not Qualified in Accordance with the Canadian Aviation Regulations to Act as Pilot-in-Command or Second-in-Command (refers to subparagraph 705.106(3)(b)(ii) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations)

Authority may be given for other than an air operator employee pilot to occupy a flight crew seat when training, conducting line indoctrination training, and while the first air operator flight crews are completing consolidation and crew pairing minimum flight time requirements on a new aeroplane type.

The pilot shall:

(a) provide a resume, proof of background on the type of aeroplane, and recent experience appropriate to the training to be given; and

(b) hold the appropriate licence, ratings and endorsements. Where the pilot holds a foreign pilot licence, the licence and (as applicable) the instrument rating shall be validated by Transport Canada - Civil Aviation.

The pilot may be authorized to conduct pilot checks provided the requirements of the Company Check Pilot Manual (TP6533) are met with the exception of the minimum employment time with the air operator.

A foreign licensed pilot may be granted authority for training and checking only when a Canadian licensed pilot is not available.

During revenue flights foreign licensed pilots shall not replace Canadian licensed pilots. They can act as qualified pilot in replacement of a training pilot where the training pilot is authorized to occupy the jump seat for the purpose of crew pairing requirements (section 725.108) or transition line indoctrination (subsection 725.124(33)).
6)
And here it says that a pilots not qualified according to Part IV can do line checks (line indoctrination) when a company has introduced a new aircraft type and a Canadian licensed pilot is not available, but in no case shall such a pilot be used for revenue flights (beyond line indoc.)

It further specifies that is such pilots are to be used, they must have a FLVC issued by TC. Now we can go loot at 401.07

7)
401.07 (1) Subject to section 6.71 of the Act, if the holder of a foreign flight crew licence issued by a contracting state other than Canada meets the applicable requirements set out in the personnel licensing standards and does not reside in Canada, the Minister shall, on receipt of an application submitted in the form and manner set out in those standards, issue a foreign licence validation certificate to the holder of the licence.

(2) The Minister shall, in accordance with the personnel licensing standards, specify in a foreign licence validation certificate the privileges that may be exercised by the holder of the certificate.
8 )
It says that if you don't live in Canada that you can have a FLVC on the conditions set by the standard. Let's look at the standard.

9)
(1) Issue of Foreign Licence Validation Certificate

(a) A Foreign Licence Validation Certificate shall be issued to an applicant who provides the following:

(i) a foreign licence valid under the laws of a contracting state and valid for the privileges requested; and

(ii) a letter requesting issue of the Foreign Licence Validation Certificate and specifying the purpose for which the foreign licence is to be validated.

(b) The Foreign Licence Validation Certificate shall normally be issued for a period of one year from the date of issue. A shorter period may be granted upon the applicant’s request.

(c) If the medical validity period of the licence issued by a contracting state other than Canada is longer than the ICAO standard, the validation shall be limited to Canadian airspace.

(2) Purposes For Which Foreign Licence Validation Certificates May Be Issued

(a) for the holder to undergo a flight test;

(b) for private recreational flying;

(c) for ferry of an aircraft registered in Canada to or from a foreign country;

(d) for the holder to give type rating training on an aircraft registered in Canada to the registered owner, or to Canadian flight crew employed by the registered owner;

(e) for the holder to receive training in a Canadian registered aircraft;

(f) for operation of aircraft registered in a foreign state under the operating certificate of a Canadian carrier provided that the privileges are limited to the type of aircraft being operated;

(g) for operation of Canadian aircraft on Canadian commercial air services in urgent circumstances; such as fire suppression operations, emergency agricultural and forestry aerial application, airlift in relief of domestic natural disasters, and search and rescue operations;

(h) for commercial air services operated entirely within a foreign country where pilots holding a licence from that country may have their licence validated for operation of Canadian registered aircraft in that country;

(i) for the operation of aircraft registered in Canada on lease to foreign carriers;

(j) for reasons other than those mentioned above where approval may be given if, in the opinion of the Minister, it is in the public interest and not likely to affect aviation safety.
10)
421.07 (1) (a) (ii) states that a FLVC is issued when the applicant states for what purpose the FLVC is requested. The list of valid purposes is listed in 421.07 (2). Flying the line commercially is not listed.

11)
You will note, on the otehr hand, that all purposes listed in 705.106 and 725.106 (6) are listed in 421.07 (2)

Ferry and positioning flights are authorized by 421.07 (2) (c)
Training flights can be either of 421.07 (2) (a), (d) or (e).

12)
The list is purposely limited in nature. 401.07 is under Part IV and includes all types of flying from recreational to airlines.

13)
421.07(2)(j) provide some latitude to the Minister to authorize the use for purposes not listed here, but a regulation under the General PArt IV can never possibly trump a Restriction written in Prrt VII for airline use. Something that is prohibited specifically in PART VII operations can never be authorized by a Part IV regulation. It's like if

14)
The same prohibitions for foreign licensed pilots exist as well for 703 and 704 operations, Air Taxi and Commuters. They are found in CARs 703.88 and 704.108.

15)
Foreign licensed pilots are not to be allowed as line pilots for any of the above commercial operation in Canada. Ever!

16)
401.03(1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall act as a flight crew member or exercise the privileges of a flight crew permit, licence or rating unless

(a) the person holds the appropriate permit, licence or rating;

(b) the permit, licence or rating is valid;

(c) the person holds the appropriate medical certificate; and

(d) the person can produce the permit, licence or rating, and the certificate, when exercising those privileges.

(1.1) No person shall exercise the privileges of a foreign licence validation certificate unless the person

(a) holds the appropriate foreign licence validation certificate;

(b) has signed the certificate; and

(c) can produce the certificate when exercising those privileges.

(2) A person who holds a military flight crew permit, licence or rating or a flight crew permit, licence or rating issued by a contracting state other than Canada may act as a flight crew member or exercise the privileges of a flight crew permit, licence or rating for the sole purpose of the person's flight test where

(a) the test is conducted in accordance with section 401.15; and

(b) no passenger other than the person referred to in paragraph 401.15(1)(a) is carried on board the aircraft.
17)
You will notice here that the CAR 401.03 makes distinction between a flight crew permit, licence or rating, which is mentioned in 401.03(1) and the FLVC which is not considered a flight crew permit, licence or rating, but which is listed in CAR 401.03(1.1).

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Transport Minister Lebel writes to a colleague:
Monsieur XXX YYY

Monsieur,

Je donne suite à votre courriel du 22 novembre dernier concernant le recours par certains transporteurs aériens canadiens à des pilotes étrangers.

En premier lieu, permettez-moi de préciser que je partage vos préoccupations sur cette question. Je sais que plusieurs transporteurs canadiens choisissent d’avoir recours à des pilotes et à des aéronefs étrangers pour faire face à la demande plus élevée durant la haute saison. Transports Canada est responsable de la politique en matière de location d’aéronefs avec équipage, et les responsables du Ministère examinent actuellement cette pratique afin d’établir des directives à ce chapitre. Durant cet examen, le Ministère maintiendra un dialogue ouvert avec les intervenants de l’industrie du transport aérien au Canada.

J’aimerais également souligner que la responsabilité de Transports Canada dans ce secteur consiste à veiller à la sécurité du système d’aviation canadien en validant les licences des pilotes étrangers. Le recours à des pilotes étrangers au Canada se fait par l’intermédiaire de programmes qui relèvent de la ministre des Ressources humaines et du Développement des compétences, l’honorable Diane Finley, ainsi que du ministre de la Citoyenneté, de l’Immigration et du Multiculturalisme, l’honorable Jason Kenney. J’ai donc pris la liberté de leur transmettre une copie de votre correspondance afin qu’ils répondent à vos préoccupations.

Je vous remercie de m’avoir transmis vos commentaires à ce sujet et je vous prie d’agréer, Monsieur, l’assurance de mes meilleurs sentiments.

Denis Lebel, C.P., député

c.c. L’honorable Diane Finley, C.P., députée
Ministre des Ressources humaines et du Développement
des compétences
L’honorable Jason Kenney, C.P., député
Ministre de la Citoyenneté, de l’Immigration et du Multiculturalisme
Really ?
Pilot Qualifications

705.106 (1) Subject to subsection (3), no air operator shall permit a person to act and no person shall act as the pilot-in-command, second-in-command or cruise relief pilot of an aircraft unless the person

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

We are probably never going to agree but I still say your argument as presented would not hold any water in court.

The way I am reading it is that if a foreign license has been validated under Part IV, you are legal under 705.106(1) so there is no point in looking at 705.106(3).

No, line flying for a commercial operator is not listed under 421.07 nor does it have to be as 421.07(j) starts with "for reasons other than those listed above". I know you don't like it but let's face it, how do you think a judge would rule if someone argued in court that a seasonal need is one of those reasons? You are probably right when saying it was not the intent of the rule(s) as the lawyers that wrote those rules probably did not predict or envision the situation we are currently in. I would venture to guess that one or more of the TC staff that sent you written answers would have consulted with lawyers to get an interpretation before providing an answer.

RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

I support what you are trying to do, although it may not sound like it. From the outside looking in it seems to me the real problem is the lack of and severe imbalance when it comes to reciprocity, rather than license validations.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

RogerCheckCopy wrote:We are probably never going to agree but I still say your argument as presented would not hold any water in court.

The way I am reading it is that if a foreign license has been validated under Part IV, you are legal under 705.106(1) so there is no point in looking at 705.106(3).

No, line flying for a commercial operator is not listed under 421.07 nor does it have to be as 421.07(j) starts with "for reasons other than those listed above". I know you don't like it but let's face it, how do you think a judge would rule if someone argued in court that a seasonal need is one of those reasons? You are probably right when saying it was not the intent of the rule(s) as the lawyers that wrote those rules probably did not predict or envision the situation we are currently in. I would venture to guess that one or more of the TC staff that sent you written answers would have consulted with lawyers to get an interpretation before providing an answer.
Oh we will agree, trust me, because I had the exact same reservations in the beginning. Until I understood it. And here is the explanation.

705.106 required a "licence, ratings and endorsements required by Part IV".

FLVC is neither a permit, nor licence, nor a rating nor is it an endorsement.

Which is why 401.03 (1) mentions permits licences and ratings and the FLVC is listed seperately in 401.03 (1.1). It's a different beast altogether.

Just looking at the title of 401.03, the FLVC is listed as a seperate item:

"Requirement to Hold a Flight Crew Permit, Licence or Rating or a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate"

For your argument to be valid, 705.106 (1) would have to be:
unless the person

(a) holds the licence, ratings, endorsements or a Foreign Licence Validation required by Part IV;
[/quote]

But that is not the case is it ?

Finally you will notice that in 725.106(6) it specified that
(6) Use of a Person not Qualified in Accordance with the Canadian Aviation Regulations to Act as Pilot-in-Command or Second-in-Command (refers to subparagraph 705.106(3)(b)(ii) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations)

Authority may be given for other than an air operator employee pilot to occupy a flight crew seat when training, conducting line indoctrination training, and while the first air operator flight crews are completing consolidation and crew pairing minimum flight time requirements on a new aeroplane type.

The pilot shall:

(a) provide a resume, proof of background on the type of aeroplane, and recent experience appropriate to the training to be given; and

(b) hold the appropriate licence, ratings and endorsements. Where the pilot holds a foreign pilot licence, the licence and (as applicable) the instrument rating shall be validated by Transport Canada - Civil Aviation.
"Where the pilots holds a foreign pilot's licence, the licence and as applicable the instrument ration shall be validated by Transport Canada"

IF the Regulations considered that a Foreign licenced pilot with his TC Validation in hand was considered a licenced pilot under Part IV, why on earth would this paragraphs be there ? Simple answer ? It wouldn't.

The foreign licenced pilot is not lincenced according to Part IV and a FLVC issued by TC is not a licence under Part IV.

So 705.106 (1) applies.

And so do 703.88
Flight Crew Member Qualifications

703.88 (1) Subject to subsections (6) and (7), no air operator shall permit a person to act and no person shall act as a flight crew member in an aircraft unless the person
(amended 2000/02/01; previous version)

(a) holds the licence and ratings required by Part IV;
and 704.108

Flight Crew Member Qualifications
704.108 (1) Subject to subsection (6), no air operator shall permit a person to act and no person shall act as a flight crew member in an aircraft unless the person

(a) holds the licence and ratings required by Part IV;
To conclude, 703.88, 704,108 and 705.106 put together forbid the use of foreign liceced pilots in Canada for Air Taxi, Commuter and Airline Operations. Period.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

I have a quick question about this one.

What are the cost savings in using these foreign pilots? Is it really that much cheaper to use these people? Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I didn't see it in this thread yet.

Cheers!

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

ourkid2000 wrote:I have a quick question about this one.

What are the cost savings in using these foreign pilots? Is it really that much cheaper to use these people? Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I didn't see it in this thread yet.

Cheers!
Sunwing has about 250 foreign pilots. If a type rating costs $30 k thats 7.5 million right there.

Then they don't pay any social costs associated with foreign pilots: vacation, EI, CPP, any retirement benefts etc.

Also, all the of foreign pilots that Sunwing hire are sourced at the same European airlines where the aircraft are sourced, in proportion. It's disguised sort of wet-lease It's not certain that the aircraft would be available under the same conditions if the aircraft were sourced without the pilots. European labour legislation does not allow airlines there to lay off pilots for a few months as easily as it is done here. So these European pilots are paid all winter by thei European employers regaldless of whether they are contracted by Sunwing or not. Sunwing does this as much for it self than to hep out the airlines it hires planes and pilots from, including about half which are sourced at Sunwing's parent company TUI.
The deal with Travel Service is mostly to present a guise of reciproicty. Sunwing sent one aircraft and crew there in the summer under a wet-lease and in reciprocity rent more than a dozen aircraft and crew from Travel Service and call it "reciprocity".

RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

Your problem is not that 705.106 makes no direct reference to FLVCs, the problem is that 705.106 does not exclude FLVCs. That is how it would be broken down in a court if I had to bet money on it. 705.106 makes direct reference to Part IV where the title of the section makes no mention of endorsements either. However Part IV clearly explains FLVCs.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”