Porter bases

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

acheo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Porter bases

Post by acheo »

Are any pilots flying for Porter based out Ottawa?

Any chance to get based out of Montreal someday? If YTZ- New York works, I guarantee YMX or YHU - New York would work as well. (that was a hint for marketing people)

cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Porter bases

Post by ptc »

Pilot bases are YTZ, YOW and YHZ

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

ptc wrote:Pilot bases are YTZ, YOW and YHZ
What are my chances of a YHZ base if hired by Porter? How long is the upgrade in YHZ? Is it becoming senior like it is with Air Jazz? Or is it junior like it is with Air Georgian?

COMETER

365TAS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 365TAS »

YHZ and YOW are relatively easy to get into as a FO since upgrades are currently very very slow.

Movement will pickup when surplus Q400's get pushed out of YTZ as C's arrive.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Cometer, I thought you had all the prop time you needed/wanted 2-3 years ago and that you deserved nothing less than direct entry to jets and the Jazz fast track to captain upgrade "scheme"?

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Cometer, I thought you had all the prop time you needed/wanted 2-3 years ago and that you deserved nothing less than direct entry to jets and the Jazz fast track to captain upgrade "scheme"?
Yo friend.
I looked aat going to Air Jazz but I was told you couldn'int preselect your airplane an when I was thinking of going theywere hiring lots more to the Dash 8 the old ones and some guys went to the Q400 which is new. Id go to Air Jazz if I knew for certain that I could be on the CRJ Jet. But because I'v been told that upgrades take a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time with Air Jazz I don't want to go for just a turboprop. So thats why I haven't gone there. But Porter is okay by me because you'll fly the NEW Dash 8 - Q400 and theire growing and getting Cseries jets and can get a NS base in YHZ that works for me.

365TAS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 365TAS »

Cometer...I hope your resume and cover letter will have better spelling and grammar than in your posts or the only way you'll be in a Porter Q400 is if you buy a ticket.

Good luck!

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

365TAS wrote:Cometer...I hope your resume and cover letter will have better spelling and grammar than in your posts or the only way you'll be in a Porter Q400 is if you buy a ticket.

Good luck!

THanks man! I appreciate it! I have applied

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Cometer, I thought you had all the prop time you needed/wanted 2-3 years ago and that you deserved nothing less than direct entry to jets and the Jazz fast track to captain upgrade "scheme"?
So you all were right on that, that Air jazz does things via the senior system.

But then explain to me why CANJET has a Captain Upgrade Review Board to decide who can Upgrade. And yu get a linechecked and eval'd before you go. I had hoped Air Jazz did it like that but they use straight senior numbers to upgrade.

COMETER

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Because they are 2 completely unrelated companies that's how it can be explained.

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

COMETer, your posts show ignorance to airline operations, for example at Jazz, not Air Jazz, you are not simply upgraded based on a seniority number, you still have to pass all checks and line indoc. If you don't pass, you don't upgrade.
The system you dream of, is one where a brown noser like yourself would be upgraded ahead of someone who doesn't bend over every time some management crony tells him too.
I can pretty much guarantee that the
Captain Upgrade Review Board
does not pass by someone senior to upgrade someone junior, for reasons you envision, see above, it would be based on capability to handle the responsibility based on several criteria, not how much crap is on your nose.
I hope I'm not wrong about this, as this would be a shitty system, yes, pun intended!

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

with regards to being based at YHZ with Porter I believe that the past 2 or 3 ground schools have only been for YTZ openings.

The majority of the people who took the YHZ base are from out East and are happy to sit and wait for a left seat position to open but as someone earlier on mentioned that process could take a long time

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

anonymity wrote:COMETer, your posts show ignorance to airline operations, for example at Jazz, not Air Jazz, you are not simply upgraded based on a seniority number, you still have to pass all checks and line indoc. If you don't pass, you don't upgrade.
The system you dream of, is one where a brown noser like yourself would be upgraded ahead of someone who doesn't bend over every time some management crony tells him too.
I can pretty much guarantee that the
Captain Upgrade Review Board
does not pass by someone senior to upgrade someone junior, for reasons you envision, see above, it would be based on capability to handle the responsibility based on several criteria, not how much crap is on your nose.
I hope I'm not wrong about this, as this would be a shitty system, yes, pun intended!
We're thinking the same thing but differently. When I was applyin' with Air Jazz I was curious if the reason many many many people took a long time to upgrade was because of lifestyle issues and them enjoying seniority. If I had gone to Air Jazz and put in my bid for Dash 8 CAPTAIN, I'm curious how it would have ben received. Can a junior guy upgrade quickly at Jazz if he puts in for it and has a lot of ME PIC & IFR experience? Or is it strait numbers seniority?

Because I know a guy at CANJET and he says a big part of before people upgrade, the company checks them out with a linecheck and some other tests to see if they can do it, then the Captain's Upgrade Review Board looks it all over. Its just another CHECK to make sure the guy can do it before they spend thousands more pulling him off the line (lost productivity) and sending him to the sim.
And you're not gonna sneak an upgrade in if you can't do it. Only if you have the experience and have done it before will it be obvious and they'll upgrade you.

COMETer

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

Or is it strait numbers seniority?

The answer is a straight "YES". At Jazz, you do not upgrade until your number comes up, then you must jump through the training hoops. If you get through all of them, then you assume the position of Captain. If you don't get through all the hoops, there are provisions in the Collective Agreement to address that situation.

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

I'll add that, there are a lot of FO's who could upgrade but choose to stay FO for lifestyle. You can bid for Captain from day 1, just put it in your standing bid and if you can hold it(seniority) then you go, then jump through the hoops previously mentioned.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Man, I pity someone's wife: all about the destination, nothing to see on the journey :roll: ....

flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flatface »

Deleted

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

The bottom line is that if you come to Porter, there is a good chance you will be on a jet before you would be at Jazz. The C-Series looks to be an awesome airplane. Jazz seems to be stagnating and the future is somewhat unstable as AC looks to cut costs. Sure, the benefits are not quite the same as Jazz and the upgrades are not as fast as they used to be but it is a pretty decent place to work.

tamaboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tamaboy »

- do YTZ crew overnight in YHZ and YQM or is that scheduled through the YHZ crews

- how about a Hamilton (YHM) base? Be smart to start service there as there is no passenger carrier service, and its a fairly big city with lots of businesses.

MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB »

tamaboy wrote: how about a Hamilton (YHM) base? Be smart to start service there as there is no passenger carrier service, and its a fairly big city with lots of businesses.
So you're telling me that Air Transat, bearskin, Canadian North, Canjet, Sunwing, and Westjet are not passenger airlines?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”