Post by photofly »

My goodness you are so cynical!
---------- ADS -----------

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Porter's future

Post by justwork »

Inverted2 wrote:I don't think you'll see jets out of the island. Even if they do extend the runway to 5000' as proposed, I can't see it being long enough unless the C Series has some amazing STOL capabilities we don't know about. Deluce likely wants it extended just for the Q400s. He can sell his delivery slots on the C's and make a profit later on.
You would think if this were his plan he would have just asked for an extension and avoided %90 of the controversy associated with Porterplans.com. He could have always bought the delivery slots under another company and sold them when there was demand. If the extension is approved, Porter will be flying the CS100 out of CYTZ.

ODA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ODA »

Inverted2 wrote:I don't think you'll see jets out of the island. Even if they do extend the runway to 5000' as proposed, I can't see it being long enough unless the C Series has some amazing STOL capabilities we don't know about. Deluce likely wants it extended just for the Q400s. He can sell his delivery slots on the C's and make a profit later on.
I tend to wonder about that length of runway and contaminated runways dealing with a jet, but defiantly got a chuckle seeing 5000' and STOL in the same sentence. :D

Sorry to hijack the topic.

Cheers

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

The runway at CYTZ is rarely if ever contaminated and there is talk of having it grooved when/if the extension gets approved

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Rarely ever contaminated? Really?.... rarely ever any snow, water accumulation, ice, or slush? Whats your definition of rarely?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They have a snow sweeping team out to do a complete runway pass every few minutes, while it's snowing.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

ODA wrote:I tend to wonder about that length of runway and contaminated runways dealing with a jet, but defiantly got a chuckle seeing 5000' and STOL in the same sentence. :D

Sorry to hijack the topic.

Cheers
STOL is a marketing invented by de Havilland in the 60s. The only reason the Q400 or CS100 isn't considered STOL is because Bombardier isn't using that marketing term anymore.

The geared turbofan on the CS100 will behave more like a turboprop than a traditional high bypass jet engine on takeoff, since the fan stage is much bigger and slower spinning. A big slow spinning fan is more dynamically efficient at low altitude, hence the takeoff performance is better.
Hozer wrote:For the peeps at Porter, Do you think the current "gong show" at city hall will have any bearing on City Council's decision for Jets at YTZ. ie: a delay to their decision, change in outcome of their decision. If Ford is no longer the mayor do they still have their "pull" with city council? Just wondering what you guys think?
I worry about the decision being delayed if anything. The Deputy Mayor is a fan on the expansion as well, so it shouldn't change the outcome if Mr. Ford is not there. As it stands now, the decision is scheduled to be made by mid December.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

my definition of a contaminated rwy is the one we use for the Q400 and is defined by a rwy which is more than 25% covered in width, length with standing water, slush or snow or 100% compact snow

yes I would agree that YTZ has a crfi several times throughout the winter but is not contaminated due to the excellent snow removal team

Porter Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Porter Pilot »

I wonder if the runway extension will get caught up in Rob Ford political fallout seeing as he was such a big proponent if it. His opponents now smell blood and I'm sure would love to show him to be lame duck mayor. I hope people are able to separate the issues and vote on the merit of the proposal not what is politically expedient.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Valhalla wrote: As it stands now, the decision is scheduled to be made by mid December.
After all, it's not like a new incoming mayor could reverse the decision of the previous administration leading to a lawsuit and a huge payoff for Bob Deluce. Nothing like that could ever happen to an infrastructure project at the Island. It would be unthinkable.

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

So you're flying a C Series into or out of Toronto Island Airport and a TS goes through and now the runway is wet. Apparently the C Series is capable of being fully loaded with pax and fuel for the leg to LAX or YVR, be able to meet balanced field requirements. I call BS. Try rejecting in a fully loaded medium sized jet on a contaminated runway with less than 5000 feet. I think you would run off the end, into the lake. Next the landing. Big slow fans or not you cannot reverse fans nor count it anyways when determining landing distance. There is also this little thing YTZ called the 4.8º glide slope. I don't know any approach that is used by a passenger jet flying such a steep approach.

I would be very surprised if Deluce could pull this off.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 2.42.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 2.42.42 AM.png (196.99 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There is also this little thing YTZ called the 4.8º glide slope. I don't know any approach that is used by a passenger jet flying such a steep approach.
ILS RWY 09 at EGLC has a glideslope of 5.5 degrees. Lots of passenger jets there.

https://ivao.aero/db/ss/airport.asp?Id=EGLC

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

The Airbus A318 is a passenger airliner and regularly uses London City's (EGLC) 5.5 degree glideslope. Presumably with weight restrictions and other performance penalties, etc but it's doable. The CS100 will have much better performance & noise characteristics, so with airlines like Swiss and Odyssey ordering the CS100 specifically for use at LCY with it's much steeper slope, I submit CYTZ will operate just fine with these a/c when they enter service. IMHO. Time, as they say will tell. Cheers

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

privateer wrote:So you're flying a C Series into or out of Toronto Island Airport and a TS goes through and now the runway is wet. Apparently the C Series is capable of being fully loaded with pax and fuel for the leg to LAX or YVR, be able to meet balanced field requirements. I call BS. Try rejecting in a fully loaded medium sized jet on a contaminated runway with less than 5000 feet. I think you would run off the end, into the lake. Next the landing. Big slow fans or not you cannot reverse fans nor count it anyways when determining landing distance. There is also this little thing YTZ called the 4.8º glide slope. I don't know any approach that is used by a passenger jet flying such a steep approach.

apperently the sale is conditional on the c-series making the numbers. If they can't make the numbers they don't buy the airplane if the construction doesn't happen they don't buy the airplane. Unless your a test pilot with Bombardier or a member of the c-series design team, I'd say you don't know about it's ablilities or short commings. that plane has technology 25 years more advanced than an NG and alot of conditional sales based on the numbers they published. porters 30 swiss's 30 which is a subsidiary of the Luftansa group and could lead to a order in the hundreds if their happy with it. The last think Bombardier want's is the reputation that their airplane came in below expectations and was losing customers because of it. That can be a death sentance for a new manufacturer in an established market.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

photofly wrote:
Valhalla wrote: As it stands now, the decision is scheduled to be made by mid December.
After all, it's not like a new incoming mayor could reverse the decision of the previous administration leading to a lawsuit and a huge payoff for Bob Deluce. Nothing like that could ever happen to an infrastructure project at the Island. It would be unthinkable.
Actually, changes to the airport rules or runway construction cannot be reversed by a new city administration as any changes to the airport require a consensus from the city, the federal government and the Port Authority. This is why the last mayor couldn't close the airport, Chicago style, even though he campaigned to cancelling the bridge to the airport and opposed airport expansion.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

privateer wrote:So you're flying a C Series into or out of Toronto Island Airport and a TS goes through and now the runway is wet. Apparently the C Series is capable of being fully loaded with pax and fuel for the leg to LAX or YVR, be able to meet balanced field requirements. I call BS. Try rejecting in a fully loaded medium sized jet on a contaminated runway with less than 5000 feet. I think you would run off the end, into the lake. Next the landing. Big slow fans or not you cannot reverse fans nor count it anyways when determining landing distance. There is also this little thing YTZ called the 4.8º glide slope. I don't know any approach that is used by a passenger jet flying such a steep approach.

The C Series will be steep approach approved out of the factory. And in my experience, landing from a steep approach does not lengthen the landing roll.

Also, the runway will be grooved, meaning it will dissipate standing water. But hey, maybe you should relay your concerns to the nerds in lab coats at Bombardier. They're the ones insisting that it'll work.

55+
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 55+ »

vrefplus5 wrote:The Airbus A318 is a passenger airliner and regularly uses London City's (EGLC) 5.5 degree glideslope. Presumably with weight restrictions and other performance penalties, etc but it's doable. The CS100 will have much better performance & noise characteristics, so with airlines like Swiss and Odyssey ordering the CS100 specifically for use at LCY with it's much steeper slope, I submit CYTZ will operate just fine with these a/c when they enter service. IMHO. Time, as they say will tell. Cheers
5.5 deg G/S corresponds to a 583 ft/nm gradient and based on say an apch speed of 130kts that translates to 1263 ft/min. Certainly coming down quite fast, then again that IAP is published(don't know of the restrictions but has to be some) so there are applicable standards being met. Would assume similar for Toronto Island and Cseries.......

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

The C series may be approved for a steep approach but I'd be willing to bet it'll be flying RNP approaches into the island.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

justwork wrote:The C series may be approved for a steep approach but I'd be willing to bet it'll be flying RNP approaches into the island.
I'd bet you're correct, when all is said and done.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

10 or 2 degree glide slope, your plan is to touchdown by the 1000' mark. Anything past that is a long landing and should be a go around, no questions asked. Anything short of that and you've gone even steeper on your approach.

That's how I operated the Q4 for 3+ years into this land with PD.

+1 for the RNP for all fleets at PD, sooner or later.

Side question, if the runway is to be grooved, would the work to be done affect the daily ops?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”