Canada Jetlines

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canada Jetlines

Post by boeingboy »

Offer your services. Be sure to mention that you're a no it all. They'll be impressed.

I have nothing to do with anything in Canada. I left long ago.
Believe me - I would love nothing better than to see another decent, well run company plant itself in Canada, but this is not it.

You left long ago - so what make you think these guys have half a chance?
---------- ADS -----------

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by midwingcrisis »

I am understanding that 3 x 737-300s in maintenance now for delivery via GECAS

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
RG500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RG500 »

Interesting to see if they're able to comply with Boeing's requirements, listed in the last paragraph of this link.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... ch-by-july

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

Managers going to fly these things around? Where's the pilot ads? Pay structure? Sched?

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Whatever, I don't need a schedule and I'll work for cheap. Who's the CP?

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

Who's the CP?
Just announced, Don Davis Director of Flight Operations.

http://www.jetlines.ca/2015/02/18/jetli ... f-members/

http://jobsisee.com/profiles/triple7

Things seem to be moving along.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

I can't wait to find out the pilot wages...this is going to be epic.

Any early guesses? I say 73 for capt and 35 fo.

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

max 90 for capt, 35 for fo

aycarumba
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aycarumba »

Capt - 100k FO - 25k first year (35k - 10k type rating cost) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

"Jetlines plans to launch an airline in Canada in 2015 that applies Ultra-Low Cost Carrier operating principles with a focus on stimulating passenger demand through low cost airfares, and generating revenue from the sale of ancillary products and services. Jetlines intends to select routes that avoid direct competition with existing carriers in Canada and focus on cost discipline in order to keep operating costs low."

Alright fine, fair enough as this is their business plan. Rest assured though, aircrew salaries will be a reflection on their above noted statement. I certainly hope the younger crowd don't anti-up several thousands of dollars to get type rated by this company on whatever they do get B737,A320 or whatever..... then again this is aviation, that strange industry.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

FL020 wrote:max 90 for capt, 35 for fo
$90K is about what Transat is paying their guys first year in the left seat..will be interesting to see.

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by midwingcrisis »

I correct my post of Feb 17, 2015, Canada Jetlines Ltd. HAS NOT signed a leasing agreement or letter of intent with any aircraft acquisition firm.

http://www.jetlines.ca/2015/02/20/jetli ... EIiWd.dpuf

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

Would this be Canjet 5 or is it Canjet 6 by now ?

"Jetlines said to be in strategic talks with CanJet"

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/ ... er-launch/

Realitychex
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Realitychex »

URC wrote:Would this be Canjet 5 or is it Canjet 6 by now ?

"Jetlines said to be in strategic talks with CanJet"

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/ ... er-launch/
The latest grasping at straws strategy: hire someone else to do your flying for you.

In a business where a 10% operating margin is unusual, and the whole point is to recapture margin wherever possible, it makes zero sense to pay someone else to do your flying and pay them 10- 12% to do so. WJ explored this concept in the Spring of 1995 and dismissed the idea after a couple hours discussion with an established ACMI operator. It made no sense at all. Greyhound also found this out the hard way.

CanJet has already been burned badly playing in the sched business a couple of times, and, compared to the Jetlines brain trust, are experienced veterans. Jetlines brings nothing to the table that CanJet hasn't already explored and likely rejected. I would think Ken Rowe and Co would want nothing to do with anything that resulted in their taking any risk after having personally seen the volume of red ink that can be generated by the implementation of an ill-thought out plan for a sched operation.

Just operating one aircraft a day would require at least $80,000 a day in payments to CanJet. Sounds easy in theory, but CanJet knows in practice how difficult it is to accomplish, day in , day out 365 days a year. If CanJet had any brains, they'd want irrevocable letters of credit for at least 30 days of operations. With a three aircraft operation, we're talking $240,000 x 30 days = $7.2m. That simply covers flight ops. Then there are all the other expenses.

As for a foreign investor, lest anyone has forgotten, there's the 25% limit of foreign investors. Given the business acumen displayed thus far by Jetlines, can you imagine any foreign investor pumping cash into the enterprise, whilst leaving control of the operation in the hands of Jetlines management? Never say never, but you'd have to be some kind of stupid to willingly do that sort of deal.

Once again, I find it tremendously telling that Jetlines feels the need to continuously leak it's plans to the media at every opportunity. If I were at CanJet, I'd listen politely and then lose Jetlines phone number.

8)

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

Dear Canada Jetlines;

I've done some market analysis for you from a Pilots point of view. I hope you enjoy my cherry picking from your "route chart" this is free of charge btw :)

I'll start with your YYJ-Hawaii route. WJ already has 737's from YVR-Hawaii area with great success, they are also starting a YYC-Hawaii with thier new 767's later this year, and you can bet they will be crammed with "Ultra low-cost" seating. AC also does YVR-Hawaii all year and Sunwing does YYJ-Hawaii in the winter. So good luck with that one.

Next I see is YEG-Ft Mac. WJ/AC have both cut service. Canadian North, NCA and Sunwest activity has slowed down because of oil. So, good luck with that one.

We can move west to YWG-Flin flon. Calm air sends ATR's from YWG into Flin Flon, and they have been doing so for years without the need for a 737. Thier ATR's are often 'less than full" so I assume flin flon was a typo for Thompson. I believe it was First Air (i could be wrong) used to fly 737's into YTH years back. A big issue was the services in YTH, de-icing and the horrible runway. Yes YTH has new asphalt and Im sure the city will buy a new de-ice truck just for you (yeah right), but the mine in YTH closed its smelter since the last 737 sched, and I havn't heard of any "booming" activity out of YTH. So, good luck with that one. Also YWG-Tbay on a 737? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that was done to "fill up space" on your map. Anyway...

Hamilton as your hub instead of Toronto. Good job (seriously, good thinking) T-dot is overcrowded and expensive from a "fee" point of view. However, most people in the area live in or need to get to the T-dot area, so I assume a "Canada Buslines" is also in the works. But for a connecting hub to the rest of your network, I like it.

Anyway, thats my super awesome route analysis. Free of charge, you get what you pay for :)

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

FL7377 wrote:Dear Canada Jetlines;

I've done some market analysis for you from a Pilots point of view. I hope you enjoy my cherry picking from your "route chart" this is free of charge btw :)

I'll start with your YYJ-Hawaii route. WJ already has 737's from YVR-Hawaii area with great success, they are also starting a YYC-Hawaii with thier new 767's later this year, and you can bet they will be crammed with "Ultra low-cost" seating. AC also does YVR-Hawaii all year and Sunwing does YYJ-Hawaii in the winter. So good luck with that one.

Next I see is YEG-Ft Mac. WJ/AC have both cut service. Canadian North, NCA and Sunwest activity has slowed down because of oil. So, good luck with that one.

We can move west to YWG-Flin flon. Calm air sends ATR's from YWG into Flin Flon, and they have been doing so for years without the need for a 737. Thier ATR's are often 'less than full" so I assume flin flon was a typo for Thompson. I believe it was First Air (i could be wrong) used to fly 737's into YTH years back. A big issue was the services in YTH, de-icing and the horrible runway. Yes YTH has new asphalt and Im sure the city will buy a new de-ice truck just for you (yeah right), but the mine in YTH closed its smelter since the last 737 sched, and I havn't heard of any "booming" activity out of YTH. So, good luck with that one. Also YWG-Tbay on a 737? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that was done to "fill up space" on your map. Anyway...

Hamilton as your hub instead of Toronto. Good job (seriously, good thinking) T-dot is overcrowded and expensive from a "fee" point of view. However, most people in the area live in or need to get to the T-dot area, so I assume a "Canada Buslines" is also in the works. But for a connecting hub to the rest of your network, I like it.

Anyway, thats my super awesome route analysis. Free of charge, you get what you pay for :)
You make some valid points but lose credibility with the Sunwing to Hawaii comment.....

And I wouldn't compare NCA, Sunwest and Canadian North on the YEG-YMM route. To start, these carrier barely fly to YMM. The majority of the flying is north or south of YMM.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

The plot thickens... Whether or not this is true, or just a polite way of bailing out of a sinking ship, does't look good.

http://www.jetlines.ca/2015/03/04/annou ... directors/
"Announcement: Change of Chair, Board of Directors

To focus on his health, with regret, Mr. Sid Fattedad has stepped aside as Chair of Canada Jetlines Limited. Mr. John Sutherland will act as Interim Chairperson."
And back on the routing topic, interesting to see they completely avoid two major power-house AC/WS hubs. And the hubs that they do fly into, they barely just touch them. In other words "We don't wanna mess with the two biggest dicks in town." I feel bad for any customer who wants to go YVR-YHZ, looks like you'd have to do YVR-YWG-YQT-YHM-YHZ. The collection of comments on their Facebook page about the proposed route map is pathetic.
"I don't understand why you're not going to serve YQB. There's a lot of demand for domestic flights. No carriers serve YQB from western Canada..."
Obviously there isn't enough demand if none of the real airlines are flying it.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

With pending successful funding, Jetlines plans to launch an airline in Canada in summer 2015.............

Summertime start up isn't that far.............

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but, I'm really excited for this airline to get up and running!!

Best case scenario; thier crazy plan works and they expand the market and provide more jobs and Canada gets a third airline and everything's peachy, or

This company fails with very entertaining results (for those not involved of course).

Is it summer time yet??

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The web site shows an impressive list of company principals. I wonder how many of them have significant skin in the game ?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”