AVCANADA

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 am 
Offline
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm
Posts: 2359
Not the best comparison BE20 Driver. Doctors are paid for by the government and the government controls how many it hires. The College would not control who and how many companies would be hiring. The college of physicians upped the number of doctors it produced but without funding to hospitals they cannot be hired. The real doctor shortage isn't a shortage of doctors but tax dollars to pay them and therefore hire them. The solution of course is a 2 tier healthcare system that allows users to pay if they wish and therefore free up money to hire more doctors but that is a discussion for another thread.

I know this because I have several friends in the field of medicine. One of which had to go to Australia to specialize because there were no positions in Canada. Patients yes but no funded job.


_________________
http://www.collegeofpilots.ca/


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:57 pm 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 128
Morav wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, the College of pilot is not interested in doing jack shit for wage equality.


I don't think you understand the point of the college.

Do yourself a favor and do some research.




I was responding to the previous poster who seemed to think joining the COP will bring about better wages. Do yourself a favour and read the thread :smt008


if i miss understood the "point" of the COP and it is vision for the future is a regulatory body that determines wages and working conditions for every pilot based on years of experience and number of seats behind him/her I apologize. I'm not sure how I could misunderstand one of the first slides in the COP information seminar I attended though " Not a super union and not regulating wages".

Please tell me I am wrong, I want to be wrong.



Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm
Posts: 2359
Here's a thought. College sets standards. ATPL perhaps or IATRA. Those are needed to operate these aircraft. Tougher and higher standards mean less people to fly these aircraft forcing companies to pay more for qualified candidates.

Guidelines for new pilots so they are educated as to what is expected of them to uphold the respect of the profession. Believe it or not, new pilots bend break and disregard professional behaviours because they are told early in their careers that this is the way it is and has to be. It does not have to be that way.

The College will do what WE want it to do because it will be OURS and being a member will be the only way to influence change and steer it where you want it to go.


_________________
http://www.collegeofpilots.ca/


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:51 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: CYYZ
Lets make it simple .. Look at the current state of this industry. Not good. What have we done about it? Nothing. How about we get off ours ass's and put a little faith in the fact our collective voices could bring about positve change, because our current methods haven't yielded shit so far. Back yourself and your fellow pilots for all our sakes and change the industry. Join.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:17 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm
Posts: 53
teacher wrote:
The real doctor shortage isn't a shortage of doctors but tax dollars to pay them and therefore hire them.


Sorry, not true. Small towns across this country are offering free homes + perks, to family doctors who will move to provide services. Ask them how this is going - years after they are trying. Do you know of any unemployed family doctors who simply do not want to move to a rural setting? Please tell me how many unemployed doctors you know of period due a lack of tax dollars. And if there are excess doctors floating around, why did my friend in general surgery just sign on straight out of residency at 600k/year? If what you say is true, there would be two surgeons hired on at 300k/year. But what we have today does not seem like a shortage of tax dollars to me - or unemployed doctors. Where would a two tier system find these doctors waiting around for jobs? My ex gf is a GP. She was constantly asked to work at every clinic and town/city/province you can name - there was never any comments about "sorry, we can only offer this limited salary because we have a stack of resumes with the same experience". There is a shortage of residency spots (due to a shortage of doctors being able to train new residents here due to a lack of healthcare funding stemming back 20 years ago), yes, which is why you know of MD graduates going overseas for residency like your friend did, definitely not for a lack of tax dollars for salaries when doctors are done residency.

Pilots need to stop comparing themselves to doctors and the medical profession. Time to realize there is an mass excess supply of pilots, not doctors. Maybe it is time to have a college requiring a license holder to have a 4 year science undergrad with a 3.75+ gpa, plus experience, before being able to practice much like other professions.



Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm
Posts: 53
justwork wrote:
Don't fault the employer, they keep lowering the bar but people still want to work for them.


Except, what is your choice when you just dropped a couple years into training, $60 grand, maybe even a degree, and a couple years working in not so great conditions building time, or making even less as an instructor in a 40 year old Cessna where the radios hardly work? $30k/year and a nice clean aircraft, in a big city, for a scheduled airline, is very appealing. And if you don't accept the wage, there are 10 other people who will. And once you've put in time as a FO, are you going to turn down a captain spot in a few years which pays much more, even though it's only on par with a starting wage in an office job which requires zero experience? No.



Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm
Posts: 136
A country wide sick day every few months would shake things up a bit. If we bring aviation in this country to a grinding halt once in a while it might spark change.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:21 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:57 am
Posts: 204
Location: not where I want to be...
Wow…just like Greece or Spain or Italy…how's that working out for 'em? :roll:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:49 pm
Posts: 1719
Location: of my pants is unknown.
The problems in the EU are a tad more complex than workers going on strike, but thanks for playing.

_________________
I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:31 pm 
Offline
Rank 6
Rank 6
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 am
Posts: 438
airspeed250 wrote:
justwork wrote:
Don't fault the employer, they keep lowering the bar but people still want to work for them.


Except, what is your choice when you just dropped a couple years into training, $60 grand, maybe even a degree, and a couple years working in not so great conditions building time, or making even less as an instructor in a 40 year old Cessna where the radios hardly work? $30k/year and a nice clean aircraft, in a big city, for a scheduled airline, is very appealing. And if you don't accept the wage, there are 10 other people who will. And once you've put in time as a FO, are you going to turn down a captain spot in a few years which pays much more, even though it's only on par with a starting wage in an office job which requires zero experience? No.


That's easy, you have the choice not to take the job. The guys on the 1900 will be making more money than you on that old jet. Also, I have a lot of friends who have made that choice already, started working up north and will stay up north because they know they're worth more than what big city operators will pay.



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 am 
Offline
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Posts: 2170
Location: west to east and west again
Word I got was they were going to pay B1900 Pay +8-10kdollars


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 am 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 pm
Posts: 28
Last I heard
Captain: 72k
F/O: 39K



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:57 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: CYYZ
Last I heard .. Nobody ever hears correct. :D


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am
Posts: 94
The pay scale is based on credit hours with a defined min. The average Capt is projected to earn between 74K and 78K (initial direct entry Captains will/may be higher on the scale based on exp) and the FO's will earn 38K to 40K. That is with average workloads and no additional duties. Per diems were raised in the last collective agreement. The benefits are excellent for a mid-size company including loss of licence ins, medical, dental, life ins, ac passes (C4) and new RRSP matching although at a very low 1% after 5 years (it is a start). LIDC Captains and additional duty holders will be making 85K to 90K but no longer get an additional day off. Pilots also have the option of switching to Regional 1, AGL's charter division where the wages are higher and the schedule is lighter but not defined. The crew who rotate to Afghanistan or Africa from R1 also earn a very high premium. In summary if a CRJ or Dash 8 driver wants pay over schedule they can get it at AGL/R1.

To answer the experience question; I think the merger with Regional 1 last month will address all issues. R1 is a CRJ operator flying the type in the Canadian north, Africa and other locations. They also have a long list of contract pilots that R1 uses when they need them - assume most will work for AGL at least for a while. In other words the new AGL/R1 is an existing CRJ operator with both Canadian and international experience.

The loss of YHZ for AGL and gain for EVAS is part of AC regional airline diversification strategy and signifies more growth for both operators.

AGL has access to 50 CRJ's and close to 100 Dash 8 classics as well as "more than a few" Q400 aircraft through AVmax their new partner. I think you will see their focus shift from the B1900 to these types in the next few years both within the AC family and outside of it by growing Regional 1.

The pay scales at AGL cover B1900, up-to 50 seat TP, up-to 50 jet, 51 - 76 seat TP and 51 - 76 seat jet. The CRJ 100 and 200's that AGL will fly for AC are upper middle of the scale.



Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:18 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 1489
gtanorth wrote:
The pay scale is based on credit hours with a defined min. The average Capt is projected to earn between 74K and 78K (initial direct entry Captains will/may be higher on the scale based on exp) and the FO's will earn 38K to 40K. That is with average workloads and no additional duties. Per diems were raised in the last collective agreement. The benefits are excellent for a mid-size company including loss of licence ins, medical, dental, life ins, ac passes (C4) and new RRSP matching although at a very low 1% after 5 years (it is a start). LIDC Captains and additional duty holders will be making 85K to 90K but no longer get an additional day off. Pilots also have the option of switching to Regional 1, AGL's charter division where the wages are higher and the schedule is lighter but not defined. The crew who rotate to Afghanistan or Africa from R1 also earn a very high premium. In summary if a CRJ or Dash 8 driver wants pay over schedule they can get it at AGL/R1.

The pay scales at AGL cover B1900, up-to 50 seat TP, up-to 50 jet, 51 - 76 seat TP and 51 - 76 seat jet. The CRJ 100 and 200's that AGL will fly for AC are upper middle of the scale.


Is this the deal that the GGN pilots voted no to or is it something new?



Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:46 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:58 am
Posts: 25
Fact: At Air Georgian base salary for the captian postion on the CRJ pays 72,000/year. This is based on 70 hr/month with a 16 day/month sched. Projected flight hours per month is 85, so if you do the math, there is a potential to have a pretty decent paycheque given today's pay scales in aviation. First officers on the CRJ have the same deal with a base salary of 40,000.


There...no more need for speculation :wink:



Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:28 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm
Posts: 1212
hey GtaNorth,

what are those raised per diems now? Last time I heard the raise was a whopping 2cents/hr over 4 year, for a grand total of $1,40/hr.



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:49 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:44 am
Posts: 30
I saw a CRJ parked at the north end in YYZ. Must be a Georgian machine. Does anyone know if they are going to operate CRJ100 or CRJ200s?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:22 pm 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 am
Posts: 245
And who's Q400's are parked by skyservice and the westjet hangar in yyz.....they are white and seem to have US registrations....as they have been there a while since snowbanks are piled around them.....


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:34 pm 
Offline
Rank 6
Rank 6

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:55 pm
Posts: 442
From what I am hearing they will be flying old and clapped out 100's. They will be a maintenance nightmare.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 pm 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 216
That tail is one of the old Jazz/AC tails. Used to be 116.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 am 
Offline
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Posts: 2170
Location: west to east and west again
When did they lower the credits from 100 before overtime?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:48 pm
Posts: 205
piston12 wrote:
Fact: At Air Georgian base salary for the captian postion on the CRJ pays 72,000/year. This is based on 70 hr/month with a 16 day/month sched. Projected flight hours per month is 85, so if you do the math, there is a potential to have a pretty decent paycheque given today's pay scales in aviation. First officers on the CRJ have the same deal with a base salary of 40,000.


There...no more need for speculation :wink:



So are you saying if you don't fly at all you still get $72000/yr?

And if you fly 71 hrs, you get overtime?



Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:18 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:58 am
Posts: 25
The rate up to 90 hours/month is 70$ per hour. Time and a half starts at 90 hrs. The minimum monthly guarantee is 70 hours. And yes, salary is based on 70 hrs/month which is the minimum pay cheque...


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 66
70$ per hour flying a 70 hour guarantee, that's 58 800 per year. Am I missing something?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dick, Wammer and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]

For questions/comments please send them to
avcanada@gmail.com


AvCanada Topsites List
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. If you feel a topic or post is inappropriate email us at avcanada@gmail.com .  By reading these forums you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable. This website is not responsible or liable in any way for any false or misleading messages or job ads placed at our site. 

Use AvCanada's information at your own risk!

We reserve the right to remove any messages that we deem unacceptable.
When you post a message, your IP is logged and may be provided to concerned parties where unethical or illegal behavior is apparent. All rights reserved.