Other career opportunities

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flapsdown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Other career opportunities

Post by flapsdown »

I've been working as a pilot for over 10 years. Just a little over a year ago I realized my goal of flying for mainline. I've been fortunate over the years to have experienced most types of flying (bush, charter, medevac, corporate, etc). And while each type was unique, they share many similarities. They all require weekend flying, or over the holidays, long hours and being away from home for periods of time. Despite all this, I consider all my time in aviation to have been a positive and enjoyable experience.

This past year was a particularly difficult one. I missed the birth of my first child, her first birthday, first Christmas, etc. Through absolutely no fault whatsoever of the airline I work for. Winter weather cancelled a lot of flights this year.

I've recently considered the idea of leaving aviation all together. For me, family is the most important thing in my life and making sure that I'm there to support my wife and be there for my children is my highest priority.

Has anyone left an aviation career altogether? It seems to me that our skills are non transferable and that further education would be needed.

Anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

CDVPILOT74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Other career opportunities

Post by CDVPILOT74 »

I left aviation for more than a 10 yr period due to the financial need to support my wife and 3 young kids. I was about 26 then and had been laid off from flying (charter and instructing) more times than I was hired so paying the bills was really hard. It was really difficult to leave behind the flying, knowing I would become rusty and miss opportunities for pilot jobs. As soon as the rust started to appear and my Group 1 and instructor ratings expired, it seemed like it was over for good and to get the ratings back would be too costly and time consuming and would it even be worth it all over again? I had a few good years of being a self employed renovation contractor but it became harder all the time to make money in that business without putting in lots of time and I didn't enjoy it like flying. My kids are grown up now and I renewed my group 1 just a few months ago and looking for work as a pilot. I am able to take a pay cut at this stage in my life as I am downsizing and my wife and I are all for the return to aviation for the long term gain and freedom. What does your family think? Every job has its ups and downs and working 9-5 can be a real long term downer especially if you are starting out in a new line of work at the bottom. I would say not to give up and to look ahead 10 yrs from now. Most of my friends at AC, Porter and others, (who all went to flying school the same time I did) are home for most important events and love the schedule of an airline pilot.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Try Sim instructing!

Transferable skill. Home every night. Most weekends and stats off. No seniority lists or union interference. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, NOT seat dependent or date of hire dependent.
Good gig.

Reality check.
Regardless of your type ratings, licence or hours. Once you time ex you might as well consider yourself a private pilot. No one is going to touch you. (or, very, very few) Valid instrument rating and medical will do very little to overcome that. Networking might.

...just my perspective. Either way best of luck.

Gino :partyman:

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Remember that guy that successfully landed in the Hudson? I recently read that he was consulting in the medical industry. Initially it would seem that there is little transferrable between the two industries. Seems doctors (or perhaps doctor's lawyers) are eager to adapt some of aviation's best practices.
We have a lower rate of litigation in our public medical system but I'll bet there is a niche for a self proclaimed human factors expert. Hell, doctor's schedules and fatigue related issues could keep a team of consultants for the foreseeable future.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

10 years in man! You've made it to mainline (which I'm assuming is either AC or WestJet)! Why would you quit now? You're there! You may be junior on the seniority but the better schedule and pay is right around the corner. You put 10 hard years in, to quit just as you're about to realize the rewards of all that hard work? For what? Family! Of course, family is paramount but you've already missed her birth, her first birthday, her first Christmas. In ten years will your daughter remember those absences?! I'm sure that last year wasn't pleasant but to sacrifice your career after you've invested so much and are just about to see a return on your efforts? The airlines will provide you with much more of a family life in the future. Not only will you be home more but think about all the family travelling you can do once your children grow older? How about your potential earnings? Not to mention the lost income you'll suffer from starting over in a different career? Think of the sacrifices you'll have to make for a fresh start, both financially and family wise. Lastly, you don't get this far in aviation without a passion for flying. As CDVPILOT74 alluded too, you may want to give some thought about how much you'll enjoy a normal working life vs the freedom of flying. I know that's probably the last thing on your mind but of the few people I know who've left aviation it impacts them a lot.

Apologize for sounding a little rantish.. it's the Bushmills!

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

Mr. North and Gino Under both give some very good advice IMHO.

I have been in your shoes and many years ago also came to a cross roads like you describe. I can tell you that for me personally I am so very glad I listened to those who encouraged me to continue on. That was about three years before I ever made it to the airlines. 20+ years later... I have no regrets for staying the course.

Aviation is challenging for family life...however if you have a supportive partner, you will be able to make up for the times where you are disappointed that you simply could not be there. For example...When my kids were young, I appreciated that I was able to drop them off and pick them up from school...do activities with them etc. when other fathers who were home most nights could only wish that they could spend the amount of time on their children as I was able to with mine. It was hard when I was away...but when I was home...I was home around the clock.

What ever you choose to do, I wish you the very best. Only you know your situation completely..

It seems to me that the much better years are just around the corner for you.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

+1 for Sim instructing. There are also many "management" pilot opportunities that exist at major airlines. This enables you to keep some flying in the mix but a greater portion of your time on the ground.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Nice to see positive posts here, I would also agree with the others to stay the course.

But, thought I might mention NavCanada. I know they like hiring actual pilots, and the pay is good, but the application process is long, and you don't have much if any choice in location after.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I almost quit aviation few years back. However, I soon found that despite the downs, aviation is pretty much the best gig out there. Travel benefits count for a lot when the wife doesn`t live in her home town. Working hours, though irregular are good. Pay now is good. I don`t earn as much money as my surgeon friends, but my quality of life is much better. I`m a scientist (biophysicist) by education now, but couldn`t even come close to the money I make now if I took a job as a prof. Hours worked, no comparison, I work less now. If you want to be a lawyer the money isn`t all its cracked up to be. Blue collar trade- good money now, not so fun when you`re 50 and your back is out to the point you can barely walk (happens lots).

I learned to be happy with the downside of this profession. The grass is always greener on the other side.

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

Bede wrote:The grass is always greener on the other side.
A-freakin-men.

Also:

https://career.cae.com/_generic/portal/ ... 71FAAF7B92

https://career.cae.com/_generic/portal/ ... 6006FBA973

If anyone is interested.

flapsdown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flapsdown »

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Though I feel that I should clarify what I was getting at. I love my job, and I love flying. And while I'm not overly thrilled about the circumstances of the past year I accept them. I haven't had a Christmas off in 7 years. This doesn't bother me. My family just celebrates it a few days earlier or later than others. We make it work.

However, the last few months had me thinking about different avenues I could take career wise. Looking through these, and other, forums I found a lot of people who left aviation. But (and no offence intended) I found those threads to be overly negative and ambiguous. I was just looking for specific examples of what others had done. Someone mentioned sim instructing. That's perfect! Because it's something that I had never considered and it's specific.

Leaving flying is not a decision I will take likely and appreciate once again everyone's encouragement.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Ever considered ATC?

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

How about:

Transport Safety Board
Ab-Initio Instructing with flight colleges
Managment position with a smaller 703/704
Aviation Course Development (online and written)
Sim Instructing
Small Corporate company
ATC (VFR or IFR routes)
Nav Canada Flight Service
Airport Authorities have lots of different jobs that could utilize your previous skill set

Back to the game..

Cheers!

pshannon104
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pshannon104 »

Although I am early in my flying career (500TT :) ) I have already been thinking about many of the things you have been going through in your life. I currently don't have a family but I will someday, and I fear that I will miss many events and the connection with my family will be burdened. There are pros and cons to everything in life and picking a career that suits your personality and lifestyle might not happen on the first go around. Take some time to really think about what you want in life and remember we only have one go at it so if something doesn't feel right or you are having doubts change it. Having made it to the mainlines you can give yourself a pat on the back and lets just say your time hasn't gone to waste. Something to think about is the cost / time it would take to start something new, even if you are staying within the aviation industry you will need to spend money and probably more time away from home. What if you pick a new career and there are no jobs or you get posted in the middle of nowhere? Take some time to think about all outcomes before you throw in the towel, sometimes a switch seems so easy but in reality it may end up hurting you even more.

Cheers

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I've been flying commercially for about 6 years. Instructing first, then Medevac, 704 and now at a major 705 operator, so as the aviation road map goes, I've finally "made it." However, I find myself in the same situation as yourself. Missing birthdays, Christmases, New Years, etc. does get old after a while. With that in mind, I've decided to make the move to ATC. Home every day, pay is great, lots of vacation, etc. I might still have to work Christmas or other holidays, but at least I'm home every night to see the family.

I see guys still trying to chase the bigger metal, and I ask why? For me, it's all about lifestyle, and with aviation being my passion, ATC seems to fit the bill nicely.

gianthammer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gianthammer »

Alberta Oil patch work is 90% Monday to Friday. Try one if the operators out of YYC. Sunwest or North Cariboo are the only two that really seem worth any effort, there is some pretty knowledgable people on this forum on the in's and outs / schedule pros and Cons about these two places?

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

My advice to the OP:

If you've gotten yourself mentally to a place where you are comfortable leaving this gig, then do it; and don't look back. Things are only going to get worse in this shareholder-driven industry. But never leave a job without another job waiting for you. So use the time to finish some courses, solidify some sim connections, or prep for a trade. You will not regret the move away from this sh*t show in the long run. There are many of us here that regret how far we've come, and lament what could have been. Sadly, you won't find many willing to be vocal about the truth because pride is a powerful motivator.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

And which industry isn't shareholder driven? All these problems aren't exclusive to aviation.

Takeoff OK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Takeoff OK »

sstaurus wrote:And which industry isn't shareholder driven? All these problems aren't exclusive to aviation.
Agreed, but this thread is about aviation. And it sounds like he has decided the reality of it is no longer worth the sacrifices.

Black Cat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Black Cat »

Flapsdown,

It is a common theme amongst my peers. Guys twice my age who were at our stage in life 25 years ago have said to me if I could do it all over again I would spend the time with my family. They also say that considering that the pay is the same now as it was 25 years ago there's no way that this would be worth it.

Good luck.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”