AVCANADA

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:47 pm 
Rank 8
Rank 8

Devil's advocate here: why do captains find it so important to meet jumpseaters before the flight? It looks like it gives you the illusion that you have the power to turn people away, but yet, if you were to do so regularly (for no good reason), the jumpseat privileges of your company would probably be more at risk than the jumpseat priviliges of the non-greeting jumpseater, would it not?

Just a thought...

I personally have no issue with taking jumpseaters who don't come to the cockpit or introduce themselves. As long as the gate agents know and our load is ok, it's fine by me. Maybe I am not as power hungry as some :mrgreen:

You could even argue that informing the gate agents satisfies the requirement to inform the pic. Just like the PIC is responsible for all aspects of the flight but delegates loading, fuelling, filing flight plans etc, one could argue that the "meeting the jumpseaters" is delegated to the gate agents.

If the gate agent gives me a boarding pass and they tell me there is no need to talk to the captain, why would I do so?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

digits_ wrote:
Devil's advocate here: why do captains find it so important to meet jumpseaters before the flight? It looks like it gives you the illusion that you have the power to turn people away, but yet, if you were to do so regularly (for no good reason), the jumpseat privileges of your company would probably be more at risk than the jumpseat priviliges of the non-greeting jumpseater, would it not?

Just a thought...

I personally have no issue with taking jumpseaters who don't come to the cockpit or introduce themselves. As long as the gate agents know and our load is ok, it's fine by me. Maybe I am not as power hungry as some :mrgreen:

You could even argue that informing the gate agents satisfies the requirement to inform the pic. Just like the PIC is responsible for all aspects of the flight but delegates loading, fuelling, filing flight plans etc, one could argue that the "meeting the jumpseaters" is delegated to the gate agents.

If the gate agent gives me a boarding pass and they tell me there is no need to talk to the captain, why would I do so?

Air Transat requires that a form be filled and signed and that the JS pax have his ID and pilots license. I don't expect the gate agent to do it if I have time and it's my pleasure to help out a fellow pilot and say hi to them in the process. At other airlines, the procedure is to introduce yourself to the crew. Non the less it is a simple courtesy to go in and say thanks for the ride.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:31 pm 
Rank 11
Rank 11

Maybe the Jazzers are afraid the WS crew will put them to work folding seatbelts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:42 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

co-joe wrote:
Maybe the Jazzers are afraid the WS crew will put them to work folding seatbelts?

There are quite a few Jazz pilots that already do fold seat belts and help clean the cabin on quick turns so it wouldn't be anything new

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:56 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

av8ts wrote:
co-joe wrote:

There are quite a few Jazz pilots that already do fold seat belts and help clean the cabin on quick turns so it wouldn't be anything new

Are you talking about on their own flights?
Because I was told a long time ago, not to cross belts when leaving a WJ flight, I was happily folding a few seatbelts and was asked to stop. This is a liability issue, if I was stuck by a needle or anything sharp, I know extreme but anyhow I would not be covered under WCB, I'm not an employee and therefore not my job.
I have never been asked to do it, before or after that, if you ever are I would ask that person who will cover your lost income if something did happen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Yes talking about on their own flights

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 pm 
Rank 11
Rank 11

av8ts wrote:
Yes talking about on their own flights

I was joking that Westjet might make them work for their seat.