Proposed Flight Crew Fatigue Regs

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Proposed Flight Crew Fatigue Regs

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Not sure where the "8 hour duty day" comes from...
According to the chart (reproduced above by AOW), HiFlyChick would have plenty of time, depending on the time of day the duty period commenced. Any show time between 0700 and 1300 would allow for a 13 hour duty day...plenty of time.

When I worked in the Caribbean, we were saddled with the British duty period rules. The proposed rules here are very similar.
We all carried a small laminated chart in our pockets so that if our day went sideways, we could quickly determine our max duty period (as an aside, we did not have to deal with this much. Our company simply scheduled us for 6 hour duty periods as we typically flew upwards of 15+ legs a day. Max duty period only became an issue during IROPS)
HiFlyChick wrote:I often have a group of people who have say 4 legs planned (each less than 1 hr) and who anticipate being only an hour or so at each intermediate stop. So looking at that chart, if they get delayed, I don't know if I'd even be able to answer them whether we'd be able to complete the day
if you had the same trip today, say 4 legs at 2.5 hours and 1 hour stops in between, would you be able to complete the day under the existing rules if there were delays? same calculation...just different numbers under the proposed regs

I'm not that smart, but this doesn't appear to be overly difficult

BBB
---------- ADS -----------

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

florch wrote:AOW

Respectfully, almost no one acclimatizes entirely to working nights. Most people switch to more of a day sched on their days off to spend time with friends and family, and almost every cargo pilot I know will tell you that when they get the occasional long day flight it is a a good break. They'll say that a 14 hour day is easier than an 8 or 9 hour night. Anecdotal, but that's my experience.
You are probably correct, with respect to most people, but I have met a few people (or possibly bats disguised as people) who prefer to work straight nights. My wife (a nurse) has encountered even more in the hospital environment that choose to work only nights. These people likely don't switch to a "normal" schedule on their days off, and probably prefer the different pace of night operations. That being said, I worked a couple of night shifts last week, and it does take a toll on you, but so does a long day! I like the idea of improved fatigue management, but it is difficult to make a one-size-fits-all solution for something as diverse as the Canadian aviation industry.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Brantford Beech Boy wrote:Not sure where the "8 hour duty day" comes from...
That was mostly in response to some previous posters talking about having a "regular" work day

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”