TALES OF A WAYWARD AVIATOR

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

Well I spent the last four days over on Vancouver Island visiting my grandkids with whom I cherish every minute.

A friend flew me over in his six banger Cessna 172 on a nice , smooth , sunny day. Skies through which I had aviated in King Airs and Navajo's in all sorts of sh*tty weather , under stress and usually behind schedule. I loved it though.

I found myself coaching my friend but it is always well recieved.

The secondary purpose of my mission was to do the bottom of my forty foot cutter named Baka.

I accomplished this by sailing her onto the tide grid at high tide which , wouldn't you know it , was at 0100 hours. I secured her to the pilings and waited for the tide to go out. Next morning we pressure washed her clean and off to the paint shop I go.

I was driving along thinking "HHMMmm. Those egg-heads at the cancer clinic said I was supposed to croak this summer sometime..what will I do? Man! I have some decisions to make...Thoughts raced through my mind. Decisions...I had to put some order into these thoughts.

I wheeled into the parking lot and went to the counter to ask for some anti-fouling bottom paint. I told her the brand name.

"Do you want one year or two year paint , the latter being more expensive?." she purred at me.

I'd already made my decision.

"I'll take the two year , my sweet." I proudly postulated.
---------- ADS -----------

For me , VNE is not a limitation , it's a goal
Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

:mrgreen:
I think you'd qualify as what some would call a curmudgeon Mr. Duke... Good on ya!

By the by.... it's about flippin' time you piped up in here! Some of us might have been wondering you know!... I know you must think we're all unconcerned unattached never-knew-you types... but some of us could've been your best friends, given the chance... and you've done such a damned good job of letting us know who you are, we do give a s#it!...

so keep in touch will ya? y'ol' curmudgeon you. ;)

Cheers,
Yer would-be pal,
Griffon

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

A curmugdeon you say Griffon. He He He He..

Well my atti-' ferkin- tude is a lot better now that I know how to plan for a pleasant summer.... regardless of what fate has in store for me.

And friends Griffon , I regard you all that read my tales as MORE than friends.

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

The Teacher

Post by Duke Elegant »

I have pinned to the wall in front of me , a memorial card.

A beautiful picture of Mt Cheam take from Cultus Lake graces the cover.

It is titled:

He loved the Earth and Skies

Inside is a picture of young Peter Deck , looking rather dashing in his RCAF uniform proudly flying his wings above the left pocket on his tunic.

And another picture of the aged frame of the old teacher.

January 7th , 1914-Dec 29th 2002

The third picture takes my breath away.

Taken from the cemetary here is a picture of five airplanes flying a perfect V formation . Except that one is missing. A gap .... middle one on the starboard side of the V.

The Missing Man

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

The missing man formation originated during WW1 where a fallen aviator was honoured by his squadron mates with a fly over of his funeral.

This tradition has been carried out by pilots from the Chilliwack area who are invited to participate. I felt honoured to participate in Peter's flyover.

More to follow....

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

I heard a good expression once in Africa:
'Keep your pecker up!'

Always fine advice. :D

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Duke,

Did you do the sailing trip yet?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

We leave Vancouver next Wednesday the 21st for San Francisco.

The" Hyperlas " will have already undergone sea trials so we plan on casting off on Thursday after a day for food provisioning.

It looks like we will have e-mail capability on the yacht so I plan on reporting our Lat/Long to my family every day.

Maybe a post or two to Avcanada can be made.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Great! HAve fun! Looking forward to the story (posted here, of course)when you get back.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

Today we fly to SanFrancisco for the maiden voyage of the 54 foot sailing yacht Hyperlas. Our mission is to deliver her to her berth in Point Roberts on the Canadian border. The voyage should be around a thousand nautical miles , maybe ten days... maybe...

We five crew are all offshore veterans but the weather at this time of year is unpredictable and we are bucking the Pacific Current that will rob us of over one knot. We must also stand two hundred miles offshore to avoid the Columbia River outflow and coastal weather.

We met a couple of days ago and our chef , Johnny O , compiled a menu fit for a Royal cruise. I , however , am on a natural uncooked food regimen as part of my cancer battle so I planned for a big bag of trail mix , dates and nuts with some fresh fruit and veggies occasionally. I suggested that they buy trail mix for five because things can easilly go for ratsh*t if we get pounded by a storm or two and the "cock o vin with sauteed mushrooms" gets splattered on the polished teak and origional artworks on this $1.2 million dollar palace.

I am taking two Patrick O Brien novels , "Master and Commander" and "Port Captain" so the nautical flavour and inspiration should be everpresent..

The last sea voyage I completed was San Diego to Hawaii on a mere 32 foot cutter. On that voyage I read The Right Stuff and soon thereafter was to meet . Yeager personally in Australia.

Also , I am the only non gazillionaire on board.

I hope once again to immerse myself in the universe , alone , in the cockpit , on watch as the star scene pinwheels around the North Star Polaris.

But I am ready for battle against the cruel angry sea that has shown me her fangs before.

I look forward to sharing a few sea yarns with my aviator bretheren upon my return.

SOMETIMES IT'S TOUGH BEING A DUKE.

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

Have Fun, I wish that I was going with you. You should bring a deck of cards and lighten some of those billionars pockets. :D

29chev
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 29chev »

Back to the ttop with you

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

I always like to whistle a few bars of the theme to Gilligan's Island (three hour tour ...) as I head out of the harbour.

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

I cast my eye upon her. I felt a stir in my loins. This fifty four foot sailing yacht sure was sleek. Sleek and panther like .. much like myself.

Skipper Dave had parted with $1.4 million Canadian in order to procure her. She was now his slave.

Skipper Dave , Johnny O , Harry , Larry and the Duke. It doesn't get much better than this.

We cheerfully provisioned her in San Francisco and readied her for the Northward slog up one of the most treacherous coasts on earth... from California to Canada via Oregon and Washington state. We feared for the early summer Northerlies into which we must sail. The other door to hell were the South Westerlies that whipped hard againts the Columbia River outflow. These , hopefully had retreated for the year only to awaken next fall to stare down the south bound mariners.

We cast off on a sunny day and purred along at eight knots out from Oakland into San Francisco Bay , navigating by the GPS moving map with all bouys clearly marked. A few points off the port bow towered the Golden Gate bridge under which we must steam. And steam we did right into a hornet's nest ... fifty racing sailboats hard tacking to weather with no mind for a transitting ocean bound yacht. With deft manipulation of the helm I stroked her through this nest only to be pounded by steep , short white cappers through which she plunged with her fine bow as she carried most of her beam aft in a saucy fashion.

She trembled with excitement as I plunged her.

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

Northern Flyer

He He He Ha Ha Ha!!

Good one, sir , ... stay posted.

wollypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wollypilot »

duke i hope you don't get seasick!

Cheers, wp

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

Chin thrust high , I took the seas head-on. On the balls of my feet I danced and swayed to her motions .... Aaaah! Admiral Nelson sprung to mind ... and Russell Crowe ... and the Duke.

I crouched over the radar on this fine sunny day but it was devoid of dangerous targets that I would have to demonstrate superior skills in order to avoid them.

I glanced at my shoes , a sporty pair of Polo Sports by Ralph Lauren. The first lady of the Hyperlas had shopped for these , after all , the rest of the crew had them. I had caged my trusty old brothel creepers below.

Skipper Dave efficiently deployed the mainsail in order to steady this galloping maiden.... she moaned and rolled over to a comfortable heel and she plunged on ..............

Morale was high , excitement peaked.

Duke Elegant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Elegant »

I gripped the sternrail with clammy paws. I heaved and spewed ... spewed last nights sixty dollar sushi dinner back to the deep. My Polo Sports streaked with viscous slime.

I stared , glassy eyed , into this lumpy green hell.

I growled and retched in despair and I cursed this black hearted , heaving , pox ridden harlot that tried to buck me off with her corkscrewing writhing gyrations.

I was a frothing , bug eyed fool.

Fifty feet away , up in the bow was the chain locker. If I could make my way there , I would wrap myself in chain and step over the side. How do I lift two hundred feet of chain ? Maybe if I unshackle Skipper Dave's six hundred dollar anchor ...

"Them that dies will be the lucky ones" ... that Blackbeard the Pirate phrase meant something to me now.

I looked towards the cockpit where three gallant sailors chatted merrilly. Oh how I despise them.

Then Skipper Dave says , "Hey Duke! The good news about all that vomitting and spewing is that it sure saves wear and tear on yer ars*hole." They laughed heartily ... and I attempted a grin.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

No great shame Duke. I've been reading C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower novels again. That hero was often sea sick after his first ocean voyage after being ashore a long while. I'm sure you'll feel as hardy as the other ol' salts after a couple of days.

Fair winds for you Duke.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Ah yes, good old Lord Admiral Hornblower. He was always a bit too wishy washy for me but great books nonetheless.

I can think of few things more miserable than being seasick on a delivery. Oh well, this time last week i was jibing a spinnaker in 15 knot winds and while i am not as fast as i used to be, at least a year in the prairies has not turned me into some nancy who barfs his cookies at the first wave :D.

At least you are on the water.

All the best Duke.

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”