Duane Hicks Senior

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 11
Rank 11

Duane Hicks Senior

Post by ... »

Proudly dedicated in memory of Duane Hicks November 10, 1937 - September 1, 2003, of Hicks & Lawrence Ltd., Ontario .

Duane shared his love of flying by giving young pilots a chance to spread their wings. He shared his wisdom in business by example…the honor of a handshake and the solid integrity of his word. A foundation from which any pilot can soar.

A scholarship will be awarded annually in memory of Mr. Hicks in an attempt to clear the runway so that those deserving of it may also find...

http://www.gft.ca/pages/scholarship.asp
---------- ADS -----------

Let'errip
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Duane Hicks Senior

Post by Let'errip »

Duane was the first real gentleman I worked for in aviation. I'll always remember him coming up to CYGQ to go out with the guys down to see the local "entertainment". He was always buying us drinks and being one of guys. He wasn't like most of the penny-pinching, tight-wads you find as business owners in aviation. He knew how to treat his employees and gain their respect. That's why we write kind words about him today ...

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

5 years later...

"son...a handshake is thicker than ink..."

-Duane Hicks Sr.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Duane signed my log book in St Thomas as I was completing my private cross country. 1968.
Many years later I had the great pleasure of working with him and his company as they were the chief contractor to the OMNR for detection and birddogs.
Duane was an honourable man who didn't stand for any bull shit. He would seal a deal with a hand-shake. Man I miss him and his type they are becoming fewer and fewer as we race toward a litigious society.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Driving Rain wrote: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:58 am He would seal a deal with a hand-shake. Man I miss him and his type they are becoming fewer and fewer as we race toward a litigious society.
I leased a plane from Duane many years ago. Handshake deal was exactly right. If costs came up, they were dealt with by the party responsible.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Just saw this. He was indeed a nice guy.

Return to “AvCanada's Wall”