CBC Called Out by Air Canada Social Media

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CBC Called Out by Air Canada Social Media

Post by photofly »

It's so funny to hear people look up to the BBC, which comes in for even more stick in the UK than does the CBC in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

CBC, the public relations arm of the Liberal Party of Canada.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

photofly wrote:It's so funny to hear people look up to the BBC, which comes in for even more stick in the UK than does the CBC in Canada.
Check your logic there, champ. The reference was only that the CBC is a pathetic shadow of the BBC, not lauding the latter. If you aren't enamoured of the Beebs then you must really loathe the colonial pretender. :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:CBC, the public relations arm of the Liberal Party of Canada.
Ding! :lol:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

complexintentions wrote:
photofly wrote:It's so funny to hear people look up to the BBC, which comes in for even more stick in the UK than does the CBC in Canada.
Check your logic there, champ. The reference was only that the CBC is a pathetic shadow of the BBC, not lauding the latter. If you aren't enamoured of the Beebs then you must really loathe the colonial pretender. :mrgreen:
complxintentions wrote:You could say I like the IDEA of the CBC, I just wish it were fit to carry the BBC's shoes.
Sure sounds like a statement of respect for the BBC, to me. But do you actually spend much time listening reading or watching its output, to know?

I quite like the BBC myself, in its place, and as long as you can forgive it its biases.

It's the same for the NHS - gets a lot of plaudits in Canada, when most Brits have nothing nice to say about it.

Last edited by photofly on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote:
NunavutPA-12 wrote:CBC, the public relations arm of the Liberal Party of Canada.
I thought you guys thought the CBC was communist, which is far closer to the NDP than the Liberals. BTW, the last government to not only balance the budget but post record surpluses was Liberal. Don't look now but your ideology is showing. :wink:

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Far closer to the NDP that the Liberals? If you say so little Chihuahua.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

@photofly

I certainly respect the BBC far more than CBC. Your only point seems to be that both have their detractors, which they both deserve. Well spotted...?

It doesn't change the fact that if you have a problem with the journalism of the former, you should probably entirely ignore the latter.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Nor does the conduct of this individual reflect the journalistic standards of the entire network.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

complexintentions wrote:@photofly

I certainly respect the BBC far more than CBC. Your only point seems to be that both have their detractors, which they both deserve. Well spotted...?
What I'm saying is that all organizations of this kind benefit from a kind of grass-is-greener bias. From afar the shiny bits stand out; you have to get up close before the warts show. People outside the UK hold up the BBC, people outside Canada hold up the CBC. (Those who have heard of the CBC, that is.)

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

In many years outside Canadian borders I've never met a single soul outside of Canada who was even aware of the existence of the CBC.

BBC on the other hand is an international presence, followed worldwide. I can find it on the television worldwide, in the Middle East, Asia, North America, anywhere. I don't "hold it up", its just not even comparable in the scale of audience. We're talking news here - but if you want to get into dramatic series the BBC absolute destroys the garbage on the CBC by any rational comparison.

But like it or hate it, it's not even in the same category as the Canadian national broadcaster. The fact that Brits whinge about it as much as Canadians hate on the CBC is irrelevant. That's just human nature. The colonial apple didn't fall far from the tree, I guess.

And I'd definitely say that the lack of journalistic integrity displayed by the email accidentally sent to Air Canada isn't exactly an anomaly.

It's pretty weird, a former Canadian defending the BBC to a former pom! Well hey, we both left... :mrgreen:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You'll have to trust me when I say the BBC is prone to exactly the same lapses in journalistic standards at the CBC has displayed here. There are so many there's a special webpage devoted to the results of the complaints investigations:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/comp-reports/ecu/

Does the CBC have anything similar?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

I highly doubt there are enough people that care about the CBC one way or another. It's just not relevant outside of Canada and barely, within.

Not sure what point you're even trying to make - that complaints automatically imply "lapses in journalistic standards"? That it's bad the BBC has a formal mechanism in place to deal with them? That you're surprised that an entity of its size and scope attracts complaints?

All of which, are total logic failures.

Or do you just want to continue to derail this thread? It IS all about you, after all! :mrgreen:

Really, makes no difference to me what you think of poor ol' Blighty and its institutions. Evidently your opinion isn't very high or you wouldn't have left. But the discussion isn't really about the BBC. Apparently my off-hand reference triggered something in you so I'll just let it lie and leave you to the joys of Canadian tax-funded programming.

Enjoy your re-runs of Little Mosque on the Prairie.

Ta.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

complexintentions wrote:I highly doubt there are enough people that care about the CBC one way or another. It's just not relevant outside of Canada and barely, within.

Not sure what point you're even trying to make - that complaints automatically imply "lapses in journalistic standards"?
Well, when the complaints investigations conclude that there were lapses of journalistic standards, I'd say that implies there were lapses of journalistic standards. Wouldn't you?

You said the CBC wasn't fit to carry the bags of the BBC, or words that effect. Perhaps you think this is evidence of the same, and that this couldn't happen at the Beeb. Either way, I think you have an unrealistically high opinion of the BBC. Maybe you could even cut the CBC some slack? It's really not that bad, you know.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

That wasn't what I said - my point is that the mere existence of complaints isn't an automatic indication of problems. People love to complain - have you not noticed? Gsus, all I did was make an offhand remark and you were off to the races to try and correct some perception that doesn't even exist.

I'm sure all news outlets suffer from their lapses in accuracy and integrity. That doesn't preclude one from considering one of better quality than another. If it'll help calm your obsession with eagerly Brit-splaining the BBC, I'll readily admit than I also consider CBC to be inferior to CNN and Al Jazeera for international news reporting.

Hopefully we can agree, that when news producers decide to deliberately promote an agenda, as in this CBC reporter, that it's not exactly quality journalism.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The CBC budget is about 1.5 Billion dollars annually. The BBC budget is more than 8 Billion. If the BBC has superior foreign news coverage, and the CBC isn't fit to carry the BBC's shoes, that might be why.

Gicen that they both have journalistic lapses, you could probably afford to be a bit more proud of your national broadcaster. It does well, for what you spend on it.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

How does this relate to aviation again? Wheres Sulako with 'this thread has run its course' ? ;)

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote:
rookiepilot wrote:
I thought you guys thought the CBC was communist.....
...and we thought you thought CBC was unbiased and fair in their journalist endeavours. Would you care to tell us again how much you admire CBC news?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I never said I admire the CBC B208, I said I like it and find their standards high notwithstanding some exceptions. Calling them left wing is inaccurate though, they are centre (for Canada) which equals communist for a rabid right winger like you.

Comparing them to the BBC makes no sense either. There are significant differences in scale, budget, and cultural necessities that preclude comparison. As well maybe if right wing governments didn't vow to eliminate the CBC every chance they got they might get a little more sympathy from CBC employees.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Where to start......... I cast my first ballot in 1970 and from then on the Left CBC, the Right CBC and everything in between has always been on ongoing debate from politicos, partisans, hangers on, disgruntled journalists, you name it. The Communist CBC, The Neo Conservative CBC, Extreme Left CBC it has been all said by all ad nausea. The media has it in for the Government(of all stripes), if I had a buck for every time that was said I would retire with the same pension as the most senior AC B787 Captain.

For those into Archives, Google “ This Hour Has Seven Days” a mid 60’s CBC kinda investigative show. I barely remember it, didn’t watch it though was to young.

Return to “General Comments”