Air Canada is in bad shape

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Canada is in bad shape

Post by confusedalot »

the covid thing is killing airlines worldwide. In ac's case, the cost is 16 to 20 million per day.

and you are worried about bidding for sports trips?

does anyone out there have a clue about the severity of the situation? the few billion of cash on hand is not going to last forever. grade 3 arithmetic.
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:41 pm the covid thing is killing airlines worldwide. In ac's case, the cost is 16 to 20 million per day.

does anyone out there have a clue about the severity of the situation? the few billion of cash on hand is not going to last forever. grade 3 arithmetic.
The "Covid thing" isn't even the disease itself, its only the hysterical reaction to it. But I finally felt Trudeau actually gets me now. He said this pandemic sucks. Trudeau has pretty much given up on leading and says listen to your local public health.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1812250691858/

Each day we are digging a bigger grave for every business impacted by these government actions. Funny thing is, Trudeau says Canadians don't want a simple approach to Covid that applies for everyone, and personally that's so far from the truth IMO. Social distance, Wear a mask when you cant social distance, and protect the old and vulnerable. Eliminate every other covid policy and daily update and change of policy/localized stage 2 etc. The media would burn out of garbage to talk about, the fear would go away and we could move on. People are scared because every day is a new knee jerk reaction like shutting down gyms and a fear mongering Speech from our Liberal Trudeau or other liberal Ford.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

montado wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:28 pm
confusedalot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:41 pm the covid thing is killing airlines worldwide. In ac's case, the cost is 16 to 20 million per day.

The "Covid thing" isn't even the disease itself, its only the hysterical reaction to it. But I finally felt Trudeau actually gets me now. He said this pandemic sucks. Trudeau has pretty much given up on leading and says listen to your local public health.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1812250691858/

Each day we are digging a bigger grave for every business impacted by these government actions. Funny thing is, Trudeau says Canadians don't want a simple approach to Covid that applies for everyone, and personally that's so far from the truth IMO. Social distance, Wear a mask when you cant social distance, and protect the old and vulnerable. Eliminate every other covid policy and daily update and change of policy/localized stage 2 etc. The media would burn out of garbage to talk about, the fear would go away and we could move on. People are scared because every day is a new knee jerk reaction like shutting down gyms and a fear mongering Speech from our Liberal Trudeau or other liberal Ford.
What sort of reaction are you hoping for? 1 dude who caught something at a bar went to his gym and that will end up in about 100 cases.

Protecting the old is hard when PSW's can only be offered part time work and have to jump between different nursing homes in a single week. We built up a lot of things in our society on sand and covid is just the tide coming in.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Sheesh, the "experts" weigh in.

Like Trudeau and co or not -- I don't, particularly---- this is (still) a new unknown virus.

I assume the world's best medical professionals are giving the political leaders advice. Those leaders -- at least a few of them, I'm sure -- have lost countless hours of sleep trying to navigate this mess, without inciting a depression, and trying not to kill too many people, with IMPERFECT INFORMATION.

You all do better, and Own it when it goes wrong.

I see the public health officials of some provinces on TV, every day, taking questions, trying to communicate.

But NO! Let's throw all of the legimate experts out of the room, for a group of so-called experts with Zero medical credentials, too cowardly to reveal their own names!

Run for office -- folks. Serve your country.

The sheer immaturity floors me.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:47 pm Sheesh, the "experts" weigh in.
As the 'expert' weighs in on those weighing in. Don't come here acting like your sh*t don't stink criticizing everyone for being an 'expert' when the majority of regular members, including yourself have basically done the same with every thread on here. Welcome to opinion based internet forums. Go through your previous posts count all the times you've weighed in like an expert.

Look, if you want to be naive to think the world's leaders are acting solely on top doctors and medical professional's advice, you ago enjoy that rose field. Let's make no mistake, there is proven science based research that discredits lockdowns and many of these government restrictions. Why isn't ALL the advice being used. You think everything the world leaders do are in our best interest? LOL Wake up my dude. The WHO made a royal mess in the beginning. Weren't they the bastion of leadership on guiding us through the pandemic to begin with?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rooster wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:06 pm
As the 'expert' weighs in on those weighing in. Don't come here acting like your sh*t don't stink criticizing everyone for being an 'expert' when the majority of regular members, including yourself have basically done the same with every thread on here. Welcome to opinion based internet forums. Go through your previous posts count all the times you've weighed in like an expert.

Look, if you want to be naive to think the world's leaders are acting solely on top doctors and medical professional's advice, you ago enjoy that rose field. Let's make no mistake, there is proven science based research that discredits lockdowns and many of these government restrictions. Why isn't ALL the advice being used. You think everything the world leaders do are in our best interest? LOL Wake up my dude. The WHO made a royal mess in the beginning. Weren't they the bastion of leadership on guiding us through the pandemic to begin with?
Followed by the conspiracy theorists.

Virus became an issue in March. Loads of experts...by April.

I'm low time, but been flying a bit longer than that. Aviation has been around a wee bit longer than this virus.

Yeah, I see loads of people not wearing masks indoors too. Coughing. They don't want to listen to health experts, so they do what they want.

Then write letters to your MP if the government is so deluded. I have done so in the past.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Anyone who questions the government - "Conspiracist"

Well what if, and a big what if, if a government or political think tank is using Covid to push their agendas.

What if all the greenies love to see aviation suffering and people hiding in their homes.

What if they think this is great for their political agenda.

What if they don't care about the implications of said philosophy and think that RookiePilots becoming truck drivers or getting a "green job" is for the best.

Whenever someone tells me "they know best" - the hairs on the back my neck begin to stiffen.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

flashheart wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:42 pm What if all the greenies love to see aviation suffering and people hiding in their homes.
Bingo. That's what the whole Greta Thunberg and flight shaming thing was about. A paid actor (from a family of actors) went to the cleanest countries on the planet to simply foreshadow what was to come.
flashheart wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:42 pm Well what if, and a big what if, if a government or political think tank is using Covid to push their agendas.
This isn't so much government as it is uninhibited capitalism disguised as safety and security (Iraq 2003, anyone?)
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 pm Virus became an issue in March. Loads of experts...by April.
On experts...
Bill Gates, who has earned a diploma in neither medicine nor business is considered an expert in medicine. In the USA for example, Fauci and Birx (more experts) are paid through Gates' vaccine investments, so they say what Gates tells them to. This is not up for dispute--they receive money to backhandedly encourage travel restrictions and to promise an end to the restrictions, which would be taking a vaccine.
There have also been scores of genuine and educated medical experts (with zero profit motive) banned from social media for going against the grain on this. Are you simply following the "expert" that the TV instructed you to follow?
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 pm Followed by the conspiracy theorists.
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 pm Yeah, I see loads of people not wearing masks indoors too. Coughing. They don't want to listen to health experts, so they do what they want.
Cope how you need to. You would think that the reported origin of the virus, Wuhan, would be under the tightest of restrictions. They're back to enjoying parties and waterslides, and oh yeah, revenge travel. Your experts convinced you that everything is good in China now, but you Westerners have been bad, so you should decimate every industry in your countries, including the entire travel industry.
The thing to realize is this--the travel restrictions are only going to tighten further, whether or not you take a vaccine. The writing is on the wall, though few can read it. Air Canada (and all airlines worldwide) is not going to be making a comeback. You should be able to see this in the severe and permanent fleet and staffing changes that were made. These are not preparations for a temporary event. Freedom of movement in the West as you know it is finished.

This is actually very easy to figure out. If your neighbour or coworker were behaving anything like these "experts," you would have reported them or even called the cops. People just don't have the guts to question "authority," especially during times when it is in question the most.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ReserveTank wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:20 pm
The thing to realize is this--the travel restrictions are only going to tighten further, whether or not you take a vaccine. The writing is on the wall, though few can read it. Air Canada (and all airlines worldwide) is not going to be making a comeback. You should be able to see this in the severe and permanent fleet and staffing changes that were made. These are not preparations for a temporary event. Freedom of movement in the West as you know it is finished.
That is an interesting view. I am newly long Air Canada stock, so obviously my view is different.

Arguments need not be all or nothing....there is nuance......

Questioning the government? Absolutely. Write letters. Protest. I'm 100% a supporter of your right to do so. 100%.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Like Trudeau and co or not -- I don't, particularly---- this is (still) a new unknown virus.

I assume the world's best medical professionals are giving the political leaders advice. Those leaders -- at least a few of them, I'm sure -- have lost countless hours of sleep trying to navigate this mess, without inciting a depression, and trying not to kill too many people, with IMPERFECT INFORMATION.

You all do better, and Own it when it goes wrong.

I see the public health officials of some provinces on TV, every day, taking questions, trying to communicate.

But NO! Let's throw all of the legimate experts out of the room, for a group of so-called experts with Zero medical credentials, too cowardly to reveal their own names!

Run for office -- folks. Serve your country.

The sheer immaturity floors me.
Rare case where I fully agree with you. It's easy to yell at someone for a bad decision made 6 months ago based on info that wasn't accurate, lot harder to realize we knew nothing then and had to plan for the worst.

spinaxis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by spinaxis »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:39 am
That is an interesting view. I am newly long Air Canada stock, so obviously my view is different.

Questioning the government? Absolutely. Write letters. Protest. I'm 100% a supporter of your right to do so. 100%.
Rookie are you even a pilot? Like I mean more than a weekend warrior... Are you a professional pilot? I want to guess no.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

spinaxis wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:16 am
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:39 am

Rookie are you even a pilot? Like I mean more than a weekend warrior... Are you a professional pilot? I want to guess no.
I wasn't aware this was a professional pilot's only blog.

Of course I'm not a professional pilot, as is clear in my posts. I run a small business -- you know the sector that's been trashed much, much worse than anything else. So If you're implying I shouldn't comment ------ or anyone who isn;t an airline pilot for that matter ---

spinaxis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by spinaxis »

You just seem pretty opinionated about an industry you don't work in. Just because you own a business doesn't mean you're now an expert on all things business.

Until I actually worked at an airline I didn't fully understand many aspects of it much like how I read a lot of your posts. You seem to think you know a lot more than you actually do.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

spinaxis wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:25 am You just seem pretty opinionated about an industry you don't work in. Just because you own a business doesn't mean you're now an expert on all things business.

Until I actually worked at an airline I didn't fully understand many aspects of it much like how I read a lot of your posts. You seem to think you know a lot more than you actually do.
Running a business for over 20 years, ups and downs, near BK's a couple of boom periods, and investing in many others, teaches a lot of principles that cross industries. You may disagree, that's fine.

Not having a salary for my entire working life, is highly motivating to learn how things actually work.

Air travel might be dead. I highly, highly doubt it. I hope for everyone's sake, I'm not wrong, and air travel, restaurants, and everything public will return to life.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The problem is the government is mainly just listening to health and disease experts, of course their goal is to minimize the health impact but they have zero responsibility to minimize the economic damage. In order for it to be properly dealt with you need to have business experts, economic experts, social experts and health experts giving an opinion so all sides of the issue are represented.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

fish4life wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:23 pm The problem is the government is mainly just listening to health and disease experts, of course their goal is to minimize the health impact but they have zero responsibility to minimize the economic damage. In order for it to be properly dealt with you need to have business experts, economic experts, social experts and health experts giving an opinion so all sides of the issue are represented.
Do you really believe that the government doesn’t care/has not consulted experts about the economy?

Going for the deck at corner
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:10 pm
fish4life wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:23 pm The problem is the government is mainly just listening to health and disease experts, of course their goal is to minimize the health impact but they have zero responsibility to minimize the economic damage. In order for it to be properly dealt with you need to have business experts, economic experts, social experts and health experts giving an opinion so all sides of the issue are represented.
Do you really believe that the government doesn’t care/has not consulted experts about the economy?
They fired the minister of finance that disagreed with it so I do not believe they have fully evaluated the opinion of the effect on the economy

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Exactly.

I've been a Trudeau critic, but I wouldn't want his job now, or Ontarios premier.
This -- is Really hard.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

fish4life wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:08 pm
They fired the minister of finance that disagreed with it so I do not believe they have fully evaluated the opinion of the effect on the economy
The former finance minister and the PM may have disagreed on how to handle parts of the economy (and that may be why he was forced out) but to say the PM did not consult with experts is ridiculous.

Going for the deck at corner
flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

I think it is ridiculous to think our PM isn't ridiculous

Return to “General Comments”