de-ice procedures at various airports for small planes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eugene_goostman
Rank 1
Rank 1

de-ice procedures at various airports for small planes

Post by Eugene_goostman »

Just curious if a guy can use a heated bottle of type I for a frost spray on the ramp of an FBO anymore or is that a thing of the past? Are most pilots being directed to directed to a specified de-ice pad where a contractor in a truck must spray them or what?
---------- ADS -----------

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: de-ice procedures at various airports for small planes

Post by timel »

Heating and type 4 in hangar with FBO is best if outside contamination going on.

Some big airports will force you to a de-ice ramp for "ecological" issues. Some you can use your bottle of heated glycol over there. Most airports in Canada don't have a de-icing ramp.

Usually the good old broom is doing the job and is just perfect. No heat, no sticky.

I am the only one with nights at 5 degrees already, the winter is already coming back? Jeeze.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Just spray and go. IMO, don't get caught without that bottle if that's what you're used to and keeps things safe. If yours still drips just a little along the taxiway/runway, what's the big deal; its the same way a contractor's de-icing job would anyway. Out of curiosity, what does a contractor charge for the same little touch-up you're speaking of ?

Just think of the millions of gallons of windshield washer being sold and squirted along our highways, yet the grass/ trees still grow great.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

De-icing is between 7-10$/litre.

I know in YUL de-icing cost approx 10$/litre, even if big airlines are taking part in de-icing operation expenses, it remains expensive.

When you operate small turboprops, it is worth finding other solutions.

Canadian Skyhawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canadian Skyhawk »

Deicing in YHU was $12/litre the last time I checked. I only needed less than 10 litres of well placed Type I to deice a Navajo - what I couldn't remove with a broom and brush combination. The rampie told me that he used 100 litres regardless of aircraft type (they did mostly King Airs and Jetstreams at this outfit). After some arguing and cajoling, he did the job with "only" 20 litres, at a cost of $240. Needless to say, I carried my own bottle after that. I estimate that 80% of what is applied by these guys is completely wasted, and the rampies just enjoy shooting the stuff with firehose volume and pressure.

YUL has very strict rules (one of the few deicing bays that captures 100% of the runoff and recycles). They are very GA unfriendly. I still haven't tried doing my own deicing there, but I suspect that the FBOs might object on "ecological" grounds.

It's still 26 degrees in this part of the country..... : )

whoop_whoop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whoop_whoop »

It's been 2 years since I was up to speed on YVRs deciding procedures, so please let me know if it's changed.

Since Aeromag 2010 took over, they've implemented quite the centralized process for deicing. Almost everybody has to use the pads, where they recover the product! If you use the main terminal, you could request a defrost spray at the gate only...any amount of deicing (such as removing ice over the tanks) required you to head over to the pads.

They initially allowed the alcohol sprayers on FBO land but, naturally, YVR wasn't terribly happy about the environmental impact. I don't think any type 4 was allowed on FBO properties...you had to taxi to the deice pads and get a hose down. I'm not sure what the current situation is like over there now. Now that I think about it, that run up contraption on the south side may be able to deice too.

2 years ago the price was so high that some airlines would cancel flights before deicing...with 50 seat A/C :shock:

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Most de-icing technicians are poorly paid (minimum wages), so they don't keep them, training and knowledge in de-icing are getting worst and worst from what I know. It takes more than one year to train a good technician.

What could be a 20 litres for a light frost on a crj is like 50-90 due to a not caring or poor training.

But it is sometimes the pilots as well making poor economical decisions , some USA CRJ pilots were asking for a full body and underwing type 4. 8)

Return to “General Comments”