Airport with private apron advisory service?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Airport with private apron advisory service?

Post by praveen4143 »

Hello everyone..

Just read on the AIM that "some large airports are providing advisory service on aprons through a separate apron management unit staged by airport or terminal operator personnel". I'm guessing this means that the ATS ground frequency does not control you on the apron like most small airports? Or does it mean that a private service gives you ground taxiing information? If so could you give me a few airports in canada then do so. Just curious...

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Airport with private apron advisory service?

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Afternoon Praveen,

A good example of the above would be Montreal - Trudeau (YUL). The apron is controlled by air traffic services on frequency 122.07. Any airplane that wants to move on the apron requests it with "Apron". Apron will then direct aircraft for pushbacks, to parking gates, to start boxes, and taxi instructions up until a taxiway, where they will switch you over to ground to continue your taxi for the active runway.

*Look at pages 255, 261, 262, 264 in the link below *

For example, a plane parked at gate 7, would ask Apron for pushback clearance. Once the crew is ready to taxi, they would advise Apron. Apron would then direct them to: "Taxi to the East Hold and contact Ground 121.9". Once the plane gets there, they would contact ground, and Ground would instruct the pilots with their routing to the runway. For example: "Taxi Delta, cross 10/28, Alpha, short of 24L, contact Tower 119.9"

Adding to your question, deicing in YUL, also has a separate ramp and frequency

* Look at pages 257 *

Using the same example as above. Apron would send the plane to the East Hold. Ground would advise to taxi Delta, cross 10/28, Kilo, and contact AeroMag 122.52. As AeroMag is a deicing company, they "control" the movement on the deicing ramp. They would direct planes to the appropriate deicing bays. Once deicing is complete, They would direct planes back towards a taxiway and to contact Ground. So to continue the story, it would be: "Exit bay 4, right turn, taxi Juliet, short of Alpha, contact Ground"

:arrow: http://www.ivao.ca/charts/CAP5/CYUL.pdf

To compare and contrast things, Halifax (YHZ) used to have an apron advisory frequency (It was removed last summer, and is now controlled by Ground). Pilots would make a radio call on this frequency to let others know of their intentions. Pilots could pushback, and taxi on the apron without having to contact Ground, as the apron was uncontrolled. Pilots would however, as a courtesy, contact Ground, and let them know as well their intentions.

Halifax is now the same as Ottawa (YOW). Pilots should contact Ground, prior to pushback, and ready for taxi. Ground then advises the pilots that the "ramp is at their discretion" meaning that the ramp is uncontrolled, and gives them taxi instructions to the active runway.

Hope that Helps! :D

Last edited by Grey_Wolf on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Grey_Wolf wrote:Halifax is now the same as Ottawa (YOW). Pilots must contact Ground, prior to pushback, and ready for taxi. Ground then advises the pilots that the "ramp is at their discretion" meaning that the ramp is uncontrolled, and gives them taxi instructions to the active runway.
Not technically correct, since the ramp is uncontrolled (in the absence of apron control such as Montreal in your other example), movements are at your discretion and contacting ground prior to pushback is NOT necessary.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Thanks @Grey_Wolf, that was quite informative... I'm guessing the 'Apron' frequency is airport controlled instead of Nav Canada?

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw »

YFB has an apron advisory frequency now.

Its managed by the FBO at the north end and if the ramp is busy up at that end FSS will "hand" you off to them on their freq. They are not controllers and, as far as I can tell, they can't prevent you from doing what normal aircraft do on the ramp. They simply advise you of movements of aircraft, vehicles, and personel on the north ramp.

They have made suggestions on where to deice my aircraft, which I declined due to hold over times and they said nothing further when we deiced at the north end vs. south end as per their request.

ETTW

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

praveen4143 wrote:I'm guessing the 'Apron' frequency is airport controlled instead of Nav Canada?
That's right, most "bigger" airports, the apron is controlled by an airport and/or port authority.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Thanks everyone!!! Quite informative! :prayer: :prayer:
This forum needs a thanks button akin to the other forums out there!!

Return to “General Comments”