Have you ever been divorced?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ever get a divorce?

No
78%
Yes
22%

Total votes: 119

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Have you ever been divorced?

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Just wondering.
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Have you ever been divorced?

Post by iflyforpie »

The trouble with this one is all of the young whipper snappers, the happily (or formerly) shacked-up, and the wise (or cowardly) will vote no.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Maybe AvCanada just has a high percentage of people ( even pilots ) who have managed to stay married.

'effin hippie
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 'effin hippie »

There should be a 'not yet' button....

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

There should be a 'not yet' button
Like a "landed wheels up?" pole?

I have chosen to lead a life in which divorce is the furthest thing from my mind. Just like flying, it seems to require frequent [re]training, and root cause analysis, but it's worth it!

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Whats the point?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

skymarc wrote:Whats the point?

Of life?
Of getting married?
Of getting divorced?
Of no return?
Of sale?
Of view?
Of contact?
Of light?
Of departure?
Of PilotDAR heart warming rant?

Please clarify.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

To quote Ari Gold. 'I'd kill my wife before I divorced her! '

…probably cheaper that way hahahaha jokes aside..

The word divorce is not in my vocabulary

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

The word marriage is not in my vocabulary. Hence divorce is irrelevant. Kinda simplistic poll, in that context.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

'Glad I'm at the end of that list, rather than the beginning! :wink:

BTW, this is the perfect place to rant; I get it out my system, and my wife does not have to listen to it! :idea: Divorce prevention strategy!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Considering it are ya pop'n'fresh?

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Rowdy wrote:Considering it are ya pop'n'fresh?
Not recently.

In the past I have said I would take my blanket, motorcycle and guitars. Just go for milk and bread...
She could file if she can find me I suppose. No point getting a divorce, I'm the wrong type of crazy to want to re-marry.

Plus sort of like you and Ari said I don't believe in divorce, no matter how bad it got I promised I would be with her until one of us dies.

Married was not as bad after I started flying again.

halfmilevis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by halfmilevis »

How does it go again... oh yeah, right... "So now im praying for the end of time"

:)

HMV

Courage is facing the challenge with a healthy fear, not being fearless - Les Stroud
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

I was brought up that when you marry, you marry for life, for better or for worse. My parents were married 38 years before my pops passed away. They would have made it to 60 years if they had lived that long.

After 17 years for me, and being married very young (me 21, her 18), we simply out grew each other. I never would have made it to a CPL without the understanding and complete support of said 1st wife. She was a trooper! Everytime I wanted to chase some tin to the other side of the country, or even my 2 times overseas, she was 100% supportive. Sometimes when I look back, I wonder if we outgrew one another OR maybe it was a midlife crisis for me? I bought a new house, new truck, new Harley, and got me a new redhead too (that was the one positive that came from my divorce). Whatever it was, I wasn't happy that I was in that situation...but from age 20-37 we stayed together with NO help from our families raising our (3 kids) on our own, who have all grown into well adjusted, gainfully employed adults that I couldn't be more proud of.

You don't have to believe in divorce to one day find yourself in the middle of one. They suck, and the financial costs are VERY real.

FYI I remarried and ill die before this one ever ends...Ill make sure of it lol.

In all seriousness...avoid divorce any way you can. It is the 2nd most stressful and depressing situation anyone will experience in their lives, next to a death of someone very close to you.

My 2 cents.

PS...poll results seem off a bit? Almost every "middle aged" pilot I know has been divorced at least once. Im guessing they didn't vote in your poll pop n fresh! I have one friend who is on wife # 4 and he is still relatively young...so maybe room for one more before he takes the long dirt nap 8)

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

The poll was mostly a feeble attempt to make one about divorce that could not be side stepped by remarrying, in case that was polluting the results of the one iflyforpie made.

I have to credit my wife with putting up with me while I was miserable and not flying. I am glad we stayed together but understand when others can't, it's difficult.

I don't really want a new house even though I know I'd like one. I suppose that goes for the truck and red head too. Mid life crisis? I started one when I was a little kid, I doubt I'll ever stop.

To be honest I think it's great if most of AvCanada has managed to stay married it's hard work.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Pop n Fresh wrote:The poll was mostly a feeble attempt to make one about divorce that could not be side stepped by remarrying, in case that was polluting the results of the one iflyforpie made.

I have to credit my wife with putting up with me while I was miserable and not flying. I am glad we stayed together but understand when others can't, it's difficult.

I don't really want a new house even though I know I'd like one. I suppose that goes for the truck and red head too. Mid life crisis? I started one when I was a little kid, I doubt I'll ever stop.

To be honest I think it's great if most of AvCanada has managed to stay married it's hard work.
:supz: 8)

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Russian dating ads? Interesting.

JungleMonkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JungleMonkey »

Getting divorced sucked. Staying together with the ex would have sucked more. I spent $10,000 getting married. I would rather have put it into a house instead of renting an apartment. Getting divorced cost $250,000. Worth every penny... :rolleyes:

SheriffPatGarrett
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SheriffPatGarrett »

I been married with the same for 50 years but I knew guys that had been divorced twelve times...
(they could not afford to buy a beer)
Blame that on the old crewing system...Yup, the head stew would come up to the cockpit after an overnighting flight
and asked the cappie which girl he would pick up...then bubba had the second choice. The wrench generally absconded with the head stew.
Problem was that when back home, the girls would call the crew's wives and report on their husband's performances!

Nowaday, the front end crew is not even using the same hotel as the back end crew, which is often male...and gay.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

We married (relatively) young too with me being 23 and she not a week older than 21. 13 years, two kids, six companies, and countless moves later we are still together. I think the key to any successful marriage in having two selfless partners. Two selfish ones don't last long, and with one selfless partner they will build up animosity and ultimately hatred for their selfish partner until they can't contain it anymore. Sometimes marriage is best avoided.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “General Comments”