Pearson UPX Train Service

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BKerns
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pearson UPX Train Service

Post by BKerns »

UPX Standard fare is $27.50, or $19 with a presto card, for a one way ride.

You would think with all the money invested in this project they would have done their research. Maybe they have, however I can't wrap my head around this service not being an epic fail.

Monthly pass for airport employee's is the special price of only $300. Wow, you mean only 300 bucks to go from Union to Pearson with two intermediate stops I could depart. Since Most likely you already have and need your TTC monthly pass for $141.50 (which mind you can get you to the airport just as fast depending where you live, and can get you many more places than the UPX). Anyone here work out of Pearson and just can't wait to get your hands on this deal? Just to break that down that's $15 a day ($7.50 each way) if you work 20 times a month. Hope they pay you more than minimum wage!

But wait, who am I kidding, this service was not built for you sleazy commuters. No, your tax dollars were used to build this business traveler "extension of your flight experience" sweet ass ride with tray tables and perks! So why am I even asking if you will ride? Should save this question for those working for the banks downtown.

But heck I imagine most of them would prefer a limo, because unless you work within a hop skip and a jump of Union (or one of the 2 intermediate stops) You already need a taxi or ttc to move you to the starting point. And if you are travelling with company it costs the same or less to TTC, Limo, Taxi, or Uber...

I just can't piece this all together. But I have been told I am about 5 years late on complaining about the issue.
---------- ADS -----------

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pearson UPX Train Service

Post by awitzke »

Same reason they change a ridiculous amount of money to take the sky train out of yvr.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

YVR adds $5 dollars to the regular fair, for leaving the airport. No added rates for pass holders.

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

awitzke wrote:Same reason they change a ridiculous amount of money to take the sky train out of yvr.
As much as I despise the $5 YVR surcharge, it pales in comparison to $27.50 for the UPX.

The math doesn't seem to add up. The Canada Line cost almost 4 times the money to build, is about the same length, but is one third the fare.
Canada Line: $9 YVR-Waterfront, 20mins, 19km, $2 billion
UPX: $27.50 YYZ-Union, 23km, 25mins, $456 million

Something else I found interesting is that on average YYZ moves 105,000 people per day, yet UPX only forecasts a ridership of 5000/day. How are the other 100,000 people getting to and from the airport?

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Yeah. This is a joke. I wrote Wynne and her minister and the chair of UPX and got a reply that was almost nonsensical. They are way out of touch and should be trying to get everyone on this thing... Instead they replies that they are going for a "target demographic" which I think is a big mistake. I have so little respect for this province and this city, it is completely mismanaged and they are still digging for more.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Departs every 15 min 7 days a week during "airport hours," and projected to haul 5000 people a day? Couldn't find what YYZ's "airport hours" were, but even if they are say, 5am to 12am that's 19 hours, or 76 trips, or 66 people per trip to add up to 5000 a day. 66 per trip. Also, what made them go with the Japanese trains as oppose to a Bombardier one?

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

The Mole wrote:YVR adds $5 dollars to the regular fair, for leaving the airport. No added rates for pass holders.
If you have a prepaid ticket, you can validate at the YVR station and you don't have to pay the surcharge. If you don't have them when you arrive, you can buy them at the 711 downstairs.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

You guys are surprised that the Wynne government can't manage math that a 4th grader could figure out? Nothing new here.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Funny to see how some things are universal. Seems like airport + train always means that the train company tries to suck extra money out of you.

Similar thing happened in Belgium about 5 years ago. The government governed train company decided to upgrade the railways to the airport so that the airport would be more accessible. The result was they spend a bunch of millions to basically keep the same amount of service and decided to charge 5 EUR for everybody who went to the airport, anticipating a huge increase in travelers. That didn't happen. People didn't want to pay extra, the numbers stayed the same or even went down a bit.

The solution ? Increase the 5 EUR to 6 EUR since we don't have enough people to pay our investment back !

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
checkremarks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by checkremarks »

Interesting because to take a taxi from YYZ to Union Station would be a lot more than $27.50 especially during airport operating hours that fall within Toronto traffic rush hour. Where the Gardner "Express Way" goes narrows to 2 lanes is always plugged no matter what time of day.Yet the secret is on the ground level of the arrivals Terminal 1 building and Terminal 3 building where the the 192 TTC Airport "Rocket" will take you to Kipling Subway Station and than all the way to Union for just $3.00. Great value. Takes longer.

I think because of the convenience of the train, many people visiting YYZ for the first time will happily pay that ridiculous fare because they don't know better. Last time I remember being in YYZ, the TTC 192 bus is not well advertised in the Terminal with directions or help, yet I imagine this UP "Express" will be well advertised.

I think for everyone who works at YYZ should be offered the same $3.00 fare to match that of the TTC.

At the end of the day, I can't justify spending $300 a month on that transit, It is literally cheaper to drive with a decently fuel efficient car and that includes insurance.

More heavy discounts need to be offered to YYZ workers.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"
"Why don't you knock it off with all them negative waves"
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I had high hopes for this when it was announced. I used to live in a community west of Toronto. Always thought it would have been great to get on the go train to Union Station then this express train to the airport.

The monthly cost of both of these tickets are nearly prohibitive of anyone who would want to use them on a regular basis. Too bad really.

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Can you elaborate?
YTZ to YYZ cost about $60 by taxi.
If I can take the free Porter shuttle to Union station then the UPX at $27.50, whats the catch?

BKerns
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BKerns »

I don't think the UPX was built to connect YTZ to YYZ. The idea is that to hitch a ride on the UPX for most people will require TTC or a taxi at the Union end of the line anyways. So the idea that UPX was not integrated into one of the services already existing (GO/TTC) just makes it a waist of what could have been a much better thing.

Say I live at King and Bathurst:
1) TTC bathurst streetcar to the subway, to catch the 192-Cost $3- Time to Pearson 1 hour
2) TTC or Taxi to union 3-10 bucks, catch the UPX for another 27.50- Time to Pearson 50min-1hour
With two I could go to one of the intermediate stops and that could save a few bucks maybe
3) Taxi to the airport $55- Time 30min-1:15 depending on traffic

So make about a 1 km radius around union and everyone working and living within that should be pleased with the UPX. I would think everyone else will take the cheaper or more convenient option of TTC or Taxi. And sure you say well the taxi will be stuck in traffic. Well what the heck will it be like trying to take a taxi to union at 5pm and navigating to the UPX track?

The others who will benefit are those who need to catch a Go train from Union. UPX would be pretty convenient and worth the charge to get right by the go track say to go from Pearson to Hamilton etc.

Its a whole lot of train for so few people IMO

Fake it till you make it.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I would be reluctant to board this particular train in any case, because I see that it is not automated! It has a human crew, which seems a little risky to me.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

Pearson UPX train service is not overpriced compared to other similar services worldwide. Try the Heathrow express if you want to see expensive fares.
For once I think they have got it right. It is not aimed at the airport worker.....nor should it be.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Married a Canadian wrote:Pearson UPX train service is not overpriced compared to other similar services worldwide. Try the Heathrow express if you want to see expensive fares.
For once I think they have got it right. It is not aimed at the airport worker.....nor should it be.

As you said - this train was not built for YYZ airport staff. It was built for tourists and business people hence the gouging prices charged.

Still, there is likely millions in incremental annual revenue available were the staff pricing to be more affordibly set. My guess is that the actual revenues generated post Pan Am games will fall far short of projections and revenue enhancement initiatives such as incentivizing potential frequent users (i.e. Airport staff) will be back on the radar screen before too long.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Anyone go for a spin on the train lately? Has it been jammed full like a sardine can or barren?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Married a Canadian wrote:Pearson UPX train service is not overpriced compared to other similar services worldwide. Try the Heathrow express if you want to see expensive fares.
Yes but don't forget at Heathrow you also have the option to get the subway right at the terminal. Something lacking in YYZ

Return to “General Comments”