Ferry flying question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AEROMONKEY
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ferry flying question

Post by AEROMONKEY »

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me out with this.
Here in YQT we get a lot of aircraft that are being ferried overseas. They come out of the states clear customs, usually spend the night here. My boss is looking to do a little advertising to attract a few more ferry companies to stop here, question is..."which publications would be best to place an ad" or any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ferry flying question

Post by AWOS »

Controller, Trade-A-Plane, etc...

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Is that show on discovery about ferrying planes still on? I think they called it "When Airplanes Attack" or something maybe call that guy up and get a featured stop on an episode.

Or talk to all the pilots, get the names of their companies/pilots and directly market to them.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

AEROMONKEY wrote:Hi just wondering if anyone can help me out with this.
Here in YQT we get a lot of aircraft that are being ferried overseas. They come out of the states clear customs, usually spend the night here. My boss is looking to do a little advertising to attract a few more ferry companies to stop here, question is..."which publications would be best to place an ad" or any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
The best one ever was "global peace ambassadors" :)

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Strega wrote:
The best one ever was "global peace ambassadors" :)
The value of the temporary shelter and free oil bath the SP gave to all the pipers and cessnas it literally took under its wings should not be underestimated.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

The value of the temporary shelter and free oil bath the SP gave to all the pipers and cessnas it literally took under its wings should not be underestimated.
I have a pic of a 150 under it ( after it was moved from directly behind the terminal),,, I'll see if I can find it:)

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Aeromonkey,

I bet your boss would be happy if you filled up things like this once a week :)

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (538.72 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1004.46 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Honestly the best way to success is through word of mouth and repeat business. I've ferried aircraft a fair bit, and have come across two types of ferry pilots - the ones who are charging a flat fee to ferry an aircraft and are looking to save every nickel and dime along the way to put more money in their pocket, and the ones who are ferrying their company's own aircraft for work elsewhere. I was the latter but came across many of the former.

To attract these two types you need cheap services, like having the cheapest or complimentary engine heating for small aircraft in the winter, anything that adds money to the pilot's pocket. For those who are less concerned about the small costs, courteous service and a comfortable place to flight plan. After hopscotching across the country all day, there's nothing better than having a helpful, smiling person to help put the wing covers on, offer rides to the hotel, and have a list of hotels ready with good deals.

Finally the third place to attract business are the professional handling companies that plan routes for ferry pilots and companies. These are a bit tougher to crack as they generally just look for the most efficient route, but if you can get in touch with them you might have a shot.

amraam
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by amraam »

Have the cheapest contract fuel on the airfield!

amraam

Return to “General Comments”