Aussie Looking to Come to Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

Aussie Looking to Come to Canada

Post by AlexanderBrown1994 »

G'day folks,

My name's Alex and I'm slowly chipping away at my Commercial Pilot License in Australia. I'm still a long way off yet!

There's an allure about Canada that I can't escape, and I've decided to immigrate to your fine country after I complete my CPL in a couple of years.

I know a lot of folks are apprehensive of foreign pilots flying in Canada - as are we in Australia. But I figure it'll be an opportunity to start a new life in a foreign locale. The jobs market in Australia, overall, is stuffed and I don't see it improving soon. Hell, I might love it so much that I don't return to Oz. I'm told that Canadians are lovely people, and I hope that turns out to be true. Plus, I do enjoy the cold weather more than the hot weather.

I'm wondering if any of you can offer an Aussie any advice on finding a first job in Canada. I don't care where, or what aircraft. I'd more than happilly do ramp work if it led to a seat in the cockpit. I'd be coming with around 250TT, 40 ME and 100 Command (those are just estimates). Not sure if it's any help but I'd also have a degree in Political Science from the University of Queensland.

Thanks guys :D I'm not looking to take your jobs. I want to assimilate into Canadian society and embrace it. As I said, there's been an allure about Canada that I can't get out of my head.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Aussie Looking to Come to Canada

Post by photofly »

I don't believe anyone has a problem with foreign pilots who come from overseas, get themselves a work permit, and look for jobs like everyone else.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (http://cic.gc.ca) is the department whose requirements you must satisfy to get a job here. After that you're in the same boat as every other newly qualified CPL and the advice that's given (frequently!) on here applies to you too.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Start getting a work permit right now (if able). The process can take, literally, years, depending on what you apply for.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Word of oil prices going down has not made it there yet, huh?
AlexanderBrown1994 wrote: I'm told that Canadians are lovely people, and I hope that turns out to be true. Plus, I do enjoy the cold weather more than the hot weather.
Ha! Who told you that? We are barbarians. There is a severe lack of civilization here. I have never seen a single shop where you could buy hot meat pies. No lie.
AlexanderBrown1994 wrote:I'm wondering if any of you can offer an Aussie any advice on finding a first job in Canada. I don't care where, or what aircraft. I'd more than happilly do ramp work if it led to a seat in the cockpit.
I suspect it is similar for you as a person born here. Just get a around 100 hours cross country PIC to set yourself apart. Or better yet a couple thousand hours multi, night, turbine, PIC time, write the ATPL test and you might have your choice of company.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Beefitarian wrote:Ha! Who told you that? We are barbarians. There is a severe lack of civilization here. I have never seen a single shop where you could buy hot meat pies. No lie.
There's a hippy joint in Whitehorse of all places that sells meat pies, not half bad either - still haven't got the pastry spot on, but a step in the right direction!

From my experience its the TFW who come over, have no intention of remaining here and suck up seasonal jobs are the guys who aren't welcome. As you would have pieced together, often its a joint effort between the company and the employee to get these things approved, they require some "creative" paperwork.

I know a couple guys from NZ/Aussie flying around out west and they love it here, all been 4+ years and pretty settled in. I know of one guy who copped a heap of grief from local guys about being from down under, but being a douche bag it was expected.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

PointyEngine wrote:I know of one guy who copped a heap of grief from local guys about being from down under, but being a douche bag it was expected.
Is that "Iced Kiwi"?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Beefitarian wrote:I have never seen a single shop where you could buy hot meat pies. No lie.
Wong's Scottish Meat Pies in downtown Toronto. Can't be beat!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'd tend to avoid any of Wong's meat pies, let alone Wong's Scottish meat pies... Doesn't fit. Sounds suspicious.

Anyway, Alex, most will fail... I'm sorry to say that 9 in 10 wannabes won't get work and of the ones that do maybe a quarter will do well with it... If it's still appealing look at the sticky on prune's Canada forum. Pretty much layed out there. But the grass is unlikely to be greener than Aus.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

I met an Aussie who did his CPL up here while he was on a traveling visa. He ended up going back to Aus and converting his license back to Australian. Said he had a few friends who were flying in the north and west. Apparently they area always hurting for good pilots out in the bush. So take a look into that. Go west or north.. I bet you'll find a bush job and at least you're in the warmth VS. cold Canada.

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

altiplano wrote:Anyway, Alex, most will fail... I'm sorry to say that 9 in 10 wannabes won't get work and of the ones that do maybe a quarter will do well with it... If it's still appealing look at the sticky on prune's Canada forum. Pretty much layed out there. But the grass is unlikely to be greener than Aus.
I know a guy with 1,500 hours TT - he was a former instructor of mine back when I was just starting circuits -, who's been in Darwin for over a year, with no work. Even the outback charters, flying singles, except a handful, want 400 hours+ TT. So the grass is definitely not greener (literally too!) over here. At least in Canada, you folks have a hell of a lot more smaller operators that will give consideration to those with low time (at least, what I've read), even if it's only ramp work. In Australia, ramp work is looked down upon like the plague. Do that, and you're stuffed over here. No-one even offers it - it's either, you're in the cockpit or, "no, sorry, come back later".

I suppose my reason for wanting to come to Canada is the variety of work and the idea of starting a new life somewhere.

Also, I'd say that 9 in 10 statistic is valid over here too. It just means that I'm going to have to be part of the 1 in 10 that DOES get work - and that, I intend to do :)

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Hi Alexander,

I gave this advice to the last Australian on Avcanada who posted about coming to Canada looking for a piloting job so I will repeat it here...

"A few tips to help you fit in...

No more of this "mate" stuff and How ya going. Eh is quite understandable. Save the dude terminology for Americans. Don't be hurt if people think you are from England.

Most of the poisonous living stuff doesn't exist and nothing really hops round here. But watch out for bears and cougars out west.

Definitely do not(I repeat DO NOT) open a container of vegemite while in Canada. It is considered to be extremely offensive and can lead to immediate arrest and deportation. Shrimp on the Barbi is not so popular in these parts. Ask for some prairie oysters instead if you want seafood.

If you head up to Resolute or Cambridge Bay in the cool season, remember to bring at least a windbreaker to go with your Khaki shorts.

If you end up in Quebec, they may have a little trouble understanding your accent but if you repeatedly say 'Speak English' loudly, they will understand you better, especially if followed by "Grenouille" which means hello.

Albertans love to talk about the Trudeau dynasty and strong emphasis on greenpeace issues can be helpful in landing a job in that interview.

You may want to try it as well as your predecessor was able to remain in Canada for a full two weeks prior to deportation. He just could not stay away from the vegemite.

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

pelmet wrote:Hi Alexander,

I gave this advice to the last Australian on Avcanada who posted about coming to Canada looking for a piloting job so I will repeat it here...

"A few tips to help you fit in...

No more of this "mate" stuff and How ya going. Eh is quite understandable. Save the dude terminology for Americans. Don't be hurt if people think you are from England.

Most of the poisonous living stuff doesn't exist and nothing really hops round here. But watch out for bears and cougars out west.

Definitely do not(I repeat DO NOT) open a container of vegemite while in Canada. It is considered to be extremely offensive and can lead to immediate arrest and deportation. Shrimp on the Barbi is not so popular in these parts. Ask for some prairie oysters instead if you want seafood.

If you head up to Resolute or Cambridge Bay in the cool season, remember to bring at least a windbreaker to go with your Khaki shorts.

If you end up in Quebec, they may have a little trouble understanding your accent but if you repeatedly say 'Speak English' loudly, they will understand you better, especially if followed by "Grenouille" which means hello.

Albertans love to talk about the Trudeau dynasty and strong emphasis on greenpeace issues can be helpful in landing a job in that interview.

You may want to try it as well as your predecessor was able to remain in Canada for a full two weeks prior to deportation. He just could not stay away from the vegemite.
Haha that's gold! Ooh, the vegemite might be a problem - I love the stuff!

But, seriously, thank you all for your responses. Bush flying seems excellent and it looks like it would be a hell of a lot of fun - not to mention a distinct challenge from the flat flying we have in Oz.

I know it's going to be difficult to find a job in Canada - the same as over here -, but with more operators there than in Australia, even if I have 1/1000th more of a chance, I'm doing it. As I said, I've always wanted to come to Canada.

Also, I guess, there's a company in Sydney that offers a floatplane rating on a Beaver - roughly 5 hours to comply with CASA's standards, but I could tell the Chief Pilot I need to abide by TC's standards. Would it be worth doing my float training over in Canada, or should I do it here?

Again, thanks for your responses. Already I'm impressed with Canadians and their humour! :D

POATC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by POATC »

Alex,

My advice, FWIW, stop flying now.
Come over here and find a good school to finish your training here. Do an instructor rating with them and impress them every day your there so that when you have finished your training and have spent 20G's with them they give you a job. Get some experience and then see where that takes you.

JG
(immigrant and CPL)

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

POATC wrote:Alex,

My advice, FWIW, stop flying now.
Come over here and find a good school to finish your training here. Do an instructor rating with them and impress them every day your there so that when you have finished your training and have spent 20G's with them they give you a job. Get some experience and then see where that takes you.

JG
(immigrant and CPL)
JG, I would love to, believe me, I really, really would. Thanks for the advice. I wish I could take it on board. I'd love nothing more than to be waiting at the gate at Brisbane Airport tomorrow, but my financial circumstances and current commitments in Australia (namely my university degree) say otherwise. Otherwise I'd be on the first flight to Ottawa. I know that doesn't sound like I'm keen to come over, but I don't want to throw my uni degree away given I'm almost finished it.

In regards to an Instructor rating, how hard would it be to get my Canadian CFI? My heart's been set on going to the Canadian bush but I'm open to anything.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

So there are in theory two places to grab a hot pie for lunch, one in Yellow knife the other in Toronna. Not exactly one on every block.

Marmite is much easier to find than veggimite. Not sure of the difference but I know there is one.

I think you'll do ok, you might even get an actual flying pilot job eventually. Go read the road trip advice in the bush section here. Probably easier than becoming an instructor.

Best of luck.

Edit: easier to obtain the job I mean. Obviously there will typically be more physical labour in the bush.

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beefitarian wrote:So there are in theory two places to grab a hot pie for lunch, one in Yellow knife the other in Toronna. Not exactly one on every block.
I'm loving this banter about pies! It's putting a massive smile on my face :)
Beefitarian wrote:Marmite is much easier to find than veggimite. Not sure of the difference but I know there is one.
*Shudders* Marmite.
Beefitarian wrote:I think you'll do ok, you might even get an actual flying pilot job eventually. Go read the road trip advice in the bush section here. Probably easier than becoming an instructor.

Best of luck.

Edit: easier to obtain the job I mean. Obviously there will typically be more physical labour in the bush.
Thanks for the encouragement, Beefitarian. I'm looking forward to a road trip - more so in a foreign country. Physical labour doesn't worry me - I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Could definitely be worth looking at costs for a float rating or completing your IFR in Canada. In comparison to NZ, A Seneca II was going for $750/hr, compared to half that here (This was in 2010). Float time was a shade over $700/hr, albeit on a C.206. Would have been much cheaper, and more applicable to learn from guys on the west coast who are in the crap everyday. Be mindful that all prices you are quoted exclude tax, even prices in stores exclude tax until you checkout.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Low time jobs are muchly lacking here as well. With less than 500hrs its slim pickings, even in the bush. I mean, there is the odd random 'right place right time right person' stories...

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rowdy wrote:Low time jobs are muchly lacking here as well. With less than 500hrs its slim pickings, even in the bush. I mean, there is the odd random 'right place right time right person' stories...
Slim odds, but I'll take it. The jobs in Australia are nonexistent given the glut of pilots to jobs available. I know supply exceeds demand in Canada too, but with more operators, there's more doors that could open.

AlexanderBrown1994
Rank 0
Rank 0

PointyEngine wrote:Could definitely be worth looking at costs for a float rating or completing your IFR in Canada. In comparison to NZ, A Seneca II was going for $750/hr, compared to half that here (This was in 2010). Float time was a shade over $700/hr, albeit on a C.206. Would have been much cheaper, and more applicable to learn from guys on the west coast who are in the crap everyday. Be mindful that all prices you are quoted exclude tax, even prices in stores exclude tax until you checkout.
As it happens, I stumbled upon a company in Sydney that offers a 5-hour float rating on a de Havilland Beaver for $3k Australian. I know 5 hours isn't much, but it's SOMETHING. If I were to meet TC's requirements, would this rating transfer to a Canadian CPL?

Or is it just easier to do a float rating in Canada?

Return to “General Comments”