Perimeter

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Intheclouds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Perimeter

Post by Intheclouds »

Heard mixed stuff bout Perimter, herd morale is down, good place to start?
Heard lots of peeps r leaving, and long wait to go flight line.
Insight ppreciated
---------- ADS -----------

YQkC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Perimeter

Post by YQkC »

Great place to start. Bad time to start and bad industry to start in.

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JoeShmoe »

You heard mixed things about perimeter so you came to avcanada to sort it out?

Good Luck...

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

The founder and former President of Perimeter passed away a few days ago.

http://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/p ... ame%7CASC/

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

More info on Bill in "AvCanada's Wall"

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

From what I've been told it used to be a good place to go as a new pilot. However things have changed and what used to be a year or so on the ramp has (reportedly) become 2+. There are lots of other options out there if you want to fly. I managed to find a Navajo gig with 250 hours. The flying so far is great, and good experience. Even if it's in a piston twin. Better than ramping IMO.

Take a look into Wasaya, North Star, Air Bravo, Cargo North and other operators in the NW Ontario region. If you're luck you'll fly quick, on the longer side it could be a few months but the progression up here seems to be pretty fast. Faster than Perimeter and other comparable operators.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Even if it's in a piston twin.
Any ass can fly a turbine - they should put the little rabbit/turtle symbols from lawn tractors next to the power levers, 'cos it's pretty much that simple. Bugger up the approach, and get going too fast, haul the levers back to flight idle, props disc up and you go slow.. Pistons, OTOH, take a little more thinking and planning so you don't shock cool the cylinders and cause problems down the road..
Don't discount the humble 'Ho - lots of people cut their teeth on them

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Hmmm. I always thought a turbine powered aircraft also took some planning to get it to do what you wanted. Never thought of the rabbit / turtle icon beside the throttles. That would have made my job so much easier.

I guess I'm just any old Ass then.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flypilot »

I flew a Ho for 1000hours Before moving to a turbine. I was quite surprised how easy it was compared to the PA31.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

North Shore wrote:
Even if it's in a piston twin.
Any ass can fly a turbine - they should put the little rabbit/turtle symbols from lawn tractors next to the power levers, 'cos it's pretty much that simple. Bugger up the approach, and get going too fast, haul the levers back to flight idle, props disc up and you go slow.. Pistons, OTOH, take a little more thinking and planning so you don't shock cool the cylinders and cause problems down the road..
Don't discount the humble 'Ho - lots of people cut their teeth on them

Oh yes, I agree. Planning descents, timed cooling etc. It's all new to me but the last few weeks have shown me how much more work it is than I though it would be. :D We have one pilot here who flew King Air 100/200 for a few years and he said it was really hard getting into a piston twin after flying them.

YQkC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YQkC »

You guys obviously haven't flown a metro lol

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Intheclouds wrote:herd morale is down, good place to start?

You heard incorrectly. Herd morale has never been better, all the grass you can eat!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Turbines are two lever airplanes. Set lever A and then leave-her B

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

awitzke wrote:However things have changed and what used to be a year or so on the ramp has (reportedly) become 2+.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't two years closer to the normal wait for ramping at most places? It seems that people have long since forgot life before 2010. Things have been progressing quickly for the last three years or so and have only recently started to slow down a little. If you choose to live in a major city with urban services and things to do, you will wait longer to get in an airplane. Many people, myself included, worked the ramp/dock for a very long time (more than two years) before stepping foot into an aircraft. Believing otherwise is just millennial entitlement and a short collective memory.

Hold your head up though, there's a pilot shortage coming!

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AWOS »

BE20 Driver wrote:
awitzke wrote:However things have changed and what used to be a year or so on the ramp has (reportedly) become 2+.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't two years closer to the normal wait for ramping at most places? It seems that people have long since forgot life before 2010. Things have been progressing quickly for the last three years or so and have only recently started to slow down a little. If you choose to live in a major city with urban services and things to do, you will wait longer to get in an airplane. Many people, myself included, worked the ramp/dock for a very long time (more than two years) before stepping foot into an aircraft. Believing otherwise is just millennial entitlement and a short collective memory.

Hold your head up though, there's a pilot shortage coming!

Eh, it really depends where you go. A smaller operation can get you into a plane in under a year if you work hard. A bigger operation like Perimeter attracts a lot of people can will have very long waits as a result.
The best thing is to know people and/or be in the right place at the right time. I worked ground jobs while working on my licenses and found myself with a flying job shortly after finishing school. One of the bigger mistakes someone can make is sitting on their ass through school and then expect to start flying as soon as they get their ticket - or expect some structured ramp "programme" at Perimeter. Working while learning to fly is not hard at all.

Return to “General Comments”