RCAF Fleet

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

RCAF Fleet

Post by Lurch »

A friend is applying and we got to discussing the fleet and his aircraft options. I was on the RCAF website and I noticed they didn't list the King Air C90. I have seen it as recently as a few months ago. Did they recently remove it from the fleet or is it missing from the website?

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft.page
---------- ADS -----------

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
flyingreg38
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: RCAF Fleet

Post by flyingreg38 »

We still have them in Southport Mb, used for Phase3 training.

The Bell 412's used for the helo multi engine and IFR courses are also missing on the website (they are former Griffons with some of the military systems removed). And no mention of the Grob120A either.

Those training aircraft are civilian registered, owned by KF Aero (former Kelowna Flightcraft), maybe that's why...

Greg

stop dreaming and start flying !
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

It's my understanding that the King Air 90s are owned and operated by Allied Wings, a civilian company with civilian flight instructors, to train military pilots. In other words they are not RCAF aircraft.

duramaxguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by duramaxguy »

The Bell 412's are also owned and maintained by Canadian Helicopters

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

linecrew wrote:It's my understanding that the King Air 90s are owned and operated by Allied Wings, a civilian company with civilian flight instructors, to train military pilots. In other words they are not RCAF aircraft.
Aren't the Hawk's and Harvard's also owned by a civilian company/Allied Wings?

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
flyingreg38
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingreg38 »

No, they are owned by CAE who bought the assets/contract from Bombardier earlier this year I think...
They operate from MooseJaw, Sk under the NFTC program.
http://www.cae.com/CAE-to-acquire-Bomba ... -offering/

AlliedWings, now KFAero Defence Programs, owns the assets in Southport, Mb. We own the Grob 120A's and KingAir C90's.
Canadian Helicopters owns the Bell 206's/412's I think.

Greg

stop dreaming and start flying !
bradley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bradley »

The whole thing of who owns what is a bit convoluted, but the CF website is inconsistent in the way they display it.

At Allied Wings (KF Aerospace), the aircraft are all owned by the contractor and carry civilian registrations. They are flown by both military and civilian instructors to teach military students (civilian and military instructors fly the Grob and 206, military instructors fly the 412 and King Air). Canadian Helicopters is just a subcontractor that maintains the helos.

At NFTC, all the aircraft and assets are actually owned by a DND controlled, non-profit third party, then leased to CAE (formerly Bombardier) to run the NFTC program. The big difference is that the Harvards and Hawks don't carry civilian registrations. When CAE took over NFTC, they didn't actually acquire the aircraft, they just bought the contract to run the program for the next 5 years (thus the measly price tag).

You'll find that the Hawks and Harvards are on the website, the Grobs, King Airs and training 412s aren't, yet for some reason the 206s are, even though they are run under the same contract. That website is full of mistakes though, it's probably run by some public affairs officer who knows nothing about the aircraft.

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cod Father »

Don't forget the Discovery Air Alpha Jets and Westwind 1124s under contract to DND and 414 Squadron of 3 Wing Bagotville

http://www.discoveryair-ds.com/

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

These are not owned nor operated by the military. Except for the navs in the backseats flipping the jammer switch to on.

Going for the deck at corner
bradley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bradley »

There are other leased aircraft flown by CF crews that don't/didn't show up on the page too, like the MEUF King Airs in Trenton, or the CH-178s we were flying in Afghanistan.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

A friend flies the Westwind and his son flies the Alphajet. Both are ex-military. A great bit of fun in your retirement years.

Barney

Return to “General Comments”