Advanced Compass Testing for Pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TngoLma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advanced Compass Testing for Pilots

Post by TngoLma »

What is the advanced Compass Test? Air Canada and affiliates like Air Georgian have them pre-employment I understand. Have you had to do one?
Any information from former or current Georgian employees on what the job is like would also be appreciated.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Advanced Compass Testing for Pilots

Post by Meatservo »

Look it up on the Google. That's what I just did. Looks like a bunch of bullshit to me, but I'm old and intolerant. Looks like there are parts you can study for. Know your basic physics equations and practice your mental arithmetic. I guess.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

http://www.latestpilotjobs.com/site/myp ... elist.html

Here's an explanation of what it is.

Canada is really one of the few countries that doesn't use this as part of the assessment for pilot's. Besides AC and what now sounds like the regional carriers of AC. Any namely airline in the world has similar test as part of the interview process / cadet selection process.

I actually think these tests, along with a face to face interview, and a sim eval can go a long way to prevent any obvious issues in the flight deck that so often get overlooked when hiring based off a face to face. Then there's the intertwined stuff that you can do tests on, but won't actually determine much about your actual qualifications for a job, like meatservo says.

Best of luck.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

loopa wrote:Canada is really one of the few countries that doesn't use this as part of the assessment for pilot's. Besides AC and what now sounds like the regional carriers of AC. Any namely airline in the world has similar test as part of the interview process / cadet selection process.

I actually think these tests, along with a face to face interview, and a sim eval can go a long way to prevent any obvious issues in the flight deck that so often get overlooked when hiring based off a face to face. Then there's the intertwined stuff that you can do tests on, but won't actually determine much about your actual qualifications for a job, like meatservo says.
Still plenty of Airlines who don't do this. These tests are not 100% - douchebags still get through and good people are rejected.

I've been hired over the phone.

I've been hired after a simple 20 minute chat after which I was told "You are welcome.."

I got my present job after an informal chat followed by a 30 minute Simulator. They simply wanted to see if I would fit in and if I could fly and knew what I was doing. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I work for a corporate flight department and we do the COMPASS test as well.

If you hold a whiskey compass up to a candidate's head and the compass starts to SPIN around quickly, they're hired. :smt048

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

I thought handwriting analysis was the bee's knees! I was probably rejected on that basis a dozen times. How the mighty have fallen!

Why would we need more filters if there's a pilot shortage looming?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

planett wrote:Why would we need more filters if there's a pilot shortage looming?
The "Pilot Shortage" has been coming since I started flying (30+years ago...).

Still waiting....

There's a shortage of experienced Type Rated Pilots.

When I apply for a job I'm not being called by a secretary or some HR flunky. I'm being called by Chief Pilots and higher.

Even though I turned down two offers in both cases I was told "Call me if you ever need a job".

Nice to deal with professionals.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
always hopeful
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by always hopeful »

Seems to me they could come up with a better way to weed out out the "no-goodniks". May I suggest starting in dispatch or perhaps working the ramp for a time? All jokes aside, good luck with the interview and if you get a job can I use you as a reference?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Eric Janson wrote:
loopa wrote:Canada is really one of the few countries that doesn't use this as part of the assessment for pilot's. Besides AC and what now sounds like the regional carriers of AC. Any namely airline in the world has similar test as part of the interview process / cadet selection process.

Still plenty of Airlines who don't do this. These tests are not 100% - douchebags still get through and good people are rejected.

I've been hired after a simple 20 minute chat after which I was told "You are welcome.."

I got my present job after an informal chat followed by a 30 minute Simulator. They simply wanted to see if I would fit in and if I could fly and knew what I was doing. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.
Isn't that the truth. That and a few phone calls because if you've been around for longer than a few years someone always knows someone who knows you, even if you're not in Canada..Canadian expats all over the world. You can make it as complicated as you like, there are still idiots that get through.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

tbaylx wrote:
Eric Janson wrote:

Isn't that the truth. That and a few phone calls because if you've been around for longer than a few years someone always knows someone who knows you, even if you're not in Canada..Canadian expats all over the world. You can make it as complicated as you like, there are still idiots that get through.
Eric, you say a lot of great pilot's (assuming that's what you meant by good people) don't make it through these exams. I'd have to agree with you as I've witnessed the same thing. But one thing remains a mystery, irrespective of how great they have been to date. Are there any red flags that pop up in their psychometric testing that could one day be the reason you don't call them a great pilot any more? You and I don't know the answers to these questions. For all you and I know, perhaps they were being truthful on the exams and were flagged with psychological inconsistencies that haven't surfaced to date; yet the moment the right swiss cheese holes line up, you'll be stunned at the actions/inactions of this person you once thought was a great pilot. I'm not saying that anyone who does terribly on the test just shouldn't fly. Not at all, but that there are intertwined psychological aspects in our jobs that requires a certain type of mindset. And that these exams can be a better method to evaluate ones mindset in comparison to a phone call/interview/TMAAT questions. Just food for thought.

Also who you say is a good pilot may be a much different version than what I think is a good pilot, or tbaylx. Just like anyone else, we all have our reasons and opinions for what makes a good pilot. Who knows, maybe someone says a person is a great pilot because they are friends. Or maybe because the said person doesn't speak up and just rolls with the punches and makes you look like a rock star (just a few examples). Surely a person like this would be the epitome of a CRM break down when shit hits the fan. Maybe these "douchebags" you speak of is an opinion formulated by you and your common-valued friends at your company, and that this would in fact be the person that saves your ass one day. Again... all just food for thought. I just think Compass Testing is a very unbiased and fair evaluation of your head. What the employer chooses to do with this is purely up to them. And I agree, sometimes it results to unjustified PFO's. But that again is my opinion of an unjustified PFO. Maybe you would think a PFO is worthy due to our differences in opinion. Etc

I think a good sim evaluation can also remove the need for Compass Tests. Combined I think they do wonders - as useless as they may seem at face value.

Return to “General Comments”