Wildfires in Sask, evacs in LaRonge

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Wildfires in Sask, evacs in LaRonge

Post by DanWEC »

Been on the news countrywide, worst fire season in decades in Saskatchewan. LaRonge has been evacuated. Currently have about 50 fires burning and crews coming in from across the country.
50+ aircraft from all provinces working hard, despite the smoke here hampering efforts.

Hasn't been much talk about it on the forum here, just want to give a HUGE shout out to all the people working what has become a very serious situation.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
fire.jpg
fire.jpg (555.87 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Wildfires in Sask, evacs in LaRonge

Post by CD »

My best friend works with Northern Air Ops in La Ronge and I've been following the updates over the last few weeks. As of last night the fire is reported at the airport...

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Convairs are based out of Buffalo right now, and the residents are in facilities in Cold Lake. Guys are saying they might be going back I'm 2 days. I feel for all the people who've had to uproot

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

I was flying there in '89 when the whole flippin' province lit up one night, but La Ronge itself was never in any danger. I spent the rest of that summer in a Beaver looking straight down because that was all you could see. This is just unbelievable. Sure feel bad for everyone that's had to pull out. :cry:

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Flew over today and wow. It looks like the whole province is on fire. I've seen lots of big fires, many times bigger than what I saw today, but I have never seen anything 10% as widespread as today. Looks like a war zone.

Tantrum1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tantrum1 »

It's incredible what's going on there, I used to live and work in La Ronge quite a few years back and still have friends there at the tanker base, best wishes to them!

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

I'm north of La Ronge and right now, with a fire 15 miles west and a westerly wind, it is hardly breathable. We are praying for a wind change but it isn't in the short term forecast.

RB

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

La Ronge Fire Situation Update (July 7/2015 10:00am)

-Fire is 2km north west and 1.5km north of the Town La Ronge.
-Back burn operations were conducted in the north westerly flank of the Egg Fire.
-Additional fire departments and the sky crane have arrived.
-Military will be deployed in the next 12-24 hours.
-All essential services are operating at this time.
-Next update is July 7/2015 at 3pm.

atwork
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atwork »

Mandatory evacuation order was lifted yesterday, the town is fine the airport is a bit singed especially on the east and north sides, lost a few homes/cabins at Wadin bay just north of town and too many cabins were lost out on the lake. Great work by all involved is the only reason this fire didn't get into town.

Attachments
fire1.jpg
fire1.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
I refuse to go bungee jumping... I came into this world because of a broken rubber, I'm not leaving because of one

Return to “General Comments”