Fuel Rant (Atikoken)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Fuel Rant (Atikoken)

Post by c150rocks »

HiFlyChick wrote:Most call-out charges that I've paid are in the $100 - $150 range....

Yikes.....
---------- ADS -----------

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

AllClutch wrote:I think its rude to INSIST that someone not be paid for their time and services rendered, especially if they are told there will be fees levied ahead of time.

You missed my point and I was not intending to be personal or rude.

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

CID wrote:
I don't know the gentlemen that blew me ( didn't catch his name)
Sounds like a reasonable price for fuel, callout and a blowjob. It's $20 more in town.
LOL...... ooops, didn't quite understand that comment till now but I edited that post to keep in clean.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

c150rocks wrote:
digits_ wrote:
c150rocks wrote: I explained that with your cost of fuel, the call out should factored in
So everybody should pay extra because you want to land there when they aren't normally working ?
Extra fees suck, but could have easily be avoided by calling them in advance. Fuel trucks, equipment, labour, administration costs, all that stuff costs money. Opening everything up for maybe 20 CAD profit on a 78 liter purchase isn't going to cut it. 75 CAD isn't excessive either.

Be happy fuel was available at all, it's getting harder to find it !
still think it's a rip off during the day when there are so many other airports that have options when staff are not onsite but appreciate your comment.
There is literally no one ever at the airport there. Even during the week.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

There arent too many places in N Ontario without a weekend call out charge. And that includes bigger places, too.

Is what it is. Pays to do your homework. The volume simply isn't there like in the US

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

Rookie50 wrote:There arent too many places in N Ontario without a weekend call out charge. And that includes bigger places, too.

Is what it is. Pays to do your homework. The volume simply isn't there like in the US
Flew around 1800 N miles with 2/3rds of my fuel stops on the weekend with the 1 call out charge so I will consider myself lucky and I will take the time on my next long cross country to fuel plan with more consideration to where I will refuel. Thanks for the the comments.

Safe Flying

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

You'd really hate flying in NWT or Nunavut. Call-out charges 24/7, and even if the fueller is already at the airport fuelling someone else, you will get dinged too!

esp803

Post by esp803 »

haha Oh man,

I was in Old Crow once doing shuttles into the flats in a 185, weather started to get shitty at base and I wanted 2 additional jerry cans for granny to get me home, Call it 40 litres, after the call out and the gas it came to over $300...

E

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

Donald wrote:You'd really hate flying in NWT or Nunavut. Call-out charges 24/7, and even if the fueller is already at the airport fuelling someone else, you will get dinged too!
And this is exactly why General Aviation has diminished to the levels it is at today. Of course if you are well off these little things are just a cost of doing business but it doesn't have to be this way. Everyone should have the freedom to fly and within financial reach of the average Canadian. Just my opinion!

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

esp803 wrote:haha Oh man,

I was in Old Crow once doing shuttles into the flats in a 185, weather started to get shitty at base and I wanted 2 additional jerry cans for granny to get me home, Call it 40 litres, after the call out and the gas it came to over $300...

E

Insane......even the boss would be fit to be tied getting a bill like that.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Thanks for the fuel report, I have added Atikokan to the database on 100LL.ca, along with a link to this thread. I recommend checking 100LL.ca before your next cross-country trip, and request that you send price reports when you do.

Cheapest gas in Canada right now is still in AB (1.35 to 1.60), so the sticker shock can be a little high for someone from AB travelling east. Apart from some stragglers from MB and SK, BC is a close second for cheapest gas... 1.65 to 1.80 is common.

c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

AirFrame wrote:Thanks for the fuel report, I have added Atikokan to the database on 100LL.ca, along with a link to this thread. I recommend checking 100LL.ca before your next cross-country trip, and request that you send price reports when you do.

Cheapest gas in Canada right now is still in AB (1.35 to 1.60), so the sticker shock can be a little high for someone from AB travelling east. Apart from some stragglers from MB and SK, BC is a close second for cheapest gas... 1.65 to 1.80 is common.
Thanks, I'll definitely bookmark 100ll.ca

airont19\64
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by airont19\64 »

digits_ wrote:
c150rocks wrote: I explained that with your cost of fuel, the call out should factored in
So everybody should pay extra because you want to land there when they aren't normally working ?
Extra fees suck, but could have easily be avoided by calling them in advance. Fuel trucks, equipment, labour, administration costs, all that stuff costs money. Opening everything up for maybe 20 CAD profit on a 78 liter purchase isn't going to cut it. 75 CAD isn't excessive either.

Be happy fuel was available at all, it's getting harder to find it !
This guy clearly did not get your point. hmmm. They could have a better way of going about it, such as self-serve/phone code/ etc. Waste of taxpayers money + yours.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

esp803 wrote:haha Oh man,

E
Fuel in Old Crow is $3.50/litre. The call out fee will be waived if you take Vernon a couple boxes of 3" #6 steel shot shells.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Atikoken? Fort Francis, dridan, kinorah, Sault lookout, all better fuel stops.

I guess I should write something here.
c150rocks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by c150rocks »

Maynard wrote:Atikoken? Fort Francis, dridan, kinorah, Sault lookout, all better fuel stops.
Thanks , will review my options next time. I absolutely love North Western Ontario, I worked and lived in various towns up there Red Lake, Sioux Lookout, Dryden, Thunder Bay and Pickle Lake in my earlier years in aviation. One of my bucket lists is to do a trip back by air and visit all the communities I lived in up in NWT.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Okay, so I just read through this read and while we've spoken the truth, I'm now feeling a bid bad for c150rocks because frankly, we sometimes were a bit harsh and this was after all a rant thread to blow off steam...

So here's a little sympathy that you needed earlier, c150rocks:
Man, that sucks! And in the middle of the day - oh brother! You were ripped off, dude ;)

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Yup, can't really feel too much sympathy for a call out charge or high 100LL prices in "remote" locations. When the CFS specifies a call out charge it is what it is. I'm sure the Town(ship) is paying this gent overtime to come out and pump fuel. They have the overhead of maintaining whatever fuel equipment they use. They have to purchase and store the fuel. I'm sure it is not as simple as running down to the corner gas station/kwik-e-mart and topping up their tank with avgas. On top of all that they probably have the bean counters hounding them that the whole process is a yearly loss for them. As Rookie50 stated, we just don't have the volume of GA traffic like in the US to justify handlers waiting for you at the hold line that do everything except wipe your butt.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Is it just me, or do the guys who use the least amount of fuel whine the most about fuel prices? When I used to be in the business of selling fuel guys would be out buying fuel by the single pound would always complain, but when I did the research, that accounted for less than 5% of the volume sold. Always with the same story about how they would do so much more flying if only the price per litre was less.

It really ignores the fact that for a small plane fuel is peanuts, almost no matter the price compared to the rest of your operating costs.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Shiny Side Up wrote:Is it just me, or do the guys who use the least amount of fuel whine the most about fuel prices? When I used to be in the business of selling fuel guys would be out buying fuel by the single pound would always complain, but when I did the research, that accounted for less than 5% of the volume sold. Always with the same story about how they would do so much more flying if only the price per litre was less.

It really ignores the fact that for a small plane fuel is peanuts, almost no matter the price compared to the rest of your operating costs.
To those who whine too much -- about the cost of anything -- its real tempting to tell them to start a business and compete.

Most have no idea how hard it is, and I suspect those who have done it would refrain from complaining as much about the cost of stuff, or how hard they work in their "job".

Its easier though to whine, isn't it? The Canadian way.

Return to “General Comments”